Thread: How do you convert something from GSE to command line?

Default How do you convert something from GSE to command line?

If you have something in the GSE I understand there is a button to run the query.

But is there an option to generate a command line query i.e. that you can type or paste onto the command line and thus execute the query without the GSE?

Quote Originally Posted by ralphza View Post
    If you have something in the GSE I understand there is a button to run the query.

But is there an option to generate a command line query i.e. that you can type or paste onto the command line and thus execute the query without the GSE?
    I don't think it is possible.

As I understand it, the GSE was developed to allow users to develop and run queries that are not possible on the command line. This means that a query that exploits the capabilities of the GSE cannot be translated to a command line search.

Searches from the command line are not always run the same way as an equivalent query in GSE -- there are searches that run for a long time from the command line, but when converted by BW into a GSE query will run much more quickly.

The BW feature that creates a GSE query is useful both as a tool to illustrate how the GSE works for simple searches, and as a tool to allow the user to quickly create a GSE query that can then be modified to do the things that the command line cannot. (BW is good at translating command line searches to GSE queries, but I have on a few occasions found that it wasn't able to translate a complex command line correctly.)

--Jim