Thread: How to modify BDB?

Default How to modify BDB?

I was reading Isa 1:10 this morning, and ran across a typo in BDB: קְעִינֵי for קְצִינֵי.

There's no point in reporting this to the content provider, since my understanding is that these databases won't be updated further.

Assuming that, is it possible to modify the database myself? If so, please point me to the topic in Help.

TIA!

Kirk
    Kirk E. Lowery, PhD

No solution to your actual question (I'm a scholar, Jim, not a magician!), but I notice that that same entry in BDB has another error: קְצִינַיִח for ‎קְצִינַ֥יִךְ. Yikes.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

That was what I was afraid of. Could I use highlighting or annotation to mark the typos (and other notations)? I tried, but there didn't seem to be a way to do it...
    Kirk E. Lowery, PhD

Mike Bushell is probably the only person that could answer your question with authority.

However, you can very easily create a copy of any lexicon entry in your own UserLex. There it is in .bww (.rtf) format, and can easily be edited for content, colored, highlighted, etc. By default UserLex stuff goes into a directory called BibleWorks10/UserLex/default. If you want to keep your BDB corrections separate you can use the Options button in the UserLex tab to create a new directory. Then, if you use something like windows explorer to look at that directory you will see which BDB entries you have modifed.

Yeah, it's awkward, but does allow you to keep a record within BW.

--Jim

Thanks, Jim, for the suggestion. I've been wanting to explore UserLex, and here's a practical use case.

Can I have UserLex come up in the lexicon window along with, e.g., HALOT, BDB, etc.? Is it required to access UserLex outside of BW?
    Kirk E. Lowery, PhD

Quote Originally Posted by CapnKirk View Post
    Thanks, Jim, for the suggestion. I've been wanting to explore UserLex, and here's a practical use case.

Can I have UserLex come up in the lexicon window along with, e.g., HALOT, BDB, etc.? Is it required to access UserLex outside of BW?
    BW10 Help section 36 has a concise description that is well worth reading. I'll add a few comments of my own:
    UserLex is a tab in the Analysis Window, very like Notes. While the Notes tab uses the BW Editor to create a file for the current Verse or Chapter, UserLex tab uses the BW Editor to create a file for the Lemma you have hovered over. BW creates a file only for Lemmas that you choose to create a UserLex note for. (I find that for both UserLex and Verse/Chapter Notes it is easy to create empty files, probably by clicking in the tab so that BW thinks I have used it. Which is a nuisance. So I usually have that tab open only when I know I will want to use it.)

When I use UserLex I usually have 2 Analysis Windows open, with the Word Analysis Tab (which displays HALOT, BDB, etc.) in the first window, and UserLex in the second window, so they are visible at the same time, but beside each other rather than UserLex being in the same tab.

UserLex is very much an integral part of BW; I go into Window Explorer when I want to check to see which lemmas I have commented on.

--Jim

I have a running list of BDB typos which I have found over the years. I used to submit them to BW regularly. Someone other than Mike B. was given the task of making corrections. But as far as I know none have been made for many years. They were busy putting out new databases. A few months ago I tried making corrections to LSJM on my own. But once I did, the database stopped working. I contacted Mike B., and he mentioned that there is a way to make corrections, but not one currently available to us users (his early experience taught him that most of us users wanted "corrections" which were not actually corrections but more our opinions or mistakes. If we were to change the default database, we could not get back to the official version (without reinstalling or repairing the installation). So it was less of a hastle not to let users "correct" some files. I'll try again to ask Mike B. if I might be allowed to make these corrections, since I already do update the Greek alias files and verse map files. I can't promise anything. But, I would be happy to receive notice of any typos you see. e-mail my name, lower case, without a space at att.net.
    Mark Eddy