Thread: mapping file error

Default mapping file error

I am the happy owner and ardent user of BW10, and it is a most wonderful tool in my research.

However, when using BW10 on my laptop, I have recently struck upon a problem:

When I try to open the programme, a small window appears: “Mapping file error in OTP” and then follows a reference to (maybe) a Qumran text. The programme startup ends here, and the programme will not start up.

Do you have an idea of what I can do to get around this error message?

Thank you for your help

Carsten Vang, Ass. Prof.
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Vang View Post
    When I try to open the programme, a small window appears: “Mapping file error in OTP” and then follows a reference to (maybe) a Qumran text.
    Carsten Vang, Ass. Prof.
    Denmark
    I can at least suggest a temporary repair.

At this point I would normally say, make sure that BW is not running. If you are running Windows 10, open right click on the Windows logo in the task bar. Single click on File Explorer. If BibleWorks is in the default location, double click on C:, double click on Program Files (x86), double click on BibleWorks 10, double click on databases. Strike the letter o key, scroll down until you find a set of files that begin with OTP. You should find a OTP.vmc and OTP.vmf. If you can find OTP files but they are not labeled with .vmc or .vmf, look at the menu in the upper left corner. Open View (sometimes a single click, sometimes a second click is necessary). Toward the right click the box before File name extensions.
    Right click on OTP.vmc and rename it OTP.c. Rename OTP.vmf, OTP.f.
    Now restart BW. That error message should be gone and hopefully BW will start.
    Last edited by now john; 11-15-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Default mapping file error, a next step

If BW ran by changing the file name extensions, run BibleWorks.
    Return to the databases folder and find the file: OTP.f and rename it OTP.vmf.
    If there is an OTP.bww file, double click it. A BW editor file should open, that hopefully will allow you to identify the language group.
    If not, in the command line type OTP{enter}, and view the text.
    If that doesn't give the answer, go to the Browse Window. If you cannot see OTP near the upper left corner, click on the down arrow on the far right from "Browse Window"
    Now click on OTP and a list of language groups will appear. Scroll through the list until you find the language group of the OTP.

Click Tools in the main menu. Click Options, then Bible Versions, Verse Maps.
    Select the language of the OTP. Then in the Version list find OTP.
    It should open the vmf file so that it can be edited.
    Click on Check Consistency. It should find the error and give you a message that might help. If it is simple, double click on the verse reference and make a correction. You may want to note the original in the comment box. Save you changes, run the Check again.

If it gets too complicated, you might want to quit. Rename OTP.vmf to OTP.f and post again. Perhaps someone could sent you an OTP.vmf file that works.

But a further question is why did the error message pop up now. File corruption is possible but not usual. Not sure I have a clue right now what the answer might be.

In case you haven't noticed verse mapping before, it is a solution to the problem that different versions can have different verse boundaries.

OTP is Charles' Pseudepigrapha in BW version form; It is also in BW in Windows Help format, Resources / Backgrounds / Charles, Old Testament Pseudepigrapha.

The verse mapping file for OTP synchronizes it to OPG (Greek) / OPM (Morph) / OPE (English): Old Testament Greek Pseudepigrapha prepared by Craig Evans.

If you do not have the OPG version installed, that may cause your problem.
    Using empty verse mapping files (now john's proposed solution) should work fine, unless you want to use OTP with OPG and/or OPE.

If you have OPG, and want a working OTP.vmf file, you can use the attached one. Copy it into your BibleWorks databases file. Close BibleWorks! Make sure that the existing OTP.vmf and OTP.vmc files are either renamed or deleted. Rename the attached file from OTP.vmf.txt to OTP.vmf . When you start BW it will automatically create an OTP.vmc file from your .vmf file.
    OTP.vmf.txt

--Jim

Default problem still not solved

Thank you so much, John and Jim, for your suggestions and council.

I have the OTG version, and it has worked without problems until ca. two months ago. Through your suggestions, John, I have renamed the OTP.vmc and OTP.wmf files. The error message has now disappeared. However the BW program still refuses to start up. The start-up screen appears for a few seconds and then disappears. And nothing happens.

Since I cannot open the BW program, it hasn't helped me to import the new OTP.vmf file into the Databases folder.

I am a bit bewildered.

Yours Carsten

However the BW program still refuses to start up. The start-up screen appears for a few seconds and then disappears. And nothing happens. Yours Carsten
    Have you rebooted the system since you renamed the files?

Are you running Windows 10?

Are you running as an administrator or non-administrator?

In File Explorer navigate to the BibleWorks 10 folder. Double click BW1000.exe. Does that help?

Hold down the shift key and double click BW1000.exe. A UAC prompt may appear and you must enter a password if you have one. If not, press enter. BibleWorks Trouble-Shooting Options will open. In the bottom line click on Restore previous version. There may be none. But if there are any you could try clicking on the most recent. If that also fails, continue until one works or all fail.

If all fail, reopen the window again. This time choose option 1, Delete the BW1000.INI file. (first check box). Then click Perform the selected options and run BibleWorks.

I sent you a Private Message.
    Last edited by now john; 11-15-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Default Problem partly replicated, but with no permanent hanging

When I try to open the programme, a small window appears: “Mapping file error in OTP” and then follows a reference to (maybe) a Qumran text. The programme startup ends here, and the programme will not start up.

Do you have an idea of what I can do to get around this error message?
    I can largely replicate this problem if I first close Bibleworks with the browse window displaying OPE, OTP and OPG with OPM set as the search version. On attempting to reopen Bibleworks, the following error message appears:

Name:  Screenshot (14).png
Views: 41
Size:  8.7 KB

However, if I wait a few seconds and click the OK button, BibleWorks loads as normal. I'm not sure why it won't load at all for you.

John

Default Problem partly replicated

Yes that is exactly the error message that I used to receive when I tried to run BW. However, even if I waited for many minutes, nothing would happen when I clicked on OK apart from the error message disappearing, and the program would not run.

Default Problem solved!

I decided to uninstall the BW10 program and deleted all old BW files from the BW folder. Then I reinstalled the program, and now it opens og runs, as it did previously. Thank you to all of you who have gives valuable explanations and suggestions of what to do.

Best wishes

Carsten