Thread: What tools do I need to drill 1.5" diameter holes into rock?

Default What tools do I need to drill 1.5" diameter holes into rock?

I'm looking to drill 1.5" diameter holes into rock in order to make a rock candle. I don't know the first thing about tools, but some online searching leads me to believe that I'll need a hammer drill and a masonry bit. Beyond that, there's too many options for drills and bits to know which ones are not capable, just right, or overkill. A quick look at masonry bits at Home Depot's website, for example, shows all different types of masonry bits ranging from around $30 to well into the hundreds.

If it matters, I'll be looking to drill mostly various types of sandstone, but if all goes well would like to try other types of rock too. Thanks for any help you can offer, and let me know if I need to clarify my probably-too-vague description!

For smaller rocks, I'd stay away from a hammer drill. I think a water cooled diamond core drill will be perfect for this point. The only problem is that such a drill and its tools are not easy to find, but I think the ERDE TOOLS website will help you, because you can find a whole bunch of different tools for drilling that are of the highest quality.
    I hope my answer is helpful to you!