Thread: BW broken

Default BW broken

Despite being a new install on a new SSD, my BW started crashing repeatedly. So I did a repair installation, and now it won't start at all.

I get the message "BibleWorks needs to reinstall the BWcyrl font. This operation requires a reboot of your computer." And so forth. I reboot. Then it says it needs to reinstall a Greek font (BwGrki), and reboot. I reboot. Then (I think) it went back to the original popup.

So I did another repair, and I'm back to the Bwcyrl popup. I did not even install the Russian version, if that matters.

I need BW to work. Suggestions? I hope I don't have to uninstall and reinstall, again, already. Today I don't have the time -- but I need BW.

Addendum: I tried "Recover executable" -- twice. Keep getting the same errors.

Then virtually on a whim, I selected "Troubleshooting." BW started up. I'll just use it, gratefully, but the problem isn't fixed.

PLUS now I'm getting "Unable to create font" on BWHebb fonts. Then it crashes again. Yikes; BW can't be broken!
    Last edited by Dan Phillips; 12-30-2018 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Phillips View Post
    Despite being a new install on a new SSD, my BW started crashing repeatedly. So I did a repair installation, and now it won't start at all.

I get the message "BibleWorks needs to reinstall the BWcyrl font. This operation requires a reboot of your computer." And so forth. I reboot. Then it says it needs to reinstall a Greek font (BwGrki), and reboot. I reboot. Then (I think) it went back to the original popup.

So I did another repair, and I'm back to the Bwcyrl popup. I did not even install the Russian version, if that matters.

I need BW to work. Suggestions? I hope I don't have to uninstall and reinstall, again, already. Today I don't have the time -- but I need BW.

Addendum: I tried "Recover executable" -- twice. Keep getting the same errors.

Then virtually on a whim, I selected "Troubleshooting." BW started up. I'll just use it, gratefully, but the problem isn't fixed.

PLUS now I'm getting "Unable to create font" on BWHebb fonts. Then it crashes again. Yikes; BW can't be broken!
    What operating system is on the computer? Windows, Mac, or something else? Is it 32 bit or 64 bit?

Are you using the ISO from https://www.bibleworks.com/? Is this the link that you used to download the iso: https://drive.google.com/open?id=13F...ntmG8jfcRxU2ha

If the system is a Mac which dmg file did you download and use for the installation? The BibleWorks 10 Mac Installer 10-44 (dmg file) or BibleWorks 10 64-bit Mac Installer (dmg file)?

Please answer each question even if it seems to ask the same question again.

Do you still have the old drive with a working installation of BW on it? If so, keep it for a while.

When you did the installation on the SSD, where was the ISO? On the SSD or on an external drive or somewhere else? Did you mount the ISO to make the installation?

Please post back with the answers.

Another avenue to check: BibleWorks fonts are not only supposed to be installed in the BibleWorks 10 main folder, but (if you have Windows) they need to be installed also in the Windows Fonts folder. I would simply make sure all the fonts are installed in both places, even if you never intend to use Cyrilic databases. You may never know what Bible Dictionary or other database may contain a Russian word here or there.
    Mark Eddy

Thank you, Mark. It's a Windows 10, 64-bit. I had DLed the file from the BW main page, and installed from that (and also repaired from the folder it created).

I received directions to delete the BW fonts from the Windows folder then reinstall them from the BW folder. I did that, and it has initially worked.

This morning, I'll test-drive it more thoroughly and see if I've got a lasting fix.

Again, thanks for responding.

Default Update

Welp, the error messages are gone and it functions. That's the good news.

The bad is that it's back to crashing frequently. It seems to be mostly when I'm working in User Lexicon. Despite several repairs. So I've had to take to frequent Ctrl + S so I don't lose everything I'm working on.

If there are formatting problems in the database in your user lexicon that can crash BibleWorks. I have produced crashes by other user databases. Sometimes I had to edit them as a text file outside of BibleWorks to remove the errors. Once I fixed them, I could open them with BibleWorks without crashes. This may give you a hint as to what to look for.
    Mark Eddy