Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BW10 Crash

A fix would be nice. It is getting frustrating. Just now I was using several tabs in the Browse widow as I was working through a passage.I had the Lex. & Dict. Window open and the parallel Heb. & LXXwidow opened. I ran a Hebrew – LXX search. I opened another tab in the browse window and went to move the Parallel window out of my way when BW crashed. BW 10.0.8.667 had been crashing so I tried going back up to 710. BWcrashes in both versions and often at a wrong time. It does not seem to crash if there are no extra BW windows open.
    Charlie

about and hour later - it just did it again - go back and get all set up again
    Last edited by Chas; 05-17-2019 at 08:36 PM.

Default Crash

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    A fix would be nice. It is getting frustrating. Just now I was using several tabs in the Browse widow as I was working through a passage.I had the Lex. & Dict. Window open and the parallel Heb. & LXXwidow opened. I ran a Hebrew Ė LXX search. I opened another tab in the browse window and went to move the Parallel window out of my way when BW crashed. BW 10.0.8.667 had been crashing so I tried going back up to 710. BWcrashes in both versions and often at a wrong time. It does not seem to crash if there are no extra BW windows open.
    Charlie

about and hour later - it just did it again - go back and get all set up again
    If someone can provide me with a series of minimal steps that can produce the crash, I can try to fix it. Send me your bw1000.ini file and if you are able a video of the crash, by private message. If you cannot send a video a screen capture would be nice. I also need to know if you got a BW crash report when you restarted BW.

Mike

Thanks! I will not be able to respond until Tues. I will trythen. It does not follow certain steps and it happens sporadically. I will try to bring a somewhat logical and definable scenario. In the last update I did down load both of them. That may be where the corruption happened.

Charlie

Default Bible Works 10 starts to open but freezes or stops after 2019 Windows Update

Hi anyone else out there who can't use/open Bibleworks 10 after the latest Windows update (May/June 2019?) Any help or fixes out there? I've tried the shift hold while opening the program and tried all three options there, I've tried all three options under the reconfigure program (modify, repair, and remove) - what concerns me the most is that with a total removal and reinstallation - I have the same thing - the program never starts up. Is this a problem with Bibleworks 10 or Windows 10 Update or both? Any greater wisdom out there - I've used this program almost every day for the last twenty years in my pastoral preparation and appreciate anyone who can get me back up and running (studying. Blessings, claird

How about uninstalling that May 2019 update and go back to previous version? I would suggest this, even if you value having the latest version of Windows 10 more than having a working BW10. If this works, then you know you have the option of either having Win10 1903 installed or having BW10 working. If having 1903 more important, then you can do the upgrade again.

As for myself, I too use BW almost on a daily basis. I just cannot let anything to mess up BW. So, I have set the Windows setting to postpone significant update for the max of 365 days. This should minimize Microsoft's own bugs within an semi annual update.

I’m not sure what Win 10, 1903 is? I’m using Win 10 pro 1809. I sent Mr. Bushell the file he wanted. He has put in a lot of time and work into this problem. My file seems to work fine for him. After sending in my file BW10 worked fine for about a week. It started acting up again after I had multiple programs open and my memory use was at about 55%. I also had a couple BW10 floating windows open. Since then the crashes have returned but not as bad as before.

Anyway I want to thank Mr. Bushell for his continued concern and work. I will pass onhis suggestions. I also have to confess I have not made this a matter of prayer. Unfortunately we all know the pattern: try and fix the problem and then pray.

Here was his suggestion for my situation:

If you have the time and patience you could try completely uninstalling BW. Then rename the BW directory to preserve any files that you have added and reinstall.Then slowly add things over time in the hope of finding what is causing the problem. You might also run diagnostics on your hard drive to make sure there are no problems. Same with your memory. Also try running with anti-virus disabled. Some anti-virus apps can falsely identify files are containg a virusand remove them. There are unfortunately a lot of things that can causespurious crashes. I have also seen cases where a database has formatting errors which can cause a crash only when that particular section is accessed. The same can be true of user-created Bible versions. If you have any of those you cantry disabling them. To do that all you have to do is move the associate *.dbu file to another folder and restart BW.

I will keep looking but for now I am at a loss.

Mike

Last edited by Chas; 06-06-2019 at 03:43 PM.

Default Crash

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Iím not sure what Win 10, 1903 is? Iím using Win 10 pro 1809. I sent Mr. Bushell the file he wanted. He has put in a lot of time and work into this problem. My file seems to work fine for him. After sending in my file BW10 worked fine for about a week. It started acting up again after I had multiple programs open and my memory use was at about 55%. I also had a couple BW10 floating windows open. Since then the crashes have returned but not as bad as before.

Anyway I want to thank Mr. Bushell for his continued concern and work. I will pass onhis suggestions. I also have to confess I have not made this a matter of prayer. Unfortunately we all know the pattern: try and fix the problem and then pray.

Here was his suggestion for my situation:

If you have the time and patience you could try completely uninstalling BW. Then rename the BW directory to preserve any files that you have added and reinstall.Then slowly add things over time in the hope of finding what is causing the problem. You might also run diagnostics on your hard drive to make sure there are no problems. Same with your memory. Also try running with anti-virus disabled. Some anti-virus apps can falsely identify files are containg a virusand remove them. There are unfortunately a lot of things that can causespurious crashes. I have also seen cases where a database has formatting errors which can cause a crash only when that particular section is accessed. The same can be true of user-created Bible versions. If you have any of those you cantry disabling them. To do that all you have to do is move the associate *.dbu file to another folder and restart BW.

I will keep looking but for now I am at a loss.

Mike

One thing that would be helpful is to send me a screen snapshot immediately after the crash. This will allow me to see what is open and what verses are being accessed.
    Mike

Default Able to get BW10 back up and running after May 2019 (1903) update

Thanks to all who responded - was down two weeks after BW10 suddenly would hang in opening window after Windows May 2019 update (1903). I tried the "modify" I tried the "remove" I tried the "repair" I tried the three options when you press shift and then hit the bw10 program. I even uninstalled all the windows updates and security patches. But today after reading about deleting the .init files I happened to look in my file explorer and noticed that after "remove" (using BW10 program to remove itself) there were still old files from my previous install. I simply manually deleted the Bibleworks 10 file under the Program Files (x86) and when I reinstalled everything worked as usual. Simple fix after huge headache. I appreciated someone on the forum who said - did you pray before or after trying to fix your problem. PTL! - Chad Also - All running fine with latest windows update and patches - don't know why it originally stopped working but glad to be up and running so make sure you manually delete all files from previous installation after using "remove" program (this pc/windows/program files(x86)/Bibleworks 10)

Quote Originally Posted by shalommatt View Post
    How about uninstalling that May 2019 update and go back to previous version? I would suggest this, even if you value having the latest version of Windows 10 more than having a working BW10. If this works, then you know you have the option of either having Win10 1903 installed or having BW10 working. If having 1903 more important, then you can do the upgrade again.

As for myself, I too use BW almost on a daily basis. I just cannot let anything to mess up BW. So, I have set the Windows setting to postpone significant update for the max of 365 days. This should minimize Microsoft's own bugs within an semi annual update.
    Last edited by claird; 06-13-2019 at 05:58 PM.