Thread: How to search for a particular word at the beginning of a sentence?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How to search for a particular word at the beginning of a sentence?

I like to search for a particular Greek word in Bibleworks, let say the word ἀμήν which appears only at the beginning of a sentence. How can I do this?
    Thanks for your help.
    Vincent.

The only way I know to do this is with the Graphical Search Engine (usually referred to as GSE).
    If you have an inquiring mind (and plenty of time) it would be worth reading the BW help on the GSE (Chapters 44 - 48 of BW10 Help). Also there are about 9 you tube videos on how to use the GSE -- Main Menu / Help / BibleWorks How-To Videos (online) / You Tube Chanel, or https://www.youtube.com/user/BibleWorksVideos/playlists

The easiest way to do the search is:
    Set your search version to the one you want to search -- a display version, like BNT (for NT) or BGT (for NT + LXX), if you want to search for the form,
    or a morphological version, like BNM or BGM, if you want to search for a lemma.
    Either should work for your example, since the form and lemma are the same for amen.

In the command line type your search [.amhn] but do not hit enter. If your button bar has a large magnifying glass labelled 'GSE Search', click on it. Or, on the main menu select Search / Graphical Search Engine.

You should now have a Query window with two boxes. The bottom box is a "Word Box". Double-click on that box and a "Word Box Options" window should pop up. On the right side of that options window you should see, among other things, the word "Position". Under it, select the "Specify position in verse" box, make sure the number is 1, and select "from beginning" rather than "from end"

Now click the "OK" button at the bottom of the window. To run the query click "go" on the button bar at the top of the Query window, or on the Query Window main menu select "Query" / "Run", and the query results will show up in your currently active search results pane.

This sounds complicated, but it is really quite simple to do.

I found 31 verses, 11 in Mat, 6 in Mar, 2 in Luk, 12 in Joh.

--Jim
    Last edited by Jim Wert; 04-02-2020 at 03:06 PM. Reason: fix typo

Thanks very much, Jim, for your answer. I am able to do what you instructed. However, I also want to include all the verses that have the word "amen" at the beginning of the answer of Jesus, like the following example:

And the king will say to them in reply, 'Amen, I say to you, (Matt. 25:40 NAB)
    καὶ ἀποκριθεὶς ὁ βασιλεὺς ἐρεῖ αὐτοῖς ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν (Matt. 25:40 BGT)

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Vincent

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Dam View Post
    I also want to include all the verses that have the word "amen" at the beginning of the answer of Jesus, like the following example:

And the king will say to them in reply, 'Amen, I say to you, (Matt. 25:40 NAB)
    You are now introducing a very different kind of question. The editors of Greek versions make a decision about where verse boundaries should be. Given that decision, and the way BW searches work, it is possible fairly easily to find where a word is used at a specific position within those verses. BW's Greek versions make no attempt to decide what parts are quotations, or who was the speaker. If your real question is "Where did Jesus begin a speech with amen" The only way to get your own answer is to search for "amen" in the 4 gospels, and for each one decide whether the speaker is Jesus, and whether it is the beginning of a speech/response.

Your example shows Jesus quoting "the king", not the beginning of Jesus' speech. NAB uses single quotation marks for quotes within quotes.

If NAB always transliterates "amen" rather than translating it (as verily, surely, etc.), and you trust NAB's decisions on where quotations begin, you can do a search on NAB. Remember that when NAB has a long quote, it repeats the quotation mark at the beginning of each paragraph, so you need to decide whether each case is a separate quotation or not. Also, remember that some of the verses that begin with "amen" are not the beginning of a speech/reply, so some of the verses that begin with amen will not show up in the following search.

Using "Regular Expression" searches you can find where "Amen" follows a quotation mark.
    Make NAB your search version.
    On the command line enter <~\"Amen> (don't include the <> marks) and hit enter.
    This will give you the cases where "Amen occurs.
    To add in Mat 25:40 and a few other verses use this search: <~(\"|\')Amen>

--Jim