Thread: Still Crashing

Default Still Crashing

I’m still having crashing problems. The problem is somewhere on my end. Mr. Bushell has done extensive work and we have not been able to come up with a solution. I so appreciate his tireless work and concern, praise the Lord!
    I have two questions. Is there a repair option on the instillation thumb drive? I purchased the latest available version before BW closed. I think it is rev. 4. My second question is would I have to reinstall the activation codes? I have them but I don’t think they work without the down loaded iso file.
    Charlie

Default repair option

The repair option won't overwrite any files created after installation. That includes activation files.
    As a last report you could back up you bw folder. Then uninstall it and delete the folder. Then reinstall. Then start using the program and adding back options and files until the crash starts again. That will help isolate where the problem is. There is also a list of usual things like checking disk integrity, memory integrity, viruses, and so on. It would be helpful to know if the crash occurs after a new install, giving it enough time before making changes to insure istability before making changes.
    Mike

Default Cannot save display versions

I used to be able to use BibleWorks with the versions I selected when I installed the software. Recently, every time when I opened BibleWorks, I have to add the display versions manually. Has anyone come cross this before, and how can I fix this problem?

Thanks
    Loretta

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    I used to be able to use BibleWorks with the versions I selected when I installed the software. Recently, every time when I opened BibleWorks, I have to add the display versions manually. Has anyone come cross this before, and how can I fix this problem?

Thanks
    Loretta
    The first thing to check is your Shutdown Options.
    Main Menu (top left corner of the BW window)
    Tools
    Options
    General
    Flags
    Shutdown Options
    Save setup options on exit

If "Save setup options on exit" is not checked, check it.
    It may have somehow become unchecked.

--Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    The first thing to check is your Shutdown Options.
    Main Menu (top left corner of the BW window)
    Tools
    Options
    General
    Flags
    Shutdown Options
    Save setup options on exit

If "Save setup options on exit" is not checked, check it.
    It may have somehow become unchecked.

--Jim
    Thanks a lot Jim for your assistance on this issue. In fact 'Save setup options on exit' is checked, so I still don't understand what causes this problem. On the other hand, I only encountered this problem recently. Every time when I opened BibleWorks I was asked to register. As I have already registered, so I clicked 'I have registered' but this issue still exist. Has it anything to do with this?

Loretta

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    Thanks a lot Jim for your assistance on this issue. In fact 'Save setup options on exit' is checked, so I still don't understand what causes this problem. On the other hand, I only encountered this problem recently. Every time when I opened BibleWorks I was asked to register. As I have already registered, so I clicked 'I have registered' but this issue still exist. Has it anything to do with this?

Loretta
    Since this is a persistent problem and BW asks you to register when you already have, I would recommend that you reinstall BW. I have included a recommended procedure below and also some notes if you still have problems after a complete reinstallation. I assume that you are running Windows. If not, this is a place to start for a Mac. https://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sh...7529#post37529

Download the ISO from the BW home page. Make a complete backup of your current BW folder. Close BW, disable antivirus programs, turn off any unnecessary services, and then reboot. Close all other programs. Use the ISO to uninstall BW. Reboot the system and use the ISO to make a new installation of BW. Reboot the system again and then update BW to the current version and then reboot the system a final time. Since you are having the crash don't use BW at all except to update it until after the final reboot. Usually this fixes the problem.

I have helped a number of BW users since BW closed with similar problems. Sometimes even the procedure above did not work. What did work then was to uninstall BW using the ISO, then completely delete the BW folder and then search the registry and delete all entries that were part of the BW program. Then reboot the system again and install BW again with AV and unnecessary service off and all other programs closed.

One other thing that seemed to help at least once was to extract the ISO to a folder and run setup.exe from that folder. I would also run BWCheckDisc.exe first from that folder. That would confirm that the ISO was successfully downloaded and that the extraction was also successful.

One other note from the forum.
    https://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sh...7484#post37484
    OK. I was able to finally install BW10. I had tried browsing to the setup.exe in both the USB stick and the downloaded ISO. What did work (and I include this here for future Google searchers) is to change the TEMP location from the User directory to the root C:/ drive. Once I did that, my installation went ahead fine. I can't find the article that suggested the fix, but the changing of temp location in environment variables can be seen here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/285710/how...another-drive/

https://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sh...7488#post37488
    Thanks for sharing this. I have run into a similar problem with certain Adobe applications. I don't even remember which ones, but it did take a long time to find the problem. I have an SSD main drive and I like to move the temp folder to an external drive. You should be able to move the temp folder back to where you had it after installation. Curiously though, BW installs fine on my PC even though I have moved the temp folder. Sometimes what is needed is to clear out the temp folder.

Mike

Hope this helps. If not, post back. There are other things that can be done to get BW to work if the above does not. Also post back if you need help with any of the above procedures.
    Last edited by now john; 08-09-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks so much Mike for such a detailed explanation and procedure. I would follow this instruction and try. Hope the program will be back to normal after re-installation. Will keep you informed of this.

Loretta

Well, about a week ago my computer updated to Win. 10 Pro1903. BW 10 has not crashed once during this week. I also tried some of the things that often made it crash, Praise the Lord no crashing! Also I became a Grandpa for the 18thtime this week, Praise the Lord twice J
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Well, about a week ago my computer updated to Win. 10 Pro1903. BW 10 has not crashed once during this week. I also tried some of the things that often made it crash, Praise the Lord no crashing! Also I became a Grandpa for the 18thtime this week, Praise the Lord twice J
    Charlie
    THREAD HIJACK! 18x. Praise God! I just became grandpa for the 1st time 4 weeks ago.
    David Spear
    Calvary Chapel of Manassas
    Manassas, Va. 20110
    http://www.calvarychapelmanassas.org/
    KJV Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without (apart from) the deeds of the law.