Thread: How edit custom x-ref database entry when it causes BibleWorks to crash?

Default How edit custom x-ref database entry when it causes BibleWorks to crash?

My heavily customized, personal x-ref database is incompatible with the new version of Windows 10. It did not help to cleanly reinstall using the new BW10 ISO.
    Since I was recently forced to finally accept the Windows 10 (1903) update, my BW10 started crashing whenever I moved my cursor over any entry in my custom x-ref database that references a version that is not the current display version, e.g., a Luke 10:26 x-ref entry for an Apocryphal book in NRS when the display version is NAU.

I have achieved almost completely (still need help) restored functionality of my BW10 custom x-ref by merely changing a setting:
    1) In the X-Refs tab, click "Options" to open dropdown window
    2) Hover cursor over "View" and then click "Select Bible version to use for displayed text"
    3) Select button for "Use the Bible version specified in the cross-reference database"; click "OK"
    This now allows a custom entry, e.g., to Psalms of Solomon in OPE, to know longer crash the program when it is overhovered, and the custom x-ref database now displays the texts of every entry, no matter to which book it may refer outside the Bible.

So I can use all but Luke 10:27, which is needed for my doctoral thesis.
    When I attempt to access Luke 10:27's X-Refs tab using my custom x-ref database, BW10 crashes.
    I suppose there must be something uniquely wrong with Luke 10:27 in my custom x-ref database making it still crash BW10 when I attempt to access the verse's X-Refs tab using my custom x-ref database.

So now all I have to do is somehow gain access to the Luke 10:27 entry of my custom x-ref file in order to remove whatever entry/-ies make(s) it cause BW10 to crash when I select it.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?
    Can an x-ref file from BW10 be opened in BW9? I was unable to do it in BW9 on my old Windows 7 laptop.
    Is there some way to open the x-ref file with another program to allow editing it?

If necessary, I will proceed to uninstall BW9 on my old laptop and install BW10 in hopes that I can edit the Luke 10:27 entry of my custom x-ref database in the old Windows 7 operating system (since the updated Windows 10 disallows it).

Thus I must also ask if there are a limited number of BW9 and BW10 installations allowed? Can I install BW10 on my next computer without uninstalling it from my old laptop? (Assuming that I can regain a future installation by uninstalling a previous installation--is that the case?)

Yours in the fellowship of BibleWorking brethren,
    James

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMace View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to do this?
    Can an x-ref file from BW10 be opened in BW9? I was unable to do it in BW9 on my old Windows 7 laptop.
    Is there some way to open the x-ref file with another program to allow editing it?

If necessary, I will proceed to uninstall BW9 on my old laptop and install BW10 in hopes that I can edit the Luke 10:27 entry of my custom x-ref database in the old Windows 7 operating system (since the updated Windows 10 disallows it).

Thus I must also ask if there are a limited number of BW9 and BW10 installations allowed? Can I install BW10 on my next computer without uninstalling it from my old laptop? (Assuming that I can regain a future installation by uninstalling a previous installation--is that the case?)
    James
    I've never tried to create a custom x-ref file, so I don't know how that is done. I presume BW must have a specialized editor to do it with. The files, as near as I can tell, are *.xrd files located in C:\Program Files (x86)\BibleWorks 10\databases, and they seem to be binary files, so not editable in e.g. Notepad, and probably needing that specialized editor to work on them.

I don't believe there is a limit to the number of installations allowed; at any rate I'm pretty sure there's no need to uninstall from one device to install on another, as long as you're not trying to populate a seminary computer lab with one BW license. The license agreement in the Help file says, "You may: i. use the BibleWorks software and databases: (a) on a single, non-networked computer, or (b) on several non-networked computers provided that the BibleWorks software and databases are not used by more than one user per license fee paid at any one time, or (c) on several computers in a single local area network, provided that the BibleWorks software and databases are not used by more than one user per license fee paid at any one time."
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    I don't believe there is a limit to the number of installations allowed
    Dear David,
    Yes, my custom x-ref database is one of the *.xrd files located in C:\Program Files (x86)\BibleWorks 10\databases), so thanks for the opinion re the probability of needing the specialized BW editor on the binary (whatever that means) file.
    But still I hope somebody else may know how to do it outside of BW10--hm?

And definitely thanks for your reading of the license info, which seems like the proper reading and good news for me, the sole user.

So, if no other method of editing comes forth, I can always fearlessly install BW10 on my old Windows 7 computer and hope that I can edit the entry for Luke 10:27 in my custom x-ref database.

BTW--I have found that adding entries into a x-ref database is maybe the best way for me to integrate biblical theological source material and thus one of the most useful features of the BW program!

Yours, James

Interesting. Thanks, James. I've never thought of creating a custom x-ref file, and I can definitely see where it could be handy. One of the great things about BW is the vast range of features it has, so that one is always discovering, or learning about, new ones.

A "binary" file just means one that is written in computer-readable code rather than plain text. Thus they require specially programmed tools to operate on them.

I hope you're able to successfully edit your x-ref file on the Win7 machine and get it to work on the Win10 one. I'm still using Windows 7, and still find it a great operating system. I've seen so many reports, on various software forums, about how Windows 10 or one of its updates broke stuff that was working, that I'm dreading the looming day when I need to "upgrade."
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    I've seen so many reports, on various software forums, about how Windows 10 or one of its updates broke stuff that was working, that I'm dreading the looming day when I need to "upgrade."
    Sardonic "ha!" Yes, you are wise to resist the Borg.

I have hit upon an intermediary technique, i.e., I will attempt to install the 11-1-2017 version of BW10 to my old Windows XP laptop, obviating the necessity of uninstalling BW9 from my Windows 7 laptop. If I am successful in editing the x-ref using that XP laptop, then I need not replace BW9 with BW10 on my Windows 7 laptop.

Let us wield the sword of the Spirit,
    James

I have hit upon an intermediary technique, i.e., I will attempt to install the 11-1-2017 version of BW10 to my old Windows XP laptop, obviating the necessity of uninstalling BW9 from my Windows 7 laptop. If I am successful in editing the x-ref using that XP laptop, then I need not replace BW9 with BW10 on my Windows 7 laptop.
    You don't have to uninstall BW9 from your Windows 7 laptop before installing BW10 if you have enough free disk space -- I have both BW9 and BW10 on my Windows 7 desktop. I very rarely use BW9, but have never had a problem with both being there.

--Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    You don't have to uninstall BW9 from your Windows 7 laptop before installing BW10 . . . --Jim
    O goody! Thank, Jim, for the great news! I have several customizations in the BW9 installation (esp. the custom search ranges which must all be repeated manually upon any installation) which I need not lose after all!
    I have so far been unsuccessful in accessing the Luke 10:27 entry on my custom x-ref database, even on Windows XP. (I begin to wonder if this is not part of Satan's opposition to my work therein regarding recovery of the Second Great Commandment needed to revive the Church--ha!)
    I'll get back with future developments.

I have several customizations in the BW9 installation (esp. the custom search ranges which must all be repeated manually upon any installation) which I need not lose after all!
    It is easy to back up / replace custom search ranges. I assume you are not talking about using verse lists (.vls files, which can easily be backed up), but the predefined limits you can define in BW Options / Searching / Search Limits. In your BW Init directory (both BW9 and BW10) there is a file limlist.udb that contains all of the predefined limits. This is actually a .txt file with a different suffix. You can edit it using Notepad if you wish. (I found the file name in a post by MGVH about creating a predefined limit for Q.)
    --Jim