Thread: Needing to Re-Install after computer repair

Question Needing to Re-Install after computer repair

Hello! I had to send my computer for repair and they reinstalled the OS, which means (among other things) I need to reinstall Bibleworks. I have the flash drive and the activation code sent via email from the 2018 update. However, an email thread with BW support at that time said I need "BW10 code from the cover of the BibleWorks Quick-Start Guide" -- I have no idea where that is as we moved last year and some of my stuff is still in boxes.

Do I actually need that code on the booklet, or is the code sent via email sufficient to re-install?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by adunlap View Post
    Hello! I had to send my computer for repair and they reinstalled the OS, which means (among other things) I need to reinstall Bibleworks. I have the flash drive and the activation code sent via email from the 2018 update. However, an email thread with BW support at that time said I need "BW10 code from the cover of the BibleWorks Quick-Start Guide" -- I have no idea where that is as we moved last year and some of my stuff is still in boxes.

Do I actually need that code on the booklet, or is the code sent via email sufficient to re-install?

Thanks!
    They should be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by now john View Post
    They should be the same.
    Oh great, thanks! What a relief! :-)

Oh great, thanks! What a relief! :-)
    Make sure that you do NOT use the flash drive to reinstall BW. Download the ISO from the BW homepage and use that to make the installation. The flash drive will not update properly, the ISO will.

Make sure that you do NOT use the flash drive to reinstall BW. Download the ISO from the BW homepage and use that to make the installation. The flash drive will not update properly, the ISO will.
    Oh thank you, I was just attempting to reinstall with the flash drive, and it was not working. I appreciate your pointer!

Hmm, now I am attempting to download the install file from the BW home page and it says that I can't. The message is:

"Sorry, you can't view or download this file at this time.
    Too many users have viewed or downloaded this file recently. Please try accessing the file again later. If the file you are trying to access is particularly large or is shared with many people, it may take up to 24 hours to be able to view or download the file. If you still can't access a file after 24 hours, contact your domain administrator."

Any suggestions? I'm going to be very annoyed if I can't reinstall now.

Oh thank you, I was just attempting to reinstall with the flash drive, and it was not working. I appreciate your pointer!
    If an installation of BW fails, it sometime make later attempts to install also fail. When you get the ISO, run the setup program. If it offers to repair, modify, or uninstall, use the installation program to uninstall. Then make sure that the the BW folder is completely deleted. Then reboot the computer. Make sure no other programs are running and turn off antivirus if possible. Then reinstall. Then reboot again. Then run the program. Hopefully that will work.

In any case make sure that the BW folder is completely deleted if one exists and that no other programs are running, then use the ISO to install BW if it does not offer the three choices mentioned above.

If an installation of BW fails, it sometime make later attempts to install also fail. When you get the ISO, run the setup program. If it offers to repair, modify, or uninstall, use the installation program to uninstall. Then make sure that the the BW folder is completely deleted. Then reboot the computer. Make sure no other programs are running and turn off antivirus if possible. Then reinstall. Then reboot again. Then run the program. Hopefully that will work.

In any case make sure that the BW folder is completely deleted if one exists and that no other programs are running, then use the ISO to install BW if it does not offer the three choices mentioned above.
    thanks. The issue there trying to install from the flash drive was that it kept saying i hadn't entered an activation code, which I had. So, I tried your advice about doing the ISO download but as I mentioned, that also did not work.

thanks. The issue there trying to install from the flash drive was that it kept saying i hadn't entered an activation code, which I had. So, I tried your advice about doing the ISO download but as I mentioned, that also did not work.
    Keep trying the download. So far it has always become available again. Here is a set of notes that I have about reinstalling.

Use the ISO from the BW home page. Use of a download manager is recommended.
    Verify that you have administrative rights.
    If you have enough storage space, backup the entire BW folder. If not, backup all user created and user changed files. These can be restored after BW is working properly.
    If you have enough storage space, extract the ISO to an internal drive. I use the free 7-Zip utility for this. Using BWCheckDisc.exe from the extracted BW folder, check the integrity of the extracted ISO.
    Delete all files in c:\users\[current user]\appdata\local\temp and c:\windows\temp.
    Uninstall BW10 using setup.exe from the (extracted) ISO. Use the Uninstall option.
    Delete the BibleWorks10 folder entirely.
    Reboot the computer.
    Turn off security software, especially antivirus software. Make sure that no other programs are running. Turn off unnecessary services. I do not turn off Windows Defender and have not heard of an instance where it interfered with a BW installation.
    Re-install BW using the (extracted) ISO. Reboot the computer.
    Update Bibleworks before using it for anything else and repeat until no more updates (that you want to install) are available. Make sure that you install all BW program updates, that is, updates to the executable file.
    Reboot the computer again.
    Turn on security software.

If that procedure does not work, repeat it with these additions. Some are drastic, but if the above doesn't work, something drastic may be what you need. If you do not have enough space to extract the ISO, get an external hard drive and extract the ISO to it. If you have an installation drive from BW you could wipe it and extract the ISO to it. A 32 GB USB drive will work. After deleting the BibleWorks folder on your computer, reboot the computer and then delete all BibleWorks entries in the Windows registry. Reboot the computer again. The usual warning applies: Editing the Windows registry can be a dangerous procedure and you may need to reinstall Windows to fix a mistake.
    Also check: Knowledgebase article https://kb.bibleworks.com/index.php?...s-k1sNqQVSfT8~ (Article AA-03019) gives some additional details, as well as this thread: https://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sh...will-not-start

If these steps do not work, post back.

So, I was finally able to download the ISO file for Windows 10. I started the setup to install, and again when I entered my activation code when asked, the installer said that I had not entered one. I am at a loss at this point for what to do to reinstall Bibleworks. I'm so frustrated that I invested so much $ in this software over the years, including the upgrade right before the company closed, to now be in this position of basically no support to continue to use software I have paid for and was assured I could continue to use.