Thread: Hebrew parashah & Haftarah outline & references in WTT, other files

Default Hebrew parashah & Haftarah outline & references in WTT, other files

I've just installed BW10 after several (genrally happy) years of using BW9. I am surprised that the WTT Hebrew Bible text and the TNK English (JPS 1985) files use someone's generic outlines headings instead of the standard Jewish Torah portions and related prophecy readings. I can't find these in BW10 so far. Please advise if they are in BW10 and where. Thanks Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ferrell View Post
    I've just installed BW10 after several (genrally happy) years of using BW9. I am surprised that the WTT Hebrew Bible text and the TNK English (JPS 1985) files use someone's generic outlines headings instead of the standard Jewish Torah portions and related prophecy readings. I can't find these in BW10 so far. Please advise if they are in BW10 and where. Thanks Tom.
    Hi Tom,
    What you are looking for is an Outline called "Parashot-outline"; you select it by clicking on the button to the right of the outline (it looks like 3 lower-case i's on their side)
    The Outline feature is not tied to the version your are currently viewing; you have to set it to the one you want. I have copied the following from the BW10 Help. An additional feature of the outline is that in the "Context" tab of the "Analysis window" the "Pericope" section is determined by the currently active Outline, so you can define any pericope you wish.

The Outline List Box

The top of the Browse Window Header contains a dropdown list box which contains an outline of the entire Bible. This dropdown List Box displays a general description of the Bible passage currently displayed. It is taken from Metzger's Bible Outline. If you click the button on the right of the List Box, you will be shown the entire outline centered at the current verse. You can then select any verse in the outline to display in the Browse Window. To the right of the Heading is another button that can be used to edit the contents of the Outline or create a new outline. BibleWorks ships with a sample outline called "parashot" donated by a user. It differs from the default outline only in the Old Testament, but gives an example of what can be done. Other outlines from various Bible versions' section headings are supplied, as well. When you change the Bible outline file in the Browse Window Header, this also changes the Bible outline file that displays in the Bible Outline tool that is opened from Resources | Miscellaneous | Bible Outline.

To edit the current outline click on the drop arrow button to the right of the Outline List Box. Then select "configure". In the window that opens select "Edit". Make your changes and save the file. Then click on the "compile" button. To create a new outline follow the pattern in the default outline file and create and compile a new outline file. You must use the BibleWorks default three letter names for books.

The functonality of the Outline List Box is currently limited to versions of the Biblical text..

Default Reply

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    Hi Tom,
    What you are looking for is an Outline called "Parashot-outline"; you select it by clicking on the button to the right of the outline (it looks like 3 lower-case i's on their side)
    The Outline feature is not tied to the version your are currently viewing; you have to set it to the one you want. I have copied the following from the BW10 Help. An additional feature of the outline is that in the "Context" tab of the "Analysis window" the "Pericope" section is determined by the currently active Outline, so you can define any pericope you wish.

The Outline List Box

The top of the Browse Window Header contains a dropdown list box which contains an outline of the entire Bible. This dropdown List Box displays a general description of the Bible passage currently displayed. It is taken from Metzger's Bible Outline. If you click the button on the right of the List Box, you will be shown the entire outline centered at the current verse. You can then select any verse in the outline to display in the Browse Window. To the right of the Heading is another button that can be used to edit the contents of the Outline or create a new outline. BibleWorks ships with a sample outline called "parashot" donated by a user. It differs from the default outline only in the Old Testament, but gives an example of what can be done. Other outlines from various Bible versions' section headings are supplied, as well. When you change the Bible outline file in the Browse Window Header, this also changes the Bible outline file that displays in the Bible Outline tool that is opened from Resources | Miscellaneous | Bible Outline.

To edit the current outline click on the drop arrow button to the right of the Outline List Box. Then select "configure". In the window that opens select "Edit". Make your changes and save the file. Then click on the "compile" button. To create a new outline follow the pattern in the default outline file and create and compile a new outline file. You must use the BibleWorks default three letter names for books.

The functonality of the Outline List Box is currently limited to versions of the Biblical text..
    - thanx Jim. I'm a lot happier now! Tom