Thread: BibleWorks has encountered a severe error

Default BibleWorks has encountered a severe error

Hi everyone,

Recently my BW10 would crash everytime I tried to attempt a search and this error dialogue would appear (see picture below). I've tried all the options in the error box, repairing, completely uninstalling/reinstalling, restoring to a previous version... no luck. This essentially renders BW10 useless for me.

My assumption is that this error began since I updated to Windows 10 version 1903, but I can't be 100% sure. I have a laptop with an older version of Windows10 and BW10 runs perfectly on that machine. Any help would be appreciated.

Name:  bibleworks severe error.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  126.0 KB

Thanks in advance,
    Sheldon

If you have not yet, try restoring to an earlier restore point/date in Windows 10.

If it works, I suggest you then try updating your BW10 to the most update version (ie 10.0.8.733) from your current version.

Quote Originally Posted by shalommatt View Post
    If you have not yet, try restoring to an earlier restore point/date in Windows 10.

If it works, I suggest you then try updating your BW10 to the most update version (ie 10.0.8.733) from your current version.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I was using the latest version (10.0.8.733) which also gave me the same error. The picture I posted above shows an earlier version because I tried to restore BW to an earlier version to see if it would fix anything.

I feel quite hesitant to restore windows to an earlier point as I don't want to have to use an older version of windows just so Bibleworks 10 can function. It would be a great tragedy if the only way to use BW10 in the years to come is to always have a computer with an older version of Windows... sadly it may come to that since they no longer release updates. I wish the BW team could have entrusted the software to a team of volunteers who might be willing to release compatibility updates every now and then, but that may just be wishful thinking.

I suggest downloading the ISO from the BW home page. Make a complete backup of your current BW folder. Close BW, disable antivirus programs, turn off any unnecessary services, and then reboot. Close all other programs. Use the ISO to uninstall BW. Reboot the system and use the ISO to make a new installation of BW. Reboot the system again and then update BW to the current version and then reboot the system a final time. Since you are having the crash when you search I would not even try searching or using BW at all except to update it until after the final reboot. Usually this fixes the problem.

I have helped a number of BW users since BW closed with similar problems. Sometimes even the procedure above did not work. What did work then was to uninstall BW using the ISO, then completely delete the BW folder and then search the registry and delete all entries that were part of the BW program. Then reboot the system again and install BW again with AV and unnecessary service off and all other programs closed.

One other thing that seemed to help at least once was to extract the ISO to a folder and run setup.exe from that folder. I would also run BWCheckDisc.exe first from that folder. That would confirm that the ISO was successfully downloaded and that the extraction was also successful.

Quote Originally Posted by now john View Post
    I suggest downloading the ISO from the BW home page. Make a complete backup of your current BW folder. Close BW, disable antivirus programs, turn off any unnecessary services, and then reboot. Close all other programs. Use the ISO to uninstall BW. Reboot the system and use the ISO to make a new installation of BW. Reboot the system again and then update BW to the current version and then reboot the system a final time. Since you are having the crash when you search I would not even try searching or using BW at all except to update it until after the final reboot. Usually this fixes the problem.

I have helped a number of BW users since BW closed with similar problems. Sometimes even the procedure above did not work. What did work then was to uninstall BW using the ISO, then completely delete the BW folder and then search the registry and delete all entries that were part of the BW program. Then reboot the system again and install BW again with AV and unnecessary service off and all other programs closed.

One other thing that seemed to help at least once was to extract the ISO to a folder and run setup.exe from that folder. I would also run BWCheckDisc.exe first from that folder. That would confirm that the ISO was successfully downloaded and that the extraction was also successful.
    Hey John I just wanted to extend my gratitude for your. I was able to get rid of the error and get BW10 up and running. Here are the steps I followed:

1. Uninstalled BW10 through the installer located on the ISO
    2. Reset
    3. Delete the BibleWorks10 folder entirely from C://Program Files (x86)
    4. Re-install BW with the latest ISO from the BW website
    5. Update Bibleworks

Prior to this I tried a lot of uninstalling/reinstalling to no avail. Deleting the BW10 folder was the missing ingredient. I did notice that when updating BW, there was a Windows 10 compatibility patch which might have also helped. Hope this helps anyone with a similar issue down the road.

-Sheldon

Quote Originally Posted by souldier View Post
    I was able to get rid of the error and get BW10 up and running.-Sheldon
    Glad you got it running.

Default BW10 started crashing after Windows 10 (1903) update

I have a similar issue to souldier. After Windows crammed its update onto me, BW started crashing whenever I moved my cursor over any entry in my custom x-ref database that references a version that is not the current display version, e.g., a x-ref entry for Luke 10:37 to an Apocryphal book in NRS when the display version is NAU.

My theoretical culprit: Windows 10 Home; version 1903; installed on 9/23/2019; OS build 18362.356.

So I figure that I will try the procedure that now john has described by which souldier achieved such felicitous results. This will hopefully save me from the more drastic solution I had been pursuing, i.e., to revert my system to the previous version of Windows 10, an ISO of which I had managed to trick Windows into allowing me to download (but that would require reloading all my programs and restoring all my backedup data--hopefully I will not have to do that if this BW10 reinstallation works).

I will report back here with my results. (A related theological query--can I ask for prayer regarding computer issues like this; or are computers merely physical and not contingent upon spiritual issues? Alternately, maybe we need to cast the Windows 10 demon entirely OUT--ha!)

