Thread: Backing up settings to move to new computer

Default Backing up settings to move to new computer

I feel like this must have been covered somewhere, but a search of the forums didn't find it. I'm getting ready to buy a new computer, and when I install BibleWorks I want to retain my current customized settings, such as option flags, option strings, etc. I've already downloaded the ISO to a thumb drive, and backed up my serial numbers for purchased modules, the entire databases folder, the entire notes folder and subfolders, and all customized .swc files from the init folder.

In the Help, under Backing up files, it lists files from BibleWorks installations to back up as including:
    Timeline Files (*.era and .tl)
    GSE Searches (*.qf)
    Verse List Files (*.vls)
    Word List Files (*.iel)
    Note Files (*.bww and *.rtf)
    Book Name Alias Files (*.bna, *.bnb, and books.dat for 4.0 installations)
    Book sort order files (*.bso)
    Cross-reference files (*.xrd) Synopsis Files (*.sdf)
    Database Definition Files (*.ddf)
    Custom Verse Mapping Files (*.vmf, *.vmc)
    Font Mapping Files (*.fmp, *.map)
    Color Files (*.clr)
    Diagrammer File (*.dgm)
    Context files (*.swc)
    Ermie files (*erd)
    Flashcard files (*.vrc, *.vrt)

If I do all that (I've already got the note and context files) will I be covered? If I save a checkpoint, and restore from that, will it get me where I want to go in a simpler way? But where are checkpoint data stored, so I can back that up?

Thanks for any advice!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default Some additional new installation suggestions

Some Toolbar configuration information is stored in the Windows Registry.
    To backup:
    Right click on the Windows logo in the system tray.
    Click on Search. Type Registry editor, hit enter.
    Paste the following into the address bar: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\BibleWorks\Bib leWorks 10\BeToolbar, hit enter.
    Right click on BeToolBar, left click on Export, hit enter.
    Save the file as BeToolbar. The default location will be your documents folder.
    Repeat the process for MainToolbarEd.

After BibleWorks is installed on your new computer, reboot, check for updates, install the ones you want, then close BW.
    Find the two files you created. They should be .reg files. Double click on each one, read and allow any warning popups.
    If you think you might want to be able to return to the default toolbars, you could save them before registring the new files.

The simple installation of BW is at c:\Program Files (x86)\BibleWorks 10\ and there is no subfolder c:\Program Files (x86)\BibleWorks 10\users\
    If you have a users subfolder, user created files will be stored in subfolders of the users folder.

I am fairly certain that checkpoints contain information tied to the current computer and so would not transfer to another computer.
    If you copy all of the files with the extensions you listed and work through the BW Options Window you will have transferred almost everything that could be transferred using the checkpoints.

I suggest saving a copy of your entire BW folder before discarding your old computer.
    If you don't want to put it on your new computer, I suggest this USB drive: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    It is about $11 on Amazon with a Prime account and would usually be large enough for the entire BW folder.
    That way if something is missed, you will still be able to retrieve it.

When activating if all the codes are in one file, one line for each code, the codes can be selected and copied. All the codes will automatically be imported into the activation window.

A final suggestion that I do myself and am glad for it for I have had BW crash for me and needed to restore my settings. Make images of the BW Options Window for reference.
    Open the BW Options window.
    Begin with the first option, General, Program Colors and save a screenshot. I save it as 01 Program Color.png and the next as 02 Morphology Colors.png. With the Flags the next is 03 Startup Options.png, making sure to expand each set of option flags so that the screenshot records my choices.
    I continue through all of the options that way. The numbering puts them in the same order as they are in the Options Window.
    If you mostly only use the default options, it wouldn't be worth you time, but I have made more changes than I can hope to remember.
    Last edited by now john; 12-21-2020 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by now john View Post
    I suggest saving a copy of your entire BW folder before discarding your old computer.
    If you don't want to put it on your new computer, I suggest this USB drive: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    It is about $11 on Amazon with a Prime account and would usually be large enough for the entire BW folder.
    That way if something is missed, you will still be able to retrieve it.
    This is a very key ingredient in these suggestions IMHO.
    David Spear
    Calvary Chapel of Manassas
    Manassas, Va. 20110
    http://www.calvarychapelmanassas.org/
    KJV Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without (apart from) the deeds of the law.

Default New Computer, Need Bibleworks 10 ISO

Hi all. I am buying a new computer and I need the Bibleworks 10 ISO. I have the purchase email and codes from my current install. When I try to use the download the file, it says the file does not exist. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and God bless. Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyking View Post
    Hi all. I am buying a new computer and I need the Bibleworks 10 ISO. I have the purchase email and codes from my current install. When I try to use the download the file, it says the file does not exist. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and God bless. Jeff
    This post explains the current ISO download procedure. https://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sh...8601#post38601

This is a copy of that post:
    The download has been temporarily disabled because of piracy activity. The pirates point their "customers" to the BibleWorks site for the download and give them separately either pirated codes or hacked executables. The result is that the number of downloads exceeds Google limits and everyone gets locked out. I am not sure what to do about it. It is more than two years now since we closed down and the number of people needing the ISO file should be very small. If you have a legitimate need for the ISO file, send me by private message your serial number and purchase date and I will send you a link to get the file.
    Sorry for the inconvenience to legitimate customers.
    Mike

In the last month or so one of the forum members that I was helping contacted Mike and received a download link.