Thread: Can't run BibleWorks

Default Can't run BibleWorks

Hello,

So my computer's hard drive was swapped out for a SSD. Now I can't launch BWs even though it was image copied to the new SSD.

Specifically, at first launch it went to a BW page with the BW10 code. I left it as is. When I clicked update via internet the BW program disappeared from the screen. I can't successfully launch the program.

I need serious help to get it back running. please.

best, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tarver View Post
    So my computer's hard drive was swapped out for a SSD. Now I can't launch BW even though it was image copied to the new SSD.
    I know that BW activation is tied to the computer that it was installed on. I do not know if swapping the SSD would cause that activation to be broken.

Do you have a copy of the activation code? If not it could be recovered from the hard drive, the SSD. Post back and I could outline the procedure.

Otherwise reboot the computer and try again, just in case you haven't rebooted the computer since the problem began.

Perform the following operations with Windows in administrator mode while running BW as administrator. It would be best that no other programs are running. Sometimes even running security software can cause failure, though I have not encountered a case where Windows Defender interfered with a BW installation or repair.

I doubt that the procedures below will work, but I would try them as they would be easier than a complete re-installation.

Find bw1000.exe in the BW program root folder. Hold down the shift key and double-click on the file. A window will open: BibleWorks Trouble-Shooting Options.

Option 3, Restore previous version (restore checkpoint)
    If any are available, begin with the most recent and restore it. Continue until one works or no more are left.
    After BW is working again, in the main menu select File, Checkpoints, Exit and Save CheckPoint
    Save a checkpoint as a backup once in a while, and especially before and after updates if any become available again.
    Some settings will likely be lost, but maybe not.

Next, if the above did not work, delete the BW1000.ini
    Most settings will be lost, but this involves less work than a total reinstall.

If you can ever get BW to open in any of the steps above, go to the main menu, File, Activate Database, Activation Manager. The Activation Manager will only work if BW was run as an administrator. You should see in that window the BW10 Serial Number (Activation Code) and if that code is activated. If the code is there and correct but not activated, click Activate all resources via Internet. (Manual activation is no longer possible.) Otherwise click on Options, Add new activation code, and enter the activation code into the window and click OK, and proceed.

Next, if necessary, use setup.exe from the ISO downloaded from the BW homepage and choose the modify option. You could try entering the BW activation code here, but that likely wouldn't work here.

Next, if necessary, use setup.exe from the ISO downloaded from the BW homepage and choose the repair option. I also doubt it would help, but it is easy enough to run in case it does.

If no improvement, then uninstall BW using setup.exe from the ISO. Do not use older media. Make sure that you backup any user created or modified files first. After BW is uninstalled, delete the BW folder or rename it.

Often not deleting or renaming the folder will cause a re-installation to fail.

Then reboot the computer and re-install BW using the ISO downloaded from the BW home page. Extracting the ISO to a folder sometimes works better than simply mounting it, but then there must be adequate space on the drive. Otherwise extracting the ISO to a USB drive also works. Usually simply double clicking on the ISO is enough, but I have seen cases where an installation failed when the ISO was mounted, but worked after it was extracted.

After installation, reboot and then run the updater.
    Last edited by now john; 04-26-2020 at 07:02 PM.

Default I'm doing what you suggested

Quote Originally Posted by now john View Post
    Next, if the above did not work, delete the BW1000.ini
    Most settings will be lost, but this involves less work than a total reinstall.
    Nothing worked until I deleted the ini file. So I'm going forward from that point.

BWs launches which is great! I'll work on the database installs in the following days.

Thank you for that write up. That's a considerable amount of details.

best, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tarver View Post
    Nothing worked until I deleted the ini file. So I'm going forward from that point.

BWs launches which is great! I'll work on the database installs in the following days.

Thank you for that write up.
    You are welcome.