Thread: BibleWorks has encountered a severe error

Default BibleWorks has encountered a severe error

Hi everyone,

Recently my BW10 would crash everytime I tried to attempt a search and this error dialogue would appear (see picture below). I've tried all the options in the error box, repairing, completely uninstalling/reinstalling, restoring to a previous version... no luck. This essentially renders BW10 useless for me.

My assumption is that this error began since I updated to Windows 10 version 1903, but I can't be 100% sure. I have a laptop with an older version of Windows10 and BW10 runs perfectly on that machine. Any help would be appreciated.

Name:  bibleworks severe error.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  126.0 KB

Thanks in advance,
    Sheldon

If you have not yet, try restoring to an earlier restore point/date in Windows 10.

If it works, I suggest you then try updating your BW10 to the most update version (ie 10.0.8.733) from your current version.

Quote Originally Posted by shalommatt View Post
    If you have not yet, try restoring to an earlier restore point/date in Windows 10.

If it works, I suggest you then try updating your BW10 to the most update version (ie 10.0.8.733) from your current version.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I was using the latest version (10.0.8.733) which also gave me the same error. The picture I posted above shows an earlier version because I tried to restore BW to an earlier version to see if it would fix anything.

I feel quite hesitant to restore windows to an earlier point as I don't want to have to use an older version of windows just so Bibleworks 10 can function. It would be a great tragedy if the only way to use BW10 in the years to come is to always have a computer with an older version of Windows... sadly it may come to that since they no longer release updates. I wish the BW team could have entrusted the software to a team of volunteers who might be willing to release compatibility updates every now and then, but that may just be wishful thinking.

I suggest downloading the ISO from the BW home page. Make a complete backup of your current BW folder. Close BW, disable antivirus programs, turn off any unnecessary services, and then reboot. Close all other programs. Use the ISO to uninstall BW. Reboot the system and use the ISO to make a new installation of BW. Reboot the system again and then update BW to the current version and then reboot the system a final time. Since you are having the crash when you search I would not even try searching or using BW at all except to update it until after the final reboot. Usually this fixes the problem.

I have helped a number of BW users since BW closed with similar problems. Sometimes even the procedure above did not work. What did work then was to uninstall BW using the ISO, then completely delete the BW folder and then search the registry and delete all entries that were part of the BW program. Then reboot the system again and install BW again with AV and unnecessary service off and all other programs closed.

One other thing that seemed to help at least once was to extract the ISO to a folder and run setup.exe from that folder. I would also run BWCheckDisc.exe first from that folder. That would confirm that the ISO was successfully downloaded and that the extraction was also successful.

Quote Originally Posted by now john View Post
    I suggest downloading the ISO from the BW home page. Make a complete backup of your current BW folder. Close BW, disable antivirus programs, turn off any unnecessary services, and then reboot. Close all other programs. Use the ISO to uninstall BW. Reboot the system and use the ISO to make a new installation of BW. Reboot the system again and then update BW to the current version and then reboot the system a final time. Since you are having the crash when you search I would not even try searching or using BW at all except to update it until after the final reboot. Usually this fixes the problem.

I have helped a number of BW users since BW closed with similar problems. Sometimes even the procedure above did not work. What did work then was to uninstall BW using the ISO, then completely delete the BW folder and then search the registry and delete all entries that were part of the BW program. Then reboot the system again and install BW again with AV and unnecessary service off and all other programs closed.

One other thing that seemed to help at least once was to extract the ISO to a folder and run setup.exe from that folder. I would also run BWCheckDisc.exe first from that folder. That would confirm that the ISO was successfully downloaded and that the extraction was also successful.
    Hey John I just wanted to extend my gratitude for your. I was able to get rid of the error and get BW10 up and running. Here are the steps I followed:

1. Uninstalled BW10 through the installer located on the ISO
    2. Reset
    3. Delete the BibleWorks10 folder entirely from C://Program Files (x86)
    4. Re-install BW with the latest ISO from the BW website
    5. Update Bibleworks

Prior to this I tried a lot of uninstalling/reinstalling to no avail. Deleting the BW10 folder was the missing ingredient. I did notice that when updating BW, there was a Windows 10 compatibility patch which might have also helped. Hope this helps anyone with a similar issue down the road.

-Sheldon

Quote Originally Posted by souldier View Post
    I was able to get rid of the error and get BW10 up and running.-Sheldon
    Glad you got it running.