Thread: Search based on Greek ROOT

Default Search based on Greek ROOT

Greetings,
    In my old version of BW, I could search based on the root of the Greek word. Now, I seemingly can only do that based on the form.
    But I assume it is just me and that the program can still do that.
    Thank you for your help.
    Tom Trouwborst

The term "root" can be used in several ways in discussing Greek grammar. Can you give an example of what you want to do?
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by PastorTom View Post
    Greetings,
    In my old version of BW, I could search based on the root of the Greek word. Now, I seemingly can only do that based on the form.
    But I assume it is just me and that the program can still do that.
    BW could never do a search based on the "root" if by that you mean all the words lexically related to a root form. (I.e., verb/noun/adjective... forms related to the word. This is something that Logos and Accordance can do based on reverse listing of vocab lists. BW did introduce English 'fuzzy' searching in BW 10 which is close to an English "root" search.)

In BW, if you right-click on a Greek word, you are able to "Search for FORM" (which is the word with it specific parsing) or "Search for LEMMA." The lemma search gives you all the results for the lexical entry (lexeme) of that word. I suspect that's what you want.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

MGVH's option is a good one. Also, you could select a morphology version (e.g., BGM, BYM) and then type in your desired word in the command line.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    BW could never do a search based on the "root" if by that you mean all the words lexically related to a root form. (I.e., verb/noun/adjective... forms related to the word. This is something that Logos and Accordance can do based on reverse listing of vocab lists. BW did introduce English 'fuzzy' searching in BW 10 which is close to an English "root" search.)

In BW, if you right-click on a Greek word, you are able to "Search for FORM" (which is the word with it specific parsing) or "Search for LEMMA." The lemma search gives you all the results for the lexical entry (lexeme) of that word. I suspect that's what you want.
    Bingo.

Yes, in BW 5, you could right click "search on root," hence my choice of words.

And the lemma search seems like it is the same option.

Thanks to all for your comments. Very appreciative.

Tom

Default Picking a nit again

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Probably I'm being too compulsive, but...

"Search on form" in a text version (such as WTT) has nothing to do with parsing, just the exact spelling of the word in the text (which in some cases can be parsed differently elsewhere in the same version -- consult the "Forms" tab).

"Search on form" in a morphological version (such as WTM) finds all the occurrences of that lemma with that specific parsing (coding), whether or not the spelling in the text version is identical. In WTM this includes all the supplementary codes, so a note (Nxx,N??) or Qere/Kethib (Rx,Rq,Rk) will differentiate a "form".

--Jim