Thread: Internet Censorship

Default Internet Censorship

As many of you are probably aware, some "high tech" business giants such as Facebook, Twitter, etc., as well as credit card service providers, and others, have been censoring content on websites, or by not allowing web site's to reside on their servers. The nefarious George Soros, billionaire funds manager, has boasted that by 2020, essentially all political conservatives will have been silenced on the internet.

Rationally, we can project that eventually it won't just be "political" content that is censored. On creation.com, they have speculated that they could become a target of censorship. Possibly, bible.org. Only God knows, since He is the one in control, but we don't know what He will or will not allow, as we move toward the eschatological tribulation.

Since BibleWorks is no longer a commercial entity doing business on the internet, it may be "under the radar", so to speak. But, if not, the potential exists that the validation server wouