Thread: Search one voice on all verbs in one NT book

Default Search one voice on all verbs in one NT book

Hi All,
    I can't figure out how to search for all occurrences of all imperative voice verbs in a NT book.
    Would someone please explain how to do that?
    Thanx!

Quote Originally Posted by ccadman View Post
    Hi All,
    I can't figure out how to search for all occurrences of all imperative voice verbs in a NT book.
    Would someone please explain how to do that?
    Thanx!
    To limit the search to one NT book: in the command line type L (upper or lower case), space, 3-char bookname, enter. Example: "l mat".
    To remove the limit, type "L" on command line and enter.

This kind of search must be done with a morphologically tagged version. For such searches I strongly recommend that you use the "Command Line Morphology Help". Right click on the command line, and make sure that there is a tick mark on "Command Line Morphology Help".

To search for all occurrences of all imperative voice verbs:
    The short answer: If you are using a morphological database using the BW coding scheme (BNM, etc) or the Modified BW coding scheme(SCM, BYM, etc), type on the command line ".*@vd*" (without quote marks) and enter.
    If you are using a morphological database using the Friberg coding scheme (GNM, BFM, etc.) type ".*@v[mr]*".

The long answer:
    1. All coding schemes involve some judgement calls by the coder. You really should look at the BW Help section on Morphological Coding Schemes.
    2. The results you get will vary depending on which morphological coding scheme is used. I ran searches for the entire NT with these resulls:
    1648 hits in BNM (NA28, BW scheme)
    1988 hits in GNM (NA28, Friberg scheme)
    1902 hits in BYM (BYZ, modified BW scheme)
    1992 hits in BFM (BYZ, Friberg scheme)
    1907 hits in SCM (SCR (textus receptus)), modified BW scheme

Note: The "Forms" tab in the Analysis window can be useful: I found some forms that were sometimes tagged as imperative, sometimes as something else, so the tagger based the decision on context as well as form.

The Friberg scheme tags some words as: "verb indicative ... FUNCTIONING AS verb imperative..." (I got 170 hits in GNM where another voice was FUNCTIONING AS verb imperative.)
    And Friberg has a separate code for "participle with imperative sense". There are 168 of these in GNM.

The Modified BW scheme tags some words as "verb imperative" that the other schemes tag as a particle.

--Jim
    Last edited by Jim Wert; 06-02-2021 at 11:58 AM. Reason: I forgot about Friberg's r code

Hi Jim,
    Thanx for your quick reply!
    That's exactly what I need to know.
    Now I can try to learn how to do it w/other forms.
    I already had looked at the Help, but needed a bit of coaxing from an expert to get started.
    I may have other questions for you after a little of trial-and-error.
    Much obliged!
    ...Chris

Default Two additional tips

Here are two additional things I've found useful when dealing with morphological tagging. If you already use them, great. If not, you might find them helpful.

1. When a morph version is displayed in the Browse Window, by default it shows lemma & tags strung out in a row. If you use interlinear mode it displays in three rows -- first row is form (what shows in the text version), second row is lemma, third row is the morph tags. To change the display mode, click on the options button (3 horizontal parallel lines) at the top right of the Browse window header, and select "Toggle Interlinear Mode (Greek only)"

2. BW10 allows you to colour words in the Browse Window according to their morph codes. For example, you could make all the imperative verbs show up as red.
    Main Menu / Tools / Options ... / General / Morphology Colors

And I think I mentioned in my previous message that the "Forms" tab in the Analysis Window is useful to show how different forms of a particular lemma were coded in a given version, sometimes including more than one code for a given form.

--Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    Here are two additional things I've found useful when dealing with morphological tagging. --Jim
    Thanx for those additional tips.
    No, I haven't used that search method before now, only simple searches on the command line.
    I also looked at the BW graphic search method, which is a lot like 'Grasshopper' (Rhino3D add-in).
    Pretty slick stuff!

Well, seems like it high time I learned to search the way the big boys do.

Again, thanx for your insights!

... Chris