Thread: Questions about reinstalling BW10 when rebuilding a PC

Default Questions about reinstalling BW10 when rebuilding a PC

First post on this forum, but a long term BW user, since BW6

My workstation has become corrupted and needs to be refreshed. I was told by BibleWorks when I purchased BW10 that I would not have to de-register the program before re-installing. If I'm wrong about this, please advise.

My bigger question is about program updates. At the present time, updates seem to be available even though BibleWorks is closed down. Do I need to, and is there a way to, capture program updates and store them somewhere local in the event updates will become unavailable over the internet? I'm not worried about this rebuild, but I can envision having to re-install BW10 at other points in the future and want to know if I should try at this time to preserve the updates as they become available and how I might do that.

Quote Originally Posted by alanlee View Post
    First post on this forum, but a long term BW user, since BW6

My workstation has become corrupted and needs to be refreshed. I was told by BibleWorks when I purchased BW10 that I would not have to de-register the program before re-installing. If I'm wrong about this, please advise.
    There is (apparently) no way to de-register and it is not mentioned as part of the routine of making a new installation on the same computer. But you should only use the ISO that is mentioned on www.bibleworks.com. It is a large download, about 23 GB.

My bigger question is about program updates. At the present time, updates seem to be available even though BibleWorks is closed down. Do I need to, and is there a way to, capture program updates and store them somewhere local in the event updates will become unavailable over the internet? I'm not worried about this rebuild, but I can envision having to re-install BW10 at other points in the future and want to know if I should try at this time to preserve the updates as they become available and how I might do that.
    The only updates that are available now and not already included in the ISO can be installed by first installing the ISO and then using the Update feature from within BibleWorks. For the present the owner of BibleWorks is committed to updating BW so that it works on Windows 10. There is provision using the Update feature in BW to backup BW updates and also retain the files used to make the updates. It would not hurt to turn those options on in case the day comes when updates are not available.

Quote Originally Posted by now john View Post
    There is (apparently) no way to de-register and it is not mentioned as part of the routine of making a new installation on the same computer. But you should only use the ISO that is mentioned on www.bibleworks.com. It is a large download, about 23 GB.

The only updates that are available now and not already included in the ISO can be installed by first installing the ISO and then using the Update feature from within BibleWorks. For the present the owner of BibleWorks is committed to updating BW so that it works on Windows 10. There is provision using the Update feature in BW to backup BW updates and also retain the files used to make the updates. It would not hurt to turn those options on in case the day comes when updates are not available.
    Thanks for your quick response. I have the program on a USB stick that came from BibleWorks. I also made copies of the USB sticks onto a large capacity DVD. Are you suggesting I should also try to download the ISO? I had tried that previously, but the download failed several times and I stopped trying, but I will re-attempt if that is your advice.

Regarding saving the update files, following "Help > Check for Updates > Options", there is a menu item titled "Save patch file after applying". Is this the "backup BW updates" feature you are referring to above? Assuming so, where are the files located and how would I re-execute them? Do I need to copy those files off onto a CD or something, and then read them back in for a new installation?

I am curious that when you said ''workstation has become corrupted and needs to be refreshed'', did you mean all the hardware components of the system remain unchanged but all the softwares (including the OS) will be wiped out and reinstalled (ie a harddisk reformat maybe) ?

I wonder if there is a difference between re-installing BW10 into an ''unchanged hardware'' PC and installing BW10 into a PC with ''completely new hardware'' (but BW10 was previously installed in an old machine)?

Not intending to hijack this thread and I apologize if I have diverted the topic.

Are you suggesting I should also try to download the ISO? I had tried that previously, but the download failed several times and I stopped trying, but I will re-attempt if that is your advice.
    The following sentence - If you do a BW10 reinstall after July 24, 2018 you should do it from the ISO, not old media. - is from this post: https://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sh...6198#post36198 by the owner of BW.

Regarding saving the update files, following "Help > Check for Updates > Options", there is a menu item titled "Save patch file after applying". Is this the "backup BW updates" feature you are referring to above?
    Yes

Assuming so, where are the files located and how would I re-execute them? Do I need to copy those files off onto a CD or something, and then read them back in for a new installation?
    On Windows 10 they are located in the C:\Program Files (x86)\patches\ directory. But when you install with the ISO, as things are now, the ISO will have all of the updates except updates to the file that runs the program. If there are updates to that, using the Updater will install them. You could backup the patches directory to a CD, USB drive, the cloud, or any other media. When you reinstall BW you could add the files from the old patches folder to the new. Then check "Show downloaded/hidden patches." Then use the BW Updates option to display and install those patches. But unless something changes, the best practice is to install from the ISO, then run the updater. That should bring BW to the current version.

When you tried downloading the ISO before, did you use a download manager. Usually they are able to restart an interrupted download. If you haven't used a download manager before, I recommend FreeDownloadManager. Download the program. I used Chrome and installed the FreeDownloadManager extension. I set it up to automatically take over downloads. I also recommend trying it out on a couple or so downloads just to make sure you have it working the way you want it to work. Then I would use it to download BW. You can open the FDM program as you use the extension and it will show the progress and give more info than the extension itself. It was a while ago that I did this. The program may have been updated and not behave as I remember or my memory may be inaccurate, so test things first.

But you should also backup any notes and other user files from the old installation if you can to use them with the new installation.
    Last edited by now john; 11-03-2019 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shalommatt View Post
    I am curious that when you said ''workstation has become corrupted and needs to be refreshed'', did you mean all the hardware components of the system remain unchanged but all the softwares (including the OS) will be wiped out and reinstalled (ie a harddisk reformat maybe) ?

I wonder if there is a difference between re-installing BW10 into an ''unchanged hardware'' PC and installing BW10 into a PC with ''completely new hardware'' (but BW10 was previously installed in an old machine)?

Not intending to hijack this thread and I apologize if I have diverted the topic.
    NO hijack at all. It is important. It is very rare that installing BW on a brand new machine gives trouble. The usual causes of that are pre-installed virus programs cause problems and must be disabled for BW to install properly, or a downloaded ISO that is downloaded improperly and is defective. If the internal drive is reformatted, it is like a new machine.

But Windows 10 can be reinstalled in a way that leaves some of the user files. In that case sometimes it is quite difficult to reinstall BW.

Yes, complete software overwrite via Dell-advised reset using Dell image. It wipes everything except basics like passwords, internet favorites, etc.

I won't be able to comment on this idea until I have to move sermon-prep to a new machine.

No worries; that's what forums are for, to ask and receive. Besides, John has me well-taken care of as you can see.

John, thanks for the clarification. I'll look for that directory when re-install is complete, and I will make the effort to get the ISO.

Best Regards,

Yes, complete software overwrite via Dell-advised reset using Dell image. It wipes everything except basics like passwords, internet favorites, etc.
    One thing concerns me with the above. If it were a complete overwrite, usually BW installs easily, as on a new machine. But if somethings are saved and if some of those things had to do with BW, I would be concerned.

It seems that one of the main causes of difficulty with BW re-installs is when bits of the old installation are left on the computer and interfere with a new installation of BW. If it were my computer, I would save anything I wanted to save to a USB drive. Then I would completely overwrite the old so nothing of it remained and so the computer would be like a new one. Then I would install BW and restore the data and files from the USB drive. Or simply put, I would have it wipe everything, without exceptions.

I just noticed that I gave the wrong directory for the patches. It should be c:\program files (x86)\bibleworks 10\patches\. I do not use the location myself so I may have not got it exactly right, but I think that it is enough information that you can find it.
    Last edited by now john; 11-04-2019 at 11:04 AM.