Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bibleworks 10 64bit does not work after installing Catalina

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    After a lot of thought I decided to buy Parallels in order to keep my BW10 working for a bit longer. It seems to work, except I keep getting an annoying error about some of the databases missing (eg grkalias.dbx, engalias.dbx, etc). When I check, the files are in fact not missing. If I say "retry" then it goes away for a few minutes, only to return the same error.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Attachment 1803
    Have you tried reinstalling BW? I'm using Windows XP on Parallels with BW installed and with no issue.

Default Bibleworks 10 with Catalina

Will we be getting a notification when a compatible version of Bibleworks 10 is available. Love the program and look forward to getting to use it again.

Default CrossOver 19 Alpha test

Hi everyone,
    I have just installed the Alpha version of new CrossOver 19 for Catalina and I want to confirm that BibleWorks 10 is running and working quite well. It's an alpha, so it's not really straightforward, but it looks good. Modifying the original bottle may not be such a problem, but I understand that nobody wants to release something which has hardly been tested and is in alpha stage... However there is hope

Fantomas,
    This is good to hear. Once it is released perhaps you could provide instructions on installing BW 10 on it as I do not expect the 64bit installer to be updated.

Sure, that should be no problem, in CrossOver, things are very simple. It should also be possible to make the bottle similar to the Mac installation, but there might be some license problems. Therefore it would be better for BibleWorks to release it.

Currently one needs to buy the program, but in the future, when a new version of Wine is released, it will be for free.

I agree that BW should release it!! However, I am not optimistic given some of the posts provided by Michael B. The BW webpage regarding continued use on the Mac does state that more effort will be done by BW to continue it's use, but I am not seeing anything from BW regarding that statement.

What about the Mac version of the program?

BibleWorks updates for the PC will also work on the Mac platform. We will do our best to insure compatibility of BibleWorks 10 with future Mac OS changes but the situation is more complex than with the PC platform. The coming macOS versions require 64-bit programs. BibleWorks is in good shape for this, and we will soon release a full x64 Mac Installer dmg. We will also be working with CodeWeavers to explore options for them to continue compatibility support for the BibleWorks Mac Installer. Finally, in any case, Mac users will likely be able to fall back to using a virtual machine (like Virtual Box, Fusion, or Parallels).

BibleWorks updates for the PC will also work on the Mac platform. We will do our best to insure compatibility of BibleWorks 10 with future Mac OS changes but the situation is more complex than with the PC platform. The coming macOS versions require 64-bit programs. BibleWorks is in good shape for this, and we will soon release a full x64 Mac Installer dmg. We will also be working with CodeWeavers to explore options for them to continue compatibility support for the BibleWorks Mac Installer. Finally, in any case, Mac users will likely be able to fall back to using a virtual machine (like Virtual Box, Fusion, or Parallels).

Default Crossover 19 is now in Beta

Howdy doody all

Thanks so much all for starting this thread and your comments. I'm in the same boat, but completely ignorant on what all this means.

First, I've been following Codeweavers and note they now have Crossover in Beta and it seems to be working well (see below)

https://www.codeweavers.com/about/bl...is-now-in-beta

Second, I'm in a position where I can wait until a fully tested version is available

Third, I have no idea what any of this means for me.

My question is this. What will I need to actually do in order to benefit from Crossover? In other words, given the Crossover solution is available, how do I get BW to run on my Macbook (Catalina).

Do I simply download Crossover and everything magically starts working? Or do I have to do a bunch of other stuff as well? If so what?

I'd be grateful for any guidance you all can offer.

Cheers

Steve
    Last edited by Mad Dog; 12-06-2019 at 09:19 PM. Reason: typo

Steve,
    it's actually more complicated than that.
    1. There has never been a real Mac version of BW. The solution chosen for the "Mac" version was actually a wrapper from CrossOver around the original Windows distribution. This is actually a very practical solution as it doesn't require rewriting the program from scratch, finding alternative solution for the CHM format resources and finally testing and debugging the whole thing. This would have been a project for several months, maybe even years. Meanwhile doing a CrossOver wrapper around the Windows app is quite a simple thing.
    2. It would have worked marvellously were it not for the decision of Apple to get rid of (almost) complete 32-bit subsystem. As CrossOver in previous versions relied on this completely, this solution ceased working in Catalina.

Now what is important for you:
    • currently there is no BW distribution for Mac that is working on Catalina.
    • I would like to know if BW is planing to release a new wrapper based on CrossOver 19. The current status is that CrossOver 19 is RC1 and the release of final version is planned for next week. BW10 is working very well with this version. So BW could prepare a new version of the wrapper and thus have a new "Mac" version.
    • The problem (as I understand it) is that Mike Bushell, although the BibleWorks Company ceased to exist more than a year ago, still provides some degree of support for Windows. However he is not a Mac programmer and for this, he hired someone else. And then let him go, some months after the Company ceased to exist. So he himself couldn't do it and probably won't be paying someone else from his own pocket to do it either.
    • So, the next best thing currently is to get CrossOver 19 and install BW like any other Windows program. I started a thread with instructions. The instructions work, just there won't be any beta testing shortly, so you will probably have to buy it (I'm sure there will be some kind of discount to get a price to about $40).
    • If you have any questions, ask away

Default Ahhh ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
    Steve,
    it's actually more complicated than that.
    1. There has never been a real Mac version of BW. The solution chosen for the "Mac" version was actually a wrapper from CrossOver around the original Windows distribution. This is actually a very practical solution as it doesn't require rewriting the program from scratch, finding alternative solution for the CHM format resources and finally testing and debugging the whole thing. This would have been a project for several months, maybe even years. Meanwhile doing a CrossOver wrapper around the Windows app is quite a simple thing.
    2. It would have worked marvellously were it not for the decision of Apple to get rid of (almost) complete 32-bit subsystem. As CrossOver in previous versions relied on this completely, this solution ceased working in Catalina.

Now what is important for you:
    • currently there is no BW distribution for Mac that is working on Catalina.
    • I would like to know if BW is planing to release a new wrapper based on CrossOver 19. The current status is that CrossOver 19 is RC1 and the release of final version is planned for next week. BW10 is working very well with this version. So BW could prepare a new version of the wrapper and thus have a new "Mac" version.
    • The problem (as I understand it) is that Mike Bushell, although the BibleWorks Company ceased to exist more than a year ago, still provides some degree of support for Windows. However he is not a Mac programmer and for this, he hired someone else. And then let him go, some months after the Company ceased to exist. So he himself couldn't do it and probably won't be paying someone else from his own pocket to do it either.
    • So, the next best thing currently is to get CrossOver 19 and install BW like any other Windows program. I started a thread with instructions. The instructions work, just there won't be any beta testing shortly, so you will probably have to buy it (I'm sure there will be some kind of discount to get a price to about $40).
    • If you have any questions, ask away
    Thanks heaps - that makes sense ... I'll check out your instructions :-)