Thread: Finding Most Common Phrases in the NT

Default Finding Most Common Phrases in the NT

Hi all, I'm teaching a Greek course and in addition to memorizing vocabulary I'd like for my students to memorize some of the most common phrases found in the NT to help them get more of a feel for how phrases are formed and how cases often function. I've tried a few ways to search BW to create a master list of (ideally) 3-5 word phrases, but I haven't found a way to do this across the NT. Would anybody have any suggestions on how this might be done? Essentially, I'm looking for something like the phrase finder but that uses the whole NT as the input source. An example of a phrase I'm looking for is something as simple as τὸ θέλημα τοῦ θεοῦ.
    If this isn't easily accomplished with BW, does anybody know of a resource that might be helpful? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zmbras View Post
    Hi all, I'm teaching a Greek course and in addition to memorizing vocabulary I'd like for my students to memorize some of the most common phrases found in the NT to help them get more of a feel for how phrases are formed and how cases often function. I've tried a few ways to search BW to create a master list of (ideally) 3-5 word phrases, but I haven't found a way to do this across the NT. Would anybody have any suggestions on how this might be done? Essentially, I'm looking for something like the phrase finder but that uses the whole NT as the input source. An example of a phrase I'm looking for is something as simple as τὸ θέλημα τοῦ θεοῦ.
    If this isn't easily accomplished with BW, does anybody know of a resource that might be helpful? Thanks!
    I sent you a private message.

I am interested in this exact thing for a Bible translation project. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by postiffm View Post
    I am interested in this exact thing for a Bible translation project. Any help would be appreciated.

I have written a script that finds duplicate phrases in the BGT for phrases 4 and 5 words long. Each list has thousands of entries. I would be glad to email them to anyone. Go to my BW profile and use my email address there to make your request.

I would also be glad to make phrase lists for other BW Greek New Testaments. I would also consider customizing the list for someone.

Currently the output is in ascii format. That way the output can be entered into the BW command line and the verses that contain the phrases be viewed in the Browse window.

Some random selections from the lists.

10 apokriqeij de o ihsouj eipen
    10 carij umin kai eirhnh apo
    10 kai eirhnh apo qeou patroj
    11 eij thn basileian tou qeou
    18 eij touj aiwnaj twn aiwnwn

8 aiwnaj twn aiwnwn amhn
    8 aiwnaj twn aiwnwn kai

the numbers indicate the number of times the phrase is found in the BGT

After the transliterated phrases are entered into the command line, it is fairly easy to export them as unicode with accents.

Default I also contacted you via your profile

Thank you, @now john, for that offer. I've contacted you.