Thread: user databases do not match

Default user databases do not match

Hello, I created my own version, but used the NAU vmf file, which I just renamed ron.vmf. However, when I bring up certain verses, they are not quite right. I will attach a screen shot to show what I mean. If someone could explain how to fix this so my version matches the verses of the NAU, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ron Snider,
    Pastor-teacher, Makarios Bible Church

Quote Originally Posted by ronsnider View Post
    Hello, I created my own version, but used the NAU vmf file, which I just renamed ron.vmf. However, when I bring up certain verses, they are not quite right. I will attach a screen shot to show what I mean. If someone could explain how to fix this so my version matches the verses of the NAU, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Hi Ron,
    An authoritative answer would have to come from Mark Eddy, who is the BW master of mapping.
    My understanding is this: because NAU has the boundary between Eph 2:14 and 15 in a different place than does GNT, which is the base version for NT verse mapping, the verse mapping for NAU says that when NAU is your search version, you need to see both verses in other versions to make sure that you get everything you want. Verse maps are not applied to the search version in browse, but are applied to all the other versions in your browse window. The easiest way to get RON and NAU to display the same: make some version other than NAU or RON your search version, and the verse mapping will be applied equally to NAU and RON. (You will in this case, always see Eph 2:14 & 15 displayed together). Any other solution (disabling verse mapping for NAU and RON, or tinkering with the verse maps for them) would cause other problems.

Hope this is useful for you.
    --Jim

I have been away from the forum for longer than I thought! I just saw this today. Jim has a good answer. All Bibles in BibleWorks are "mapped" to the original language version (except in a few instances, such as Greek additions in Daniel and Esther). The maps assure that every word in the translations displays with the verse in original Greek or Hebrew in which it occurs. In Eph. 2:14-15 the Greek words underlying the translation "by abolishing in His flesh the enmity" occur in verse 14, but in NAU (and your RON) they occur in verse 15. So, as Jim intimated, if you make a Greek version your search version, NAU and RON (and hopefully all other translations) will include all the translations of the last part of the Greek verse 14 when that verse is displayed. But, as Jim said, the search version always displays only the one verse on which you search, even if that does not translate the whole verse in the original Greek or Hebrew.
    I hope this belated help will reassure you a bit that you didn't do anything wrong. Just beware that your RON translation may not divide verses exactly where NAU does (especially if you were looking at the Greek verse divisions as your made your translation), so you may need to adjust your ron.vmf file. It is fully user-editable. Information on how to do this in in Help chapter 66.
    Mark Eddy