Thread: Changing Note content on mouse move in browse window

Default Changing Note content on mouse move in browse window

When I move the mouse over the browse window, the selected verse for personal verse notes changes to whatever verse the mouse happens to be pointing at. Is there a way to stop that? I would prefer that the Note tab changes only when I click on a verse in the browse window. As it is, it is very easy to unintentionally change verses while moving the mouse from the browse window to the Notes tab, causing my note to be inserted on the wrong verse.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlMorton View Post
    When I move the mouse over the browse window, the selected verse for personal verse notes changes to whatever verse the mouse happens to be pointing at. Is there a way to stop that? I would prefer that the Note tab changes only when I click on a verse in the browse window. As it is, it is very easy to unintentionally change verses while moving the mouse from the browse window to the Notes tab, causing my note to be inserted on the wrong verse.
    By default, moving the mouse in the browse window will trigger changes in all of the Analysis Windows. If you usually want this behaviour (Word Analysis info, or Resources tab to change when you mouse over a different Greek or Hebrew word), hold down the shift key while you move your mouse, and the Analysis Windows will not change.

Alternatively, if you usually want the Analysis Windows to stay the same (including the Notes tab), you can switch this behaviour, so that the content changes only when you hold down the shift key while moving the mouse. To do this, with the "Analysis" tab displayed in the Analysis Window, right click in the Analysis tab display area. In the context menu that displays, click on "Update Only When Shift Key Depressed" Note that this affects the behaviour of the mouse for almost all of the Analysis Window tabs (the Agnt tab is the only exception that I am aware of).

I usually have this set to "Update Only When Shift Key Depressed".

-Jim
    Last edited by Jim Wert; 01-02-2019 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Clarification

Default a bug?

Quote Originally Posted by EarlMorton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    ... if you usually want the Analysis Windows to stay the same (including the Notes tab), you can switch this behaviour, so that the content changes only when you hold down the shift key while moving the mouse. To do this, with the "Analysis" tab displayed in the Analysis Window, right click in the Analysis tab display area. In the context menu that displays, click on "Update Only When Shift Key Depressed" Note that this affects the behaviour of the mouse for almost all of the Analysis Window tabs (the Agnt tab is the only exception that I am aware of).

I usually have this set to "Update Only When Shift Key Depressed".

-Jim
    I also use the "Update Only When Shift Key Depressed" option. When the Browse window is in multi-version (single-verse) mode everything works as expected. But when the Browse window is in single version (multi-verse) I experience the same problem that Earl describes. I have attached a screen shot showing the problem. The red rectangles show the initial setting, the blue shows the cursor after moving the mouse (no shift key depressed) and the different verse and the change made in the editor.

The note for Mat 1:1 is mat 1 1. The note for Mat 1:2 is mat 1 2. I made Mat 1:1 the active verse as the Browse window shows. I moved the mouse without the shift key being depressed. The Browse window remains the same at Mat 1:1. Mat\1_1.bww also shows in the file path above the notes editor toolbar. But Mat 1:2 is displayed in the notes editor window and in the file path below the editor window. I typed "problem" after mat 1 2. It was saved there. That seems to be the same problem that Earl is having.

I don't think there is a setting to change this unchecking Autoload would help. The check box is located to the right of the path name that is above the notes editor toolbar. That exposed a second problem that I experienced on all three of BW10 installations. The Load button to the right of "Autoload" does not work. Clicking it does not load the active verse note into the editor window. If Autoload is not checked and the Load button does not work, I don't know how to load a verse note for a different verse.

One work-around would be to view verses in the Browse window in single verse mode.

A second would be to use the mouse wheel and scroll so that the Browse window has the desired verse at the top and the verse in each of the two notes paths in the editor window were the same. Sometimes to do that I also had to depress the shift key and move the mouse slightly over the top verse in the Browse window. After that move the mouse up so that the verse below is not accidentally activated and then move the mouse to the editor window without re-entering the browse window. It would be safest to double check that all was still well.

That seems like a lot of extra work. But if it became a habit, that would make it easier. If the content does get lost because of this problem it would be in a nearby verse. Check "Autoload" and move the mouse in the Browse window over the nearby verses and watch the notes editor and find the content and then copy and paste it into the correct verse.

John

Name:  changing notes problem edited.png
Views: 49
Size:  184.2 KB
    Last edited by now john; 01-03-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Default Autoload off, and the Load button

EarlMorton, I think the best solution for you is to turn Autoload off, and depend on the Load button to choose/open the verse notes file for the current verse. One possible downside is that this way you can only add or display notes to the verse that is at the top of the browse window.

On my installation of BW10, with "Autoload" off, the "Load" button in the Notes tab works to load the note for the current verse (the one named in the header of the Browse window) if it already exists. If it doesn't yet exist, it positions the Notes facility properly, and any text I enter is saved when I press load for another verse. (Or one can click on the "Save document" button of the editor, or cntl s, to make sure).
    The filename at the bottom of the Notes tab seems to be the actual one; the one at the top of the tab seems to be updated erratically.

Scrolling to change the current verse worked for me in all three modes: scrolling with mouse, clicking on the verse-change arrows at the top of the browse scroll bar, and using the up and down arrows on the keyboard. (For the keyboard arrows to scroll by verse rather than by line, you have to set your scroll mode. BW10 help, 12 The Browse window, Browse Window Scrolling Shortcuts tell how to set it up.) Of course, you can always set the current verse by entering the verse reference on the Command Line and hitting enter. (Depending on what the current verse is, you may need to enter, for example, "Luk 1 11" or "1 11" or "11")

Note that, regardless of what your Autoload setting is, BW will always tell you whether a note exists for the current verse. The notes tab "tab" (the little stickup part that says "Notes" that you click on to activate the Notes tab) will have a lower case "v" if there is a verse note for the current verse, a lower case "c" if there is a note for the chapter, and "cv" if both exist for the current verse and chapter. This is true even if the Notes tab is not open. (The same information is available in "The Main Status Bar" at the bottom of the main BW window if your installation is configured to display it. I don't know what the default configuration is.)

Thanks, John, for your thorough investigation. For my previous post I stopped too soon. I don't often use verse/chapter notes, and I don't usually use single-version browse (if I want to see multiple verses I usually use the Parallel Versions window). I agree that there is a bug, because the "Update Only When Shift Key Depressed" should work for both multi-version browse and single-version browse.

--Jim