Thread: Bible Works 4 -- Can it be moved from Win 95 to Vista System or Windows 10?

Default Bible Works 4 -- Can it be moved from Win 95 to Vista System or Windows 10?

Dear BW users:

I have BW 4 on an old Win 95 system. The monitor is very small and I would like to use the BW disks to load the program onto one of my later systems, either Windows Vista or Windows 10. But I expect that if I try to load the disk, I will get a prompt asking me to enter my licence number or the like, and, as I'm told that BW as a company no longer exists to confirm ownership of the software, I don't know that it would be possible to complete loading the program -- even if Vista or Windows 10 would tolerate a program written for Win 95. I was going to buy the newest version of Bibleworks earlier this year, and then found out that it is no longer for sale, so I'm stuck with an older version of the program and no adequate computer system for using it.

Can anyone offer me any practical suggestions?

Thanks for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronw View Post
    Dear BW users: I have BW 4 on an old Win 95 system. The monitor is very small and I would like to use the BW disks to load the program onto one of my later systems, either Windows Vista or Windows 10. But I expect that if I try to load the disk, I will get a prompt asking me to enter my licence number or the like, and, as I'm told that BW as a company no longer exists to confirm ownership of the software, I don't know that it would be possible to complete loading the program -- even if Vista or Windows 10 would tolerate a program written for Win 95. I was going to buy the newest version of Bibleworks earlier this year, and then found out that it is no longer for sale, so I'm stuck with an older version of the program and no adequate computer system for using it. Can anyone offer me any practical suggestions? Thanks for reading.
    I would suggest that you try to install it on one or both of your other systems. I owned BW4 myself but that was a while ago. I think that you should have received a serial number or registration number with the disks. If something like that was asked for, just enter it during the installaion process. Even though BW closed the activation server still works. I used it myself in the last ten days. Subscribe to this thread: https://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sh...icensed-copies BW activation keys are still offered for sale on it.

I don't understand your logic. People didn't like Vista, so the kernel was shit and we shouldn't use it? Vista was hated primarily for other reasons

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox
    Last edited by addomannim; 10-22-2020 at 07:08 PM.

Default Bible Works 4 -- Can it be moved from Win 95 to Vista System or Windows 10?

Dear BW users:

I have BW 4 on an old Win 95 system. The monitor is very small and I would like to use the BW disks to load the program onto one of my later systems, either Windows Vista or Windows 10. But I expect that if I try to load the disk, I will get a prompt asking me to enter my licence number or the like, and, as I'm told that BW as a company no longer exists to confirm ownership of the software, I don't know that it would be possible to complete loading the program -- even if Vista or Windows 10 would tolerate a program written for Win 95. I was going to buy the newest version of Bibleworks earlier this year, and then found out that it is no longer for sale, so I'm stuck with an older version of the program and no adequate computer system for using it. Can anyone offer me any practical suggestions? Thanks for reading.
    My apologies for addomannim's reply. Some of us can't always afford the best computers. I'm speaking for myself. If you were able to install BW 4 on Win 95, then Win Vista and Win 10 both should run it without any problems. However, you will need a license number. Hopefully you can find it with your disks. There must have been some paper work included with them.
    Last edited by fuego; 10-22-2020 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    My apologies for addomannim's reply. Some of us can't always afford the best computers. I'm speaking for myself. If you were able to install BW 4 on Win 95, then Win Vista and Win 10 both should run it without any problems. However, you will need a license number. Hopefully you can find it with your disks. There must have been some paper work included with them.
    Just so you know what the license number would look like.

I cannot find documentation for BW04. But checking records for BW05 through BW07 the license number was called a Serial Number, or at least that is what I called it. It began with BW0# where # was 5, 6, or 7. It was followed by - and then numbers, for example BW05-0000000. I hope you can find it.

I think the BW program is likely to work on Windows 10 if you can find the installation media and the serial number. I have BW07 running on Windows 10. If not there, is a compatibility feature in Windows that allows some programs designed for previous versions of Windows to work on Windows 10. Post back if you need help with that.
    Last edited by now john; 10-23-2020 at 11:06 AM.

Default Bw4

Dear BW users:

I have BW 4 on an old Win 95 system. The monitor is very small and I would like to use the BW disks to load the program onto one of my later systems, either Windows Vista or Windows 10. But I expect that if I try to load the disk, I will get a prompt asking me to enter my licence number or the like, and, as I'm told that BW as a company no longer exists to confirm ownership of the software, I don't know that it would be possible to complete loading the program -- even if Vista or Windows 10 would tolerate a program written for Win 95. I was going to buy the newest version of Bibleworks earlier this year, and then found out that it is no longer for sale, so I'm stuck with an older version of the program and no adequate computer system for using it.

Can anyone offer me any practical suggestions?

Thanks for reading.
    That was a long time ago! Back then the program may have been all self contained in a single folder. There was no registry. So you can try to just copy the old folder to another computer. That might work. The serial number may have been on the front of one of the disks. Not sure. It was a long time ago. If you can still run BW on the old computer, the serial number may be displayed in the About box.

Mike

I still have my BW4 ring binding manual in my shelf (but the disks are stored somewhere else).
    The 'Serial Registration Number' is in this format:- BWW40-000xxxxx. The sticker is attached on the first printed of the User's Guide.
    Hope this helps.