Thread: Excel list of number of words in each verse of the Bible?

Default Excel list of number of words in each verse of the Bible?

Is there a workable way in BibleWorks to export to Excel a list of the total number of words in each verse of the Bible for a particular version?

Quote Originally Posted by rgandhi View Post
    Is there a workable way in BibleWorks to export to Excel a list of the total number of words in each verse of the Bible for a particular version?
    I don't know Excel well enough to say yes or no, but BW will produce a list/file with one line/record per verse in this format: BookName space chapter colon verse asterisk WordCount

Example from NRS:
    Gen. 1:9*25
    Gen. 1:10*23

One way to do it (some of the steps can be accessed various ways):
    1. Set your "Copy Verse List (no Text)" options.
    One way to do this is: right click in the Search Window, results section, and select Copy Format Options/for Verse List (no Text)"
    On the Options Window select where to copy the verse list (Clipboard, Microsoft Word, etc.).
    Under "Output Format Options" check "Add a new line after each reference", and uncheck the 3 boxes immediately under that option.
    If you are not satisfied with the default book names, look at BW Help / 66 Setup Options / Book Names. The "Export" column is what BW uses when copying verse list.
    1a. Make sure that number of hits (when greater than one) displays for each verse in the search results. If it doesn't:
    Main Menu / Tools / Options ... / General / Flags / Command Line Search Options / make sure that "Add multiple hits parameter to Search Window verse list." is checked.
    2. Chose your search version
    3. On the command line key .?* but do not press enter. (If you press enter it will take a very long time for your query to run)
    4. Under the command line press the "Tools" button, and select "Graphical Search Engine" (the first item in the list). A Query window will display, with the query from the Command Line already created. Click on the "go" button at the top of the Query window. The search window will now display a list of all the verses in your version.
    5. Right click in the Search Window results area, and select "Copy Verse List (no Text)". This will copy the verse list to the destination you selected in point 1. above.

It looks a bit complicated, but once you have it set up you can run it on any version you want to.
    Note that if you do this with WTT/WTM you will get larger numbers for WTM, because it counts lemmas as words.

--Jim
    Last edited by Jim Wert; 03-15-2019 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Added 1a.

Default Thanks!

Thanks, much, Jim! I got this to work and was able to paste the list into Excel. I have done lots of work with Excel Macros in Visual Basic so I can generate the things I want to from this raw data. I really appreciate your help!

Rajesh

I'm glad it did what you wanted.

My first reaction to your question was that no, that is not the kind of thing BibleWorks was designed to do. It was fun to tinker with BW a bit and discover that yes, it can be coaxed into doing that.

Two things that helped made it work, that I don't think are documented in BW Help, but that I've picked up from the forums over the years are:
    1. Usually the search ".*" will pick up all words, but in some cases ".?*" works better (any character, "?", followed by 0 or more characters, "*"). In this case, ".*" picked up all the words, but didn't display the hit counts for each verse. For some reason adding the "?" enabled the hit count to display at the verse level.
    2. The GSE (Graphical Search Engine) was, I think, designed to allow more complex queries than can be entered on the Command Line. But there are some searches that can be entered on the Command Line that run very much faster as GSE (Graphical Search Engine) searches. This appears to be one of those cases. If this search is run from the command line it runs very slowly, even though it appears to be a very simple query.

--Jim

Jim, your first reaction was mine too, so I'm glad you persisted and came up with this remarkably simple solution. Who would have thought? ... Well, you would have, evidently!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia