Thread: searching prepositional phrases

Default searching prepositional phrases

Hi all,

I am trying to search for a particular prepositional phrase in this order and construction: eis noun kai noun. Can't seem to find this ability in the command line. This is coming from a study of Luke 2:34 "for the fall and rise". I am curious as to how the preposition governs both nouns or just the first (if this is one group of people or two different groups of people) and hoping a search may reveal how the prep can govern both or just one.

Thanks

Kyle

Hi, Wassell. Try this: first set the search version to a morphological one, e.g., BNM. Then search on

'eis *@na* kai *@na*
    This will search for an exact string consisting of eis followed by any noun in the accusative case, then kai, then any noun in the accusative. As you type, notice how options for symbols representing search elements drop down.

You might want to right-click in the command line and select Command Line Examples. This will open a very useful section of the Help with examples of how to structure searches. Hope this is helpful!

If you want to get really ambitious, set BGM as the search version; it covers LXX as well as NT. I got 119 hits. A lot of them were place names, but there were plenty of others.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

If you want to filter out the names (proper nouns) you can modify the search from <'eis *@na* kai *@na*> to <'eis *@na??c* kai *@na??c*>. This works only for morph versions using the BibleWorks Greek Coding Scheme -- BNM, BGM, and a number of non-Biblical versions, like JOM and PHM. Friberg's scheme (GNM) and the one used for most of the non-NA versions do not have a code to distinguish Proper/Common nouns. (The end *'s aren't needed, since there are no following codes, but I include them as a matter of mental hygiene because they do no harm, and usually are required.)

--Jim

This is perfect, thank you!

I must have overlooked the Command Line examples - I will revisit that.

Thanks again!