Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accordance or Logos or Bibleworks

Default Accordance or Logos or Bibleworks

Who here has used all of the above and can convince me to purchase Accordance? Bibleworks seems to offer all of the features with more basic texts than Accordance but most of my professors seem to use Accordance.
    What are things to consider?

Quote Originally Posted by ethanmiles View Post
    Who here has used all of the above and can convince me to purchase Accordance? Bibleworks seems to offer all of the features with more basic texts than Accordance but most of my professors seem to use Accordance.
    Is there anyone here who can give me an absolute guideline to Accordance? Thanks.

I still use BW as my main software. However, Accordance is where I will land when BW is no longer functional. You should go to Accordance web site and join their forum and seek guidance there. That would be the wise choice IMHO.

dave
    David Spear
    Calvary Chapel of Manassas
    Manassas, Va. 20110
    http://www.calvarychapelmanassas.org/
    KJV Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without (apart from) the deeds of the law.

Default Accordance Crossover

Hello

The Accordance Crossover was always a bargain. But it seems they need to rise up the price due royalties agreements. Until the end on Feb 2022 I would grab it. And even after. But then the price would be higher.

Link is.
    Now is the time to make the switch!

Quote Originally Posted by Berovowilare View Post
    The Accordance Crossover was always a bargain. But it seems they need to rise up the price due royalties agreements. Until the end on Feb 2022 I would grab it. And even after. But then the price would be higher.

Link is.
    Now is the time to make the switch!

Thanks for the heads up. However, for those interested in crossing over to Accordance, while the top of the page says that major price increases will go into effect at "the end of" February, the bottom of the page states: "The special offers listed above are good through Monday Feb. 14, 2022 (11:59 PM EST)."

I took a look myself, and think that to get something comparable to what I have with BibleWorks, I think I would have to buy the basic and advanced crossover packages -- about 450. And the German Bible collection, which doesn't look superior to what I have with BibleWorks, is an additional $169. I did not find a "cross-over" offering on BDAG-HALOT, so that looks like another $239. It looks like it would cost me $850.

Therefore, I'm deciding to stick with BibleWorks and go the route of a virtual Windows 10 operating system, should BibleWorks cease to be maintained for compatibility with future systems. That should work indefinitely, right?

I'm happy with BibleWorks as it is -- sure, there may be a few nice-to-haves, but don't really need any more whistles or bells... So, like many others I'm sure, I would be glad to pay for "simple" compatibility maintenance when that becomes necessary!

Cheers,
    David

I don't know about "indefinitely" but I here ya. BW is just so good. My investment into Accordance has been incremental. I'm slowly acclimating. But BW has been the foundation of my sermon prep and work flow for almost 25 yrs. It's really irreplaceable. Maybe Jesus will return before I really have to make the hard switch.
    Last edited by calvary; 02-08-2022 at 10:39 PM.
    David Spear
    Calvary Chapel of Manassas
    Manassas, Va. 20110
    http://www.calvarychapelmanassas.org/
    KJV Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without (apart from) the deeds of the law.

Default Sticking with BW

The question of what to replace BW with has been raised before, but it did not get much response then, just like now. It appears that either the BW group doesn't have much to say about this, or those who have made a change have moved on and are not a part of the BW community anymore. I was hoping to hear more feedback from those who are using Accordance or Logos. I'm grateful for those who have responded.

For me, there are some features of Accordance that I find attractive, and I will probably move in that direction should the need arise. But after giving this some long and serious thought, I have decided to stick with BW. As a solo pastor with about 150 sheep to tend, this program does pretty much every thing I need. And in the pre-pandemic world, I was prepping for two sermons, a Bible study, and a worship service each week. My load has eased a bit in that regard, but I expect it to return to more demanding levels when this scourge finally ends. Bibleworks has been a huge help in navigating through this load. It's most helpful feature is the tabs in the search window. It sounds like Accordance has some features that could function in a similar manner. But my BW still runs just fine, and I'm grateful to have it.

But I am intrigued by what I see in Accordance, and I may give it a try. Any other comments here by those who are using it would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ethanmiles View Post
    I'm not sure that my comments will be much help to you, but I'll offer what I can. First, I have not used Accordance at all. I have looked at their crossover offer a little, but wasn't super impressed. Maybe I'm just too accustomed to BW.

I do use Logos a little, mostly just for reading some books that they have, and always as a supplement to whatever I'm studying in BW. Personally, I prefer the BW philosophy of "focus on the text," but I do recognize that digital books are here to stay. While Logos has a spiffy-looking interface, I'm much more concerned with functionality, and in my opinion, BW beats Logos hands-down in that regard. It is easier to navigate, easier to customize for my preferences or needs, and much faster loading and accessing resources. I also appreciate that all of my notes in BW are stored in a (relatively) standard text-file format, so if necessary someday, it should be fairly easy to transfer them to another platform.

I do appreciate that Logos enables notes on all books. I've been reading some systematic theologies recently, and some of them like to quote ancient authors in Latin, Greek, and other languages. I've been using Google Translate for those quotes and putting them in the notes for future reference. I have wanted to add comments to some of BW's resources, but cannot.

Overall, I don't see myself ever moving to Logos as my primary platform, at least not without some major enhancements to the interface. I will stay with BW for as long as possible, but I don't enjoy the thought of it becoming unusable someday. I appreciate the BW owner's desire to ensure that it maintains its integrity if he sold it to someone else. But I really wish that someone would step up to buy it and guarantee to honor that desire while maintaining and developing it further.

Quote Originally Posted by dlmaxyz View Post
    The question of what to replace BW with has been raised before, but it did not get much response then, just like now. It appears that either the BW group doesn't have much to say about this, or those who have made a change have moved on and are not a part of the BW community anymore. I was hoping to hear more feedback from those who are using Accordance or Logos. I'm grateful for those who have responded.

For me, there are some features of Accordance that I find attractive, and I will probably move in that direction should the need arise. But after giving this some long and serious thought, I have decided to stick with BW. As a solo pastor with about 150 sheep to tend, this program does pretty much every thing I need. And in the pre-pandemic world, I was prepping for two sermons, a Bible study, and a worship service each week. My load has eased a bit in that regard, but I expect it to return to more demanding levels when this scourge finally ends. Bibleworks has been a huge help in navigating through this load. It's most helpful feature is the tabs in the search window. It sounds like Accordance has some features that could function in a similar manner. But my BW still runs just fine, and I'm grateful to have it.

But I am intrigued by what I see in Accordance, and I may give it a try. Any other comments here by those who are using it would be appreciated.
    I have both Logos and Accordance. I am on a Mac and with my recent update I had to walk away from BW. I always preferred both Accordance and Logos to BW. I have most of my library in Logos and enjoy many of the features and the extensive library that is available. Accordance is a very good program as well, especially for more scholarly endeavors. In my opinion you should try both, if you want an alternative to BW and see which one you prefer. i am glad to follow up with any specific questions you may have about either program.

Default Thanks

I appreciate the responses about Logos and Accordance. I downloaded the trial version of Logos to give myself a feel for what this program can do, and in time, I plan to do the same with Accordance. The comments posted here give me a sense on how others use these programs. These comments help, but perhaps the best way to get an answer is to just try the programs for myself.

Thanks again for the replies.