Thread: Old NIV text (1984) removed?

Default Old NIV text (1984) removed?

Hi,

I've always preferred the older versions of the NIV. I'm pretty sure that, until recently, BW scripture databases included two versions. Now I can find only the 2011 version.

Has the older version been removed in a final or near-final update to the program? I believe this possibility was mentioned in the description of the older version. I'm just sorry to see that it may have actually happened. That version has gotten very difficult to locate on the Internet, too.

If the older version has been suppressed, is there a way that I can add it back? Thank you, and thanks for any other information on this subject that anyone might have.

-dhave

In software, when development stops, hacking begins.

I found a set of nine nivo*.* files in the databases directory of my old laptop's installation of Bible Works 10. The laptop is running 10.0.8.651 of BW.

I copied these files to the same directory of my desktop, which is running version 10.0.8.667 of BW. One of the files was already in place, so I skipped that one.

Now in my display versions I can show the 1984 version of the NIV ("NIVO") as well as the 2011 version ("NIV").

This may raise some hackles. If so, sorry. I would defend my actions in copyright court by arguing that I had previously paid for the text of the 1984 version of the NIV and therefore can't be legally deprived of access to it. If need be, I'll move to the Cayman Islands. Perhaps a GoFundMe site is in order.

Default Nivo

My recollection is that we were actually advised to do that in the early days of new updates. I'm now moving over to Logos, but I've had old versions on ESV, NASB, NIV, etc for years.

Quote Originally Posted by dhave View Post
    In software, when development stops, hacking begins.

I found a set of nine nivo*.* files in the databases directory of my old laptop's installation of Bible Works 10. The laptop is running 10.0.8.651 of BW.

I copied these files to the same directory of my desktop, which is running version 10.0.8.667 of BW. One of the files was already in place, so I skipped that one.

Now in my display versions I can show the 1984 version of the NIV ("NIVO") as well as the 2011 version ("NIV").

This may raise some hackles. If so, sorry. I would defend my actions in copyright court by arguing that I had previously paid for the text of the 1984 version of the NIV and therefore can't be legally deprived of access to it. If need be, I'll move to the Cayman Islands. Perhaps a GoFundMe site is in order.

You should have been provided a module code for NIVO (1984 NIV). If you have kept it, you should be able to do a "Modify," and enter in that code.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    You should have been provided a module code for NIVO (1984 NIV). If you have kept it, you should be able to do a "Modify," and enter in that code.
    O.K., thanks. I may remove the NIVO files I just copied over and see if this works. Since it may be that NIVO has been pulled from the latest updates, I'm wondering if it's still possible to get it through the ordinary system update/modify routine.

We'll see.

EDIT: Yes, that works. Thank you very much. I'm encouraged that I'm less likely to lose the good old 1984 NIV now.
    Last edited by dhave; 11-14-2018 at 02:06 PM.