Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Lexicons not all working

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4

    Default Lexicons not all working

    Hello,

    I paid for the BW 10 upgrade before BW closed in June. When I returned to the US on furlough in the fall, I upgraded my Mac with BW 10. My lexicons show activated but when I click on a Greek word, for instance, all that appears is Friberg. When I look at the analysis window however it shows that all my lexicons are activated including BDAG and HALO but they don't appear when I send my word to lexicon browser. I'm now back in Central America and I'm afraid to download BW 10 again because the internet connection is not great.
    What am I doing wrong? Why am I only showing friberg? Thanks for any help you can give.

    Leslie

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lesliemc View Post
    Hello,

    I paid for the BW 10 upgrade before BW closed in June. When I returned to the US on furlough in the fall, I upgraded my Mac with BW 10. My lexicons show activated but when I click on a Greek word, for instance, all that appears is Friberg. When I look at the analysis window however it shows that all my lexicons are activated including BDAG and HALO but they don't appear when I send my word to lexicon browser. I'm now back in Central America and I'm afraid to download BW 10 again because the internet connection is not great.
    What am I doing wrong? Why am I only showing friberg? Thanks for any help you can give.

    Leslie
    . (But F1 doesn't work on a Mac is there any. other shortcut for a Mac please?)

    I found this online and figured it out, exactly what I was experiencing.


    From a forum member back in 2017:

    I am not sure of the setting, but in BW 9, when I hovered over a Greek word in the GNT or BGT, the lexicon entry for a variety of lexicons showed up in the Analysis window. For some reason now all I can get is Friberg, Gingrich, and Danker. I especially want BDAG.

    In Hebrew, I only get one (Holliday). Can I add more, or even change it to a different one (HALOT)?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Jim Wert
    04-15-2017, 10:29 PM

    This is one of the nice tweaks for BW10. For a fuller description, with illustration, click in the Analysis Tab of the Analysis Window and press F1.

    To set lexicons, right click in the Analysis Tab of the Analysis Window. Select "Default Analysis Window Greek Lexicons" (or the Hebrew equivalent right below it). This brings up a list of the lexicons you have installed. Double click to check or uncheck the one(s) you want to display (or not display), and use the Up and Down buttons at the top to change the order in which they display. Then click on OK to make your choices effective.

    If lexicons that that you have purchased (like BDAG & HALOT), or have had in earlier versions of BW (like TWOT), don't show up, you may not have activated them when you installed BW10.

    --Jim



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lesliemc View Post
    . (But F1 doesn't work on a Mac is there any. other shortcut for a Mac please?)
    Do you mean that there isn't an F1 key?
    Or do you mean that when you press the F1 key it does not work in BibleWorks?
    Does it work in other programs?
    On some keyboards there is also an Fn key that must be pressed and held down and then the F1 key pressed. That would then cause the help file in BW to open.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lesliemc View Post
    My lexicons show activated but when I click on a Greek word, for instance, all that appears is Friberg. When I look at the analysis window however it shows that all my lexicons are activated including BDAG and HALO but they don't appear when I send my word to lexicon browser.
    What am I doing wrong? Why am I only showing friberg? Thanks for any help you can give.
    Leslie
    I'm not sure what your actual problem is, so I'll address two possibilities.
    1. If F1 doesn't work for you, the same help is available (I assume for Mac the Main Menu works the same as for Windows) this way: Main Menu / Help / BibleWorks Help Contents / click on Contents tab at top of left pane of help window / select Section "14 AW - The Word Analysis Tab". The second heading is "The Word Analysis Context Menu". About the 7th and 8th bullets under this heading are "Default Analysis Window Greek Lexicon" and "Default Analysis Window Hebrew Lexicon". These describe how to select and arrange the lexicons that display in the Analysis window when you mouse over a Greek or Hebrew word in the Browse window.

    2. "When I look at the analysis window however it shows that all my lexicons are activated including BDAG and HALO" Do you mean analysis window, or were you looking at the Activation Manager window?
    "but they don't appear when I send my word to lexicon browser." Do you mean the Lexicon Browser, which is a free-floating window, or the (word) Analysis tab of the Analysis window? To get the Lexicon Browser window you normally right click on a word, and then select from the context menu "Lookup Lemma in Lexicon Browser". This will display the lexicon entry in the lexicon you last used. The Lexicon Browser allows you to switch lexicons by clicking on "Lexicons" menu item at top left of window.

    Another way to open the Lexicon Browser to the word/lexicon of you choice is to have the "Resources" tab open in the Analysis window. If your Lexicons are enabled (see help section 15 Analysis Window - The Resource Tab) when you mouse over a word the various lexicon entries will show up there, and clicking on the entry you want will display it in the Lexicon Browser.

    I hope this is more helpful than confusing.

    --Jim

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by now john View Post
    Do you mean that there isn't an F1 key?
    Or do you mean that when you press the F1 key it does not work in BibleWorks?
    Does it work in other programs?
    On some keyboards there is also an Fn key that must be pressed and held down and then the F1 key pressed. That would then cause the help file in BW to open.
    Thank you, Jim. Yes, I meant that when I press the F1 key on my MacBook that it doesn't open the BW window that you (or another Jim) had suggested to that other gentleman who posted a similar question last year. He had the same problem that I was having. I am able to use all my lexicons now though. I didn't realize how much BW 10 had changed in comparison to BW 9. I followed the instructions, as I posted previously. I'll try the FN key and see if that works, but I found an alternate way to make sure the lexicons were all working. Thank you again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •