Thread: Greek MS transcriptions - clarification

Default Greek MS transcriptions - clarification

Years ago, I loaded transcriptions of 01 (Sinaiticus) and other Greek majuscules into BW10. I think I downloaded them from either here on the forums or on the BibleWorks blog. Either way, I want to clarify exactly what the different versions of each transcription represents.

So for Sinaiticus, for example, I see EIGHT different text options in BW10… a, b, c, d… and then morphologically-tagged text for each. I want to clarify that I’m understanding these correctly. Is this what each text represents:

M-01A Sinaiticus (a) = 01* = initial text, original hand
    M-01B Sinaiticus (b) = 01, corrector1 (but only verses listed that differ with 01*)
    M-01C Sinaiticus (c) = 01, corrector2 (but only verses listed that differ with 01* and 01c1)
    M-01D Sinaiticus (d) = 01, corrector3 (but only verses listed that differ with 01*, 01c1, and 01c2)

Is that correct?... and then the same labelling used for other manuscript transcriptions… such as 02, 03, 04, 05, 032, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by tabiblia View Post
    Years ago, I loaded transcriptions of 01 (Sinaiticus) and other Greek majuscules into BW10. I think I downloaded them from either here on the forums or on the BibleWorks blog. Either way, I want to clarify exactly what the different versions of each transcription represents.

So for Sinaiticus, for example, I see EIGHT different text options in BW10… a, b, c, d… and then morphologically-tagged text for each. I want to clarify that I’m understanding these correctly. Is this what each text represents:

M-01A Sinaiticus (a) = 01* = initial text, original hand
    M-01B Sinaiticus (b) = 01, corrector1 (but only verses listed that differ with 01*)
    M-01C Sinaiticus (c) = 01, corrector2 (but only verses listed that differ with 01* and 01c1)
    M-01D Sinaiticus (d) = 01, corrector3 (but only verses listed that differ with 01*, 01c1, and 01c2)

Is that correct?... and then the same labelling used for other manuscript transcriptions… such as 02, 03, 04, 05, 032, etc?
    I think the transcription feature came in with BW9.
    If I understand it correctly, the "A" version for each manuscript does give the original hand.
    For any verse that was corrected by 1 or more hands, the "B" version will contain the verse as corrected by the presumed earliest correcter of those who corrected that verse.
    For any verse that was corrected by 2 or more hands, the "C" version will contain the verse as corrected by the presumed 2nd earliest correcter of those who corrected that verse.
    Etc. (M-06_ goes to E, allowing for 4 correcters in a verse.)

I think this is saying the same thing you did; if so it confirms your understanding.
    And yes, the same convention appears to apply to all of the transcription versions.

The Collation (top) section of the MSS tab is very useful for seeing the changes.
    M-01D has 15 verses; 6 of those verses have C making a change that D then changes back, so that B and D versions are identical.

To get a list of the verses that exist in any version, you can do this:
    Make the version, for example, M-01D, your search version.
    Then search for <.*> (without the angle brackets).

To see how many verses are actually populated in any of these versions without doing a search, mouse over (with shift if you are set up that way) the version id in the Browse window to display the version info in the Analysis Tab.
    Here are the verse counts for Sinaiticus:
    M-01A 7,918
    M-01B 2,996
    M-01C 334
    M-01D 15

--Jim
    Last edited by Jim Wert; 05-24-2020 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Answered final question.