Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latin tools in BW

Default Latin tools in BW

Just curious... did BW ever have an add-on or version or module in which my cursor could hover over a word in the Latin text in the browse window... that was tagged to instantly show meaning and grammatical analysis (like it does for Greek) in an automatic pop-up bubble... without clicking?...

I found Pasquale's great Vulgata Latin add-on that comes up in the analysis window... but I don't think that's tagged to appear with a hovering cursor. (No complaints... *amazing* work, Pasquale!)... or maybe I don't have it set up right...

I don't know if such a Latin tool was ever built for BW... curious if it was...

Thanks, all. Stay well and thrive.

Hello,
    As far as I know and have seen, it cannot. Maybe I have not found it, but thinking about it I have not found the add-on...

Sorry for the delay in answering this. The closest you can get in BibleWorks to what you are seeking is the VULM version. When you put your cursor over a word in that version, in the analysis window you will see all the words in that verse with Latin parsing information (not specific to that verse, but listing all possible analyses of the forms) and possible English glosses for each word. It takes more work on your part to figure this out than the way Greek and Hebrew morphology versions work. But it is a lot easier than looking up each word in a Latin dictionary.
    Mark Eddy

Default How do I add VULM?

Thanks, Mark! I see in Windows Explorer on my PC that I have the VULM file in the BW10 folder of databases. I must not have added it for some reason when I set up BW10 on this computer years ago.

I tried following the Help Menu how to add it:
    Tools... Options... Updates... Add/Remove Bible Versions and Databases... "proceed"

BW10 then goes to the InstallShield Wizard... modify...

Then it asks for activation codes... I've tried it both ways... "NO"... or "YES" (using my BW10 installation code)...

I then select VULM... but the Installation asks:
    "Please insert your BibleWorks installation media (number 1 if media are numbered) and click on OK. Clicking on Cancel will halt the installation."

But my computer has no CD-ROM drive...

So I reach a dead end...

If I click "OK"... the same popup window returns asking for Disc 1.
    If I click "Cancel"... it ends and says:

Feature: Program files
    Component: VMF Files
    File: data2.cab
    Error: The system cannot find the path specified.

So how do I add VULM into BW10?...

Thanks in advance.

Default It looks like you already have it.

If your BibleWorks 10/databases directory contains the VULM.bww, VULM.dbu, VULM.dbx VULM.vmc, VULM.vmf, VULM.wdc files, VULM is installed in your Bibleworks.
    Key in "d vulm", without the quotes, on the command line, hit enter, and VULM should be one of the versions displayed in your Browse Window. Or just enter "vulm" to make it your search version.
    In your Analysis Window select the Analysis tab. Depending on how you have your "Update Only When Shift Key Depressed" option set, either mouse over the VULM text in the Browse Window, or hold down the shift key and mouse over the VULM text to display the parsing and gloss information.

Name:  VULM.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  373.7 KB

--Jim

Jim is right about VULM files in your databases. Anything in the databases file is already installed.
    To answer your other concerns: BW10 never came on CDs or DVDs. It came on a USB drive or via download. If you installed BW10 from a USB drive, you can modify the installation when that drive is in. If you downloaded BW10, you downloaded absolutely everything in the program, even the parts for which you may not have unlock codes. But you do not need an unlock code for VULM. The BibleWorks user who prepared VULM graciously allowed the rest of us to use it without charge. That is one of many things which helped keep the price down.
    God bless your use of these Bible study tools.
    Mark Eddy

Default Further help needed...

Thanks, Mark and Jim.

For some reason, I only have the VULM.vmf file... nothing more of VULM in all of my BibleWorks10 directory.

Several years ago, when I got this PC laptop i currently use, I think I was short of disc space and only installed the BW10 stuff I planned to use... not all of BW10.

And I rem I had problems getting it copied and installed. (Yes, I own a registered purchased version of BW10... I've used BW since version 3 over 20+ years ago.)

So now I'm not sure where I can download the rest of the VULM files I need... esp since BW is out of business... :-(

Quote Originally Posted by tabiblia View Post
    Thanks, Mark and Jim. So now I'm not sure where I can download the rest of the VULM files I need... esp since BW is out of business... :-(
    Use the most recent BW installation media that you have. Run it as an administrator. It should offer you three choices. Choose modify. Add the modules that you want. In case you don't have installation media, download the BW installation ISO from the BW homepage and use that.

Thanks for the solution!