Thread: How to link a user-created Bible version to Louw & Nida's lexicon instead of Strongs?

Default How to link a user-created Bible version to Louw & Nida's lexicon instead of Strongs?

I've recently finished working with a team to tag the GNT with Louw & Nida's semantic domain numbers instead of Strong's numbers, and I'd like to figure out how to load this data into my BibleWorks program so that it links with the L&N lexicon entries in BibleWorks. I see documentation on how to link words to Strong's lexicon <#> and documentation on how to link words to Bible references <link b=*>, but I have searched in vain for documentation on how to link to other resources in the BibleWorks software (such as the Louw & Nida lexicon, in this case). It must be possible because the resource window links to all kinds of different resources. Can you enlighten me on the code to use?

Thanks!

~Nate Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by NateWilson View Post
    I've recently finished working with a team to tag the GNT with Louw & Nida's semantic domain numbers instead of Strong's numbers, and I'd like to figure out how to load this data into my BibleWorks program so that it links with the L&N lexicon entries in BibleWorks. I see documentation on how to link words to Strong's lexicon <#> and documentation on how to link words to Bible references <link b=*>, but I have searched in vain for documentation on how to link to other resources in the BibleWorks software (such as the Louw & Nida lexicon, in this case). It must be possible because the resource window links to all kinds of different resources. Can you enlighten me on the code to use?
    I'm not sure what you want to do.
    Is the user-created Bible Version to be a Greek version or English (or other modern language) version?
    Where do you want the L&N information to be displayed? In the Analysis tab of the Analysis Window? In the Resources tab of the Analysis Window? In the Vs1 or Vs2 tab of the Analysis Window?

I think if you want stuff to show up in the Resources or Vs1,Vs2 tabs you have to create a widows help file (something I don't know how to do) -- but I think that for user-created resources you can only link to verses, not to an individual word within a verse.

It is possible to display the LN codes within the text of your user-created version, whether Greek or English, but it would then be up to the reader to look up the LN code in the LN lexicon. (If you add the display codes to a copy of an existing BW version, like BNT, you can then use the Resources tab to open LN to the LN entry for that Greek lemma. If you add it to another language version, the navigation would be manual.)

If you are interested in this Browse window approach, give me more information about what you want to do, and I'll be happy to describe in more detail how to implement it.

--Jim

P.S. If you want to be able to search on a specific LN code it would have to be a version not tied to a morphological version, so the Resource tab linkage would not work.
    Last edited by Jim Wert; 04-17-2019 at 01:48 PM. Reason: add P.S.

Default Further definition of Louw & Nida tagged GNT developed by user

Thanks for getting back on this, Jim!
    What I was envisioning was an edition of the Greek NT that could display alongside the other Bible versions in the center browse panel of the screen, and each word in that new edition of the GNT could be clicked on and would open up a window with the specific Louw & Nida semantic domain entry for that word. For instance, say the browse window is set to Hebrews 8:10: I want to be able to click on the first word ὅτι and see the Lexicon window open up and jump to Louw & Nida semantic domain number 91:15 (which is the number our team assigned to that word in that verse). The idea is to move toward a more precise numbering system than Strong's numbers, in this case, narrowing down which of the three entries Louw & Nida has for ὅτι. Our team's work is being added to the next version of ParaText, I'm told, but I don't have Paratext, so I'm trying to use the fruit of my labor in the BibleWorks program, which is what I use for preparing Bible teaching. It seems to me that if BibleWorks can jump to entries in Strong's lexicon with Strong's numbers in pointed braces, surely it could be programmed to jump to semantic domain entries in Louw & Nida's lexicon, but I've tried a few ideas like <ln 91:15> or <link ln="91.15"> and haven't hit upon code that works. Currently I have the numbers in brackets {91.15} displayed with the NT text in the browse panel and am manually scrolling through the Louw & Nida lexicon window to find the semantic domain numbers referenced.

Quote Originally Posted by NateWilson View Post
    Currently I have the numbers in brackets {91.15} displayed with the NT text in the browse panel and am manually scrolling through the Louw & Nida lexicon window to find the semantic domain numbers referenced.
    Hi Nate,
    I take this to mean you have put the LN numbers in an English version, using "Embedded Notes", since I couldn't get curly brackets into a Greek version. I will describe what I tried, which might be useful for you. This was a "quick and dirty" test, there may well be better ways to do it, but this worked for me, on one verse, with one LN number.
    1. I exported 1 verse (Heb 8:10) from BNT, in CCAT format. (Main Menu / Tools /Importing/Exporting Information / Export Database.)
    2. I modified that exported file so that the beginning of the record looked like this: "Heb 8:10 o(/ti<N91#15> au(/th "
    (I was not able to get a period to display; the # displays as a colon.)
    3. I used the BW version compiler to create version MYBNT, with content "NT Only", Language "Greek", Font "Default", Morph Coding "None", Companion "BNM", selected "Input in CCAT Format", Notes "End Notes", and checked "Has Superscripts". (Setting Companion to the companion Morph version of the text version I exported enabled the word pop-ups and word Resource Tab linkage.)

To get the following, I moved my mouse over the first word ὅτι to bring up the Resource Tab stuff you see. The Resource Tab does give you the different LN numbers for your word, with a gloss. Wanting the full entry, I then clicked on the top line under Louw-Nida to bring up the LN display you see. To get to 91.15 you have to click on the (c) line of the middle left section of the Louw-Nida Lexicon window.

Seems to me this might be better than having to navigate manually the whole way.

I should point out that my MYBNT does behave a bit erratically. In single-version browse the pop-ups, and Resource Tab links, are random. In multiple version browse (as illustrated) they are correct. I don't know what else might happen, especially if the whole NT were to be compiled this way.

--Jim

Name:  LN2.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  554.9 KB

Default Thanks!

Thank you, Jim!
    That sets me forward on a couple of fronts.
    Blessings,
    ~Nate Wilson

I have been away from the forum for a while, but perhaps I could add a bit to this discussion. Strongs numbers are imbeded (in BibleWorks) to non-Greek versions. In BibleWorks for any Greek version which has a morphology version, all you have to do to get the Louw-Nida definition is to have that lexicon active in the Analysis window. When you put your cursor over any Greek word, the L-N entry will show up. There is no need for any further coding. BibleWorks contains a Greek alias file which (in theory) allows every Greek lemma to be linked to the L-N lexicon, even if the exact lemma is spelled differently. If you wanted to make a non-morphology version have codes for L-N (rather than Strongs), I think the programmer would have to make some changes to the program. It is currently not set up to do this, because within BibleWorks such a function is unnecessary.
    Mark Eddy