Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Working Catalina solution for the impatient

Quote Originally Posted by driessencsb View Post
    Hi Fantomas,

When you say, "Just download the DVD here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ezW...OPuicPdHUb18kB

Are you talking about the same thing as: BW10 DVD
    Yes exactly. You can download the ISO file, which is a bit copy of the BW10 DVD, or rather the jump drive that you keep referring to.

The thing is that I suppose some degree of computer literacy. From the Mac OS system point of view, it is completely irrelevant, whether you connect a physical DVD drive, physical flash (jump) drive of an ISO/IMG/DMG file. So that's why I didn't even mention this too, because it doesn't matter at all, you just need to connect it, whatever you have. However, if I'm too optimistic, don't feel bad, just ask.

Default Downloading the BW10

Thank you, John, for that link to download BW10 :

Click on the link below. On the page that appears click on the download button in the center of the page. The file is very big. It may take hours to download. After you get it downloaded perhaps you can talk to Jeremy again and he can help you use that file to install BW.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ezW...OPuicPdHUb18kB

But when I click on it, it says there are too many people using it and I may have to wait 24 hours before it is free to download! I guess I'll just have to keep trying every so often! I really appreciate your help!

And thank you, Fantomas, for explaining all this! I'll just keep working on it! Learning lots! That's for sure.

Another gentleman from Codeweavers, Ryan, has found a way to install the BW10 using Windows install rather than the 64-bit Mac version, and he got all the way to the activation page. So now I have to try it!

Just so you gentlemen know, I am pretty clueless on all of this. Is my jump drive a 64-bit Mac version or a windows version? I'm still waiting to download the BW10 (it says it is tied up for a while!) which hopefully is a windows install. Perhaps I am missing something here! You all are so patient!

Thank you everyone! Christine

Default Not allowing me to open : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ezWBG4dQRMJxd3EvDbOPuicPdH

No preview available

Download

Connect more apps...

Try one of the apps below to open or edit this item
    Suggested third-party apps

CloudConvert

Copy, URL to Google Drive

Direct Link Creator (Share, UnShare)

I tried to copy the message I get, but it did not copy. It says:

No preview available .

Download . Connect more apps

Try one of the apps below
    Cloudconvert
    Copy URL to Google Drive
    Direct Link Creator Share unshare

When I click on Download, it brings up the message that there are too many users downloading or viewing this at this time.

So should I just keep waiting?

And thank you, Fantomas, for explaining all this! I'll just keep working on it! Learning lots! That's for sure.

Another gentleman from Codeweavers, Ryan, has found a way to install the BW10 using Windows install rather than the 64-bit Mac version, and he got all the way to the activation page. So now I have to try it!

Just so you gentlemen know, I am pretty clueless on all of this. Is my jump drive a 64-bit Mac version or a windows version? I'm still waiting to download the BW10 (it says it is tied up for a while!) which hopefully is a windows install. Perhaps I am missing something here! You all are so patient!

Just keep clicking on the Download button. When it works you may get a second window about viruses. Click on download again (or it may be Continue, I don't remember). It seems to go in and out of availability somewhat randomly. So far it has always become available again. But be prepared to let your computer run a long time after it does finally begin the download. Make sure that you have enough free space on your computer for the installed BW folder, for Crossover, and for the ISO. That could be more than 50 Gigabytes. It is possible to download the ISO to a thumb drive if you don't have that much room on the drive that is in your computer now.

There is only one file that should be used now to install BW10. It is the ISO that you are trying to download.
    The ISO can be used directly on Windows to install BW.
    There used to be two helper programs that allowed the ISO be installed on Macs. They no can longer install a working copy of BW on newer versions of Macs.
    A Mac BW version, in some sense, has never existed.

Your jump drive contains an older version of the BW installer. It should not be used for installation now. Only the downloaded ISO should be used.

There are three main choices now. All use the ISO.
    BW may be directly installed on a Windows computer.
    BW may be directly installed to a copy of Windows that can run on a Mac. A Mac program is used to run Windows on a Mac computer. When this happens the Mac runs its normal programs and the additional Mac program that runs Windows. BW can then be used directly in that program just as though it was running on a real computer. The program simulates a running computer. One of the names for that program is a virtual machine.

BW can also be installed on a Mac so that it can run with CrossOver or another program like it. A copy of Windows is not needed. Crossover is a program that is like an interpreter. It knows how to listen to BW and then tell the Mac OS what to do, and hopefully the Mac understands and does what is has been told to do and BW can run.

See this link if you are curious how CrossOver runs programs. https://www.codeweavers.com/support/...c/bottlesintro
    Last edited by now john; 12-11-2019 at 11:08 AM.

You're welcome, Christine

Were you able to install BW10 from the ISO file?

If not, I exported a CrossOver bottle which contains only BibleWorks 10 in the latest version. You just need to open it, import it and then, when you run BibleWorks, you need to enter your activation code. It's just a basic version without other languages (only Hebrew, Greek, Latin and English) and without the manuscripts. It's still a 2 GB file, so it will take a while to download. You can download it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/80sx5d3pir...cxarchive?dl=0

After you get it running, you should be able to install other things you need from the jump drive or the ISO of the BW10 DVD. I checked, it works.

To your other question: the jump drive is probably both: Windows as well as Mac version. It uses the same files in the end. However the Mac part doesn't work on Catilina, therefore you need to use CrossOver and the Windows part of the drive. In other words, just run the setup.exe file.

So good luck and if you need to clear something out, just ask.

This is a very inventive solution! Just so I am clear, I would need the CodeWeaver license to make this work and then download the basic BW10 file, open it and run the ISO to bring in the additional resources?

Default Crossover sale

Since a new version of CodeWeavers CrossOver Mac is being released they are having a 40% off sale.
    There is also a free trial available.
    One year version. Normally $59.95 now $35.97
    One version. Normally $39.95 now $23.97
    One LifeTime $499.95
    There is a discount coupon on the home page. It expires December 17, 2019.

This if from the BW home page.

We will do our best to insure compatibility of BibleWorks 10 with future Mac OS changes but the situation is more complex than with the PC platform. The coming macOS versions require 64-bit programs. BibleWorks is in good shape for this, and we will soon release a full x64 Mac Installer dmg. We will also be working with CodeWeavers to explore options for them to continue compatibility support for the BibleWorks Mac Installer.

This may be the best solution for a Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by jfidel View Post
    This is a very inventive solution! Just so I am clear, I would need the CodeWeaver license to make this work and then download the basic BW10 file, open it and run the ISO to bring in the additional resources?
    It is not quite that simple. This gives some basic information: See this link if you are curious how CrossOver runs programs. https://www.codeweavers.com/support/...c/bottlesintro

Hopefully after things get settled down someone will write out a carefully written, step by step procedure. The update has only recently come out of beta and still has some rough edges.