Thread: Tov Parallel Hebrew/LXX window crashes

Default Tov Parallel Hebrew/LXX window crashes

For many months I have been crashing BibleWorks some of the times when I try to open the Tov Parallel Hebrew/LXX window. Arter a crash I can always open that module with no problem. The crashes occur when I have been working in my editor window/tab and switch back to the browse window, then click on the Tov icon. The crash occurs only after I have switched between the editor and browse windows numerous times (I do not know what the minimum would be, but it is more than 3 or 4). I have learned to save my editor before trying to open Tov, so I do not lose data. But the crash happens whether I save the editor file or not. I have also produced such a crash when I had the Synopsis Tool open. There seems to be some sort of syncing problem, that Tov does not know what verse to open up. But I have tried clicking on the browse window, changing verses on the browse window and then coming back to the verse I want, etc. Sometimes Tov opens. Sometimes it causes a crash. I have reported this to Michael Bushell, and he cannot replicate the crash. He suspects a code flaw in Tov, but I cannot find any smoking gun code similarities in the verses from which I have produced the crashes. So, he suggested that I alert you, and ask if anyone else has this problem. I get the same crash on both my Windows 10 an my Windows XP computers. Any ideas?
    Mark Eddy

Default Tov

Mark, or anyone who can reproduce the error, it might help if you could send me a video of crash. I know that is difficult since you can't predict when it will happen. I have messed around quite a bit and cannot reproduce. It may be as simple as what versions are in use or what tabs are active.
    Mike

Default Another source of Tov Parallel Hebrew/LXX crashes

This may be unrelated to Mark's problem, but every time I try to do a Tov-Polak search, using the Alignment Search Window, and entering or altering stuff in the LXX Analysis field, BW abends for me. Earlier, I was able to highlight the last two or three characters, and replace them with an asterisk to carry out my search, but now I can't even do that. I tried, via the configuration manager, a default .ini, and I tried restoring the previous .exec .

Would someone try to replicate my abend, please?
    Search version = WTT
    Current verse in Browse window is Gen 47:29
    Start Parallel Hebrew/LXX (via button on main toolbar, or Main Menu / Resources / Parallel Hebrew-LXX
    Select word 22 of Gen 47:29, by clicking in that row.
    Display Alignment Search Window (icon with just binoculars)
    Put cursor at end of word in the LXX Analysis input box, and backspace through the word. BW abends for me at this point.

I am using Windows7, BW 10.0.8.733, although the updater window called it 734.

Thanks,
    Jim

Jim,
    I followed your directions, and nothing bad happened, except that after I deleted all the Greek letters, when I typed them back in, they display in English/Latin letters, and the search produces no results. I have never tried to search this way before (I always used the Graphical Search Engine for cross version searches). So I don't know if this is a bug, or if it is the way it should work.
    Christ's,
    Mark Eddy

Default TOV Search bug

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    This may be unrelated to Mark's problem, but every time I try to do a Tov-Polak search, using the Alignment Search Window, and entering or altering stuff in the LXX Analysis field, BW abends for me. Earlier, I was able to highlight the last two or three characters, and replace them with an asterisk to carry out my search, but now I can't even do that. I tried, via the configuration manager, a default .ini, and I tried restoring the previous .exec .

Would someone try to replicate my abend, please?
    Search version = WTT
    Current verse in Browse window is Gen 47:29
    Start Parallel Hebrew/LXX (via button on main toolbar, or Main Menu / Resources / Parallel Hebrew-LXX
    Select word 22 of Gen 47:29, by clicking in that row.
    Display Alignment Search Window (icon with just binoculars)
    Put cursor at end of word in the LXX Analysis input box, and backspace through the word. BW abends for me at this point.

I am using Windows7, BW 10.0.8.733, although the updater window called it 734.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Jim,
    I found the problem and fixed it. The post should be up as usual.
    Unfortunately this will have no effect on Mark's TOV problem, which I still cannot reproduce.
    Mike

Thumbs up

Thanks Mike for all the added help!!!

It's VERY APPRECIATED!!

Gilbert

Default Wow, Thanks!

Mike,
    Thank you so much for the instantaneous fix!

I've been looking at the use of ἐλεημοσύνη (the word KJV knows as "alms") in LXX. When I did a Greek Lemma search in Tov-Polak, it didn't find some of the verses that a Lemma search on LXT did, so I used the Forms tab in BW10 to find where I should put the asterisk to catch all its forms when searching the Greek Analysis column of Tov-Polak (which contains the LXX text plus comments).
    This gave me all 13 occurrences in Sirach (Some of which I can now look at in the SIRT/SIRM Sirach in Hebrew version) as well as see Tov-Polak's parallels.
    It also gave me two cases in Dat (Theodotian Daniel).
    And four cases in Proverbs where Tov-Polak didn't find a Hebrew equivalent, but said "Equivalent reflected elsewhere in the text, for grammatical, stylistic, or exegetic reasons."

BW's Tov-Polak does not provide Hebrew or LXX lemmas in certain cases, including the ones noted above, so one has to search in the Greek Analysis column, or the Hebrew Analysis column, if you want to find the exceptions.
    It is a bit quirky in some ways, but is it ever powerful!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    Jim,
    I followed your directions, and nothing bad happened, except that after I deleted all the Greek letters, when I typed them back in, they display in English/Latin letters, and the search produces no results. I have never tried to search this way before (I always used the Graphical Search Engine for cross version searches). So I don't know if this is a bug, or if it is the way it should work.
    Christ's,
    Mark Eddy
    Mark, Thanks. I think that, given what you did, it gave the proper results. I had to read the Help on Tov-Polak searches very carefully, and look at the content of the Analysis columns for a while, to figure out how to get it to work. There are other short cuts, but the basic rule is to right click to set font to English, Greek, or Hebrew, and to provide special characters like wild cards and arrows.

--Jim