With hope high like the ant vs. the rubber tree plant,
    James

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMace View Post
    I have a similar issue to souldier.
    My theoretical culprit: Windows 10 Home; version 1903; installed on 9/23/2019; OS build 18362.356.

So I figure that I will try the procedure that now john has described by which souldier achieved such felicitous results.

James
    Let me edit the steps.

Use the ISO from the BW home page. Use of a download manager is recommended.
    Verify that you have administrative rights.
    If you have enough storage space, backup the entire BW folder. If not, backup all user created and user changed files. These can be restored after BW is working properly.
    If you have enough storage space, extract the ISO to an internal drive. I use the free 7-Zip utility for this. Using BWCheckDisc.exe from the extracted BW folder, check the integrity of the extracted ISO.
    Delete all files in c:\users\[current user]\appdata\local\temp and c:\windows\temp.
    Uninstall BW10 using setup.exe from the (extracted) ISO. Use the Uninstall option.
    Delete the BibleWorks10 folder entirely.
    Reboot the computer.
    Turn off security software, especially antivirus software. Make sure that no other programs are running. Turn off unnecessary services. I do not turn off Windows Defender and have not heard of an instance where it interfered with a BW installation.
    Re-install BW using the (extracted) ISO.
    Update Bibleworks before using it for anything else and repeat until no more updates (that you want to install) are available. Make sure that you install all BW program updates, that is, updates to the executable file.
    Reboot the computer again.
    Turn on security software.

If that procedure does not work, repeat it with these additions. Some are drastic, but if the above doesn't work, something drastic may be what you need. If you do not have enough space to extract the ISO, get an external hard drive and extract the ISO to it. A 32 GB USB drive will work. After deleting the BibleWorks folder, reboot the computer and then delete all BibleWorks entries in the Windows registry. Reboot the computer again. The usual warning applies: Editing the Windows registry can be a dangerous procedure and you may need to reinstall Windows to fix a mistake.
    Also check: Knowledgebase article https://kb.bibleworks.com/index.php?...s-k1sNqQVSfT8~ (Article AA-03019) gives some additional details, as well as this thread: https://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?7262-BW-10-Installer-will-not-start

If these steps do not work, post back.
    Last edited by now john; 11-05-2019 at 12:33 AM.

Let me edit the steps. . . .
    Dear John of now john et al.,

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways . . . ." (Shakespeare). Thanks for making the newly detailed explanation of the reinstallation process.
    I successfully reinstalled BW10 into the 1903-updated Windows 10 without any trouble. Yet, alas, it did not help my trouble with my custom x-ref database's causing a crash of BW10. (I even had also deleted all BibleWorks entries in the Windows registry.)
    Does anyone know if I lost an allowed installation of BW10 by reinstalling it? (Are there only a certain number of installations allowed?)
    Or, if only a number are allowed, then did my uninstalling it using the ISO while online restore my first BW10 installation to my account's allowed number of installations?

Happily, though, I have learned enough to help anyone who might be having the same problem as mine.
    Since it did not help to reinstall BW10, that can be avoided.
    But I have achieved restored functionality (in all but Luke 10:27 re my doctoral thesis) of my BW10 custom x-ref by merely changing a setting:
    1) In the X-Refs tab, click "Options" to open dropdown window
    2) Hover cursor over "View" and then click "Select Bible version to use for displayed text"
    3) Select button for "Use the Bible version specified in the cross-reference database"; click "OK"
    This now allows a custom entry, e.g., to Psalms of Solomon in OPE, to know longer crash the program when it is overhovered, and the custom x-ref database now displays the texts of every entry, no matter to which book it may refer outside the Bible.
    (But I suppose there must be something uniquely wrong with Luke 10:27 in the x-ref database making it still crash BW10 when I attempt to access the verse's X-Refs tab using my custom x-ref database.)

So now all I have to do is somehow gain access to the Luke 10:27 entry of my custom x-ref file in order to remove whatever entry/-ies make(s) it cause BW10 to crash when I select it.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?
    Can an x-ref file from BW10 be opened in BW9? I was unable to do it in BW9 on my old Windows 7 laptop.
    Is there some way to open the x-ref file with another program to allow editing it?

If necessary, I will proceed to uninstall BW9 on my old laptop and install BW10 in hopes that I can edit the Luke 10:27 entry of my custom x-ref database in the old Windows 7 operating system (since the updated Windows 10 disallows it).

Thus I must also ask if there are a limited number of BW9 and BW10 installations allowed? Can I install BW10 on my next computer without uninstalling it from my old laptop? (Assuming that I can regain a future installation by uninstalling a previous installation--is that the case?)

Yours in the fellowship of BibleWorking brethren,
    James

I suggest downloading the ISO from the BW home page. Make a complete backup of your current BW folder. Close BW, disable antivirus programs, turn off any unnecessary services, and then reboot. Close all other programs. Use the ISO to uninstall BW. Reboot the system and use the ISO to make a new installation of BW. Reboot the system again and then update BW to the current version and then auto clicker word unscrambler jumble solver reboot the system a final time. Since you are having the crash when you search I would not even try searching or using BW at all except to update it until after the final reboot. Usually this fixes the problem.

My assumption is that this error began since I updated to Windows 10 version 1903, but I can't be 100% sure. I have a laptop with an older version of Windows10 and BW10 runs perfectly on that machine. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by GATYRA; 10-24-2019 at 09:26 PM.