Thread: Fresh Install of BW10 Won't Pull Down Updates

Default Fresh Install of BW10 Won't Pull Down Updates

I just got a new Windows 11 laptop, and I installed BW10 onto it using my copy of the downloaded BW10 ISO that I grabbed from the website probably a few years ago. I have my purchased activation keys from my original purchase of the boxed BW10, and have activated my install. I have had it on my laptop for a while now, and it hasn't pulled down the last updates from the website.

The Current Version of the Install is: 10.0.3.173
    The Version on my old laptop is: 10.0.8.755

Does anyone know if the server is still offering the updates? Do I need to do something else to pull down the latest updates? In the past it just did this automatically. I will admit that I haven't seen any updates for a few years I would imagine, but I figured they would still come down when BW10 checked for them.

When BW closed they provided a downloadable installation dataset that included all updates to that point, and they no longer kept updates from before that time. Some updates have been released since then. If you did download that dataset after BW closed, you need to reinstall using that. If you don't have that more recent download, Bibleworks.com, at the bottom of the page has a link to download it. At one time you had to send a private message via this forum to MBushell to get a link for the download.

I don't understand the intricacies of Windows or of BW; it is possible that by copying your files from your Window 10 to your Windows 11 machine that you could get the current version to work, but that would be tricky at best.

The usual manual way to update is, on the main menu, Help / Check for Updates. I don't know if you could get the current executable that way -- it may only update more recent versions.

Sorry I don't have a cleaner answer.

--Jim

I did use a downloaded ISO from the website from after the closure of Bibleworks (but I don't know if it is the latest one posted on the website) to do a fresh install on the new computer, but it doesn't seem to pull down updates. I can try pulling down the latest ISO on the website and try again. I was hoping to avoid the 23Gig download.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedaley View Post
    I did use a downloaded ISO from the website from after the closure of Bibleworks (but I don't know if it is the latest one posted on the website) to do a fresh install on the new computer, but it doesn't seem to pull down updates. I can try pulling down the latest ISO on the website and try again. I was hoping to avoid the 23Gig download.
    Are you sure you used the one you downloaded after the closure of BW? Version 10.0.3.173 sounds like a much older version. When you bought BW10 did you download it, or have a USB drive mailed to you? I would expect a post-closure download to install a version beginning 10.0.8. The most recent download is BW10_rev7.iso. What is the dataset name of the one you used to install BW10 version 10.0.3.173?

--Jim

I might have either the original version that was uploaded to the site right after the closure, or perhaps I'm mistaken, and what I have been using is the ISO from the original USB that I got for BW10 when I purchased it. I have downloaded the latest file off of the site, and I will try a reinstall tomorrow hopefully, and I will update this thread after that. Thanks for your thoughts and help.

I am having the same problem, except the version that installed on my new laptop is 10.0.5.302. Updates no longer work within the program (they did until relatively recently).
    Fred Greco
    Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA (Katy, TX)
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

Thank you for the response. I was hoping there might be a solution that would allow me to run the Mac program natively, but with the current MacOS iterations, it looks like I may need to invest in a program such as Parallels. Thanks again for your help!