Thread: Can't get Hebrew vocab audio to work

Default Can't get Hebrew vocab audio to work

I searched around to see if anyone else had this issue but didn't find any posts, so here goes:
    When I attempt to play any of the Hebrew vocabulary in the Vocabulary Flashcard Module in BibleWorks 10, I get the following error message in the UI:

Name:  bw10_vocab_err_msg.png
Views: 172
Size:  45.5 KB

Note that when I try to play the sound associated with the vocabulary word, the specific *.wav file associated with the word isn't identified in the file path. Instead, each sound file is looking for the same thing; namely, " filePath/.wav"; i.e., there is no specific .wav file identified. Note also that the directory used to search the sounds is chockfull of *.wav files.

Name:  bw10_vocab_err_msg_2.png
Views: 166
Size:  29.5 KB

When I looked into the halphabet.vrt file that is used to supply the file path to the individual sounds for each vocab word, it's clear that each entry in the file is pointing to ".wav" just as I see in the UI:

Name:  bw10_vocab_err_msg_3.png
Views: 166
Size:  306.7 KB

I don't know if my halphabet.vrt got corrupted in install or not but I tried repairing it to no avail.

Does anyone have a correct halphabet.vrt file that I could copy and use? I'm thinking I can just replace the apparently corrupt/incorrect halphabet.vrt file with a good one.

thank you,

-sdo

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    I searched around to see if anyone else had this issue but didn't find any posts, so here goes:
    When I attempt to play any of the Hebrew vocabulary in the Vocabulary Flashcard Module in BibleWorks 10, I get the following error message in the UI:

I don't know if my halphabet.vrt got corrupted in install or not but I tried repairing it to no avail.

Does anyone have a correct halphabet.vrt file that I could copy and use? I'm thinking I can just replace the apparently corrupt/incorrect halphabet.vrt file with a good one.

thank you,

-sdo
    I have the same situation that you describe. The three files listed below have missing file names for the wav extension files.
    halphabet.vrt, halphabet_radicals.vrt, halphabet_vowels.vrt

There are also three compiled versions that have the extension .vrc. Looking in them I can see that file names are also missing there. It is that way with three different installations of BW. Apparently it was a project that was begun but was shipped incomplete. Otherwise it would be unusual to have a pattern of corruption be so consistent.

The Hebrew sound files that shipped with both BW9 and BW10 are identical. BW9 does not have halphabet.vrt, halphabet_radicals.vrt, halphabet_vowels.vrt. That seems to be a further hint that the wav files are missing. It is unlikely that they would have been included in a BW9 sound file set.

At least the other Hebrew sound sets have working sound files.
    Futato Advanced Vocab (ch 1-40 only).vrt, Futato basic.vrt, hotverbs.vrt, hotvoc.vrt

BW help describes the process of creating your own vrt/vrc file. You open the four good files above and import them into a suitable editor, delete the lines you don't need, rearrange the lines, import the vrt file and BW will create a new vrc file. I haven't done that so I don't know if it works. I have used the BW Bible module compiler and it works very well.
    Last edited by now john; 02-29-2020 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by now john View Post
    I have the same situation that you describe. The three files listed below have missing file names for the wav extension files.
    halphabet.vrt, halphabet_radicals.vrt, halphabet_vowels.vrt

There are also three compiled versions that have the extension .vrc. Looking in them I can see that file names are also missing there. It is that way with three different installations of BW. Apparently it was a project that was begun but was shipped incomplete. Otherwise it would be unusual to have a pattern of corruption be so consistent.
    8 ball pool
    The Hebrew sound files that shipped with both BW9 and BW10 are identical. BW9 does not have halphabet.vrt, halphabet_radicals.vrt, halphabet_vowels.vrt. That seems to be a further hint that the wav files are missing. It is unlikely that they would have been included in a BW9 sound file set.

At least the other Hebrew sound sets have working sound files.
    Futato Advanced Vocab (ch 1-40 only).vrt, Futato basic.vrt, hotverbs.vrt, hotvoc.vrt

BW help describes the process of creating your own vrt/vrc file. You open the four good files above and import them into a suitable editor, delete the lines you don't need, rearrange the lines, import the vrt file and BW will create a new vrc file. I haven't done that so I don't know if it works. I have used the BW Bible module compiler and it works very well.
    Thank you. That is very helpful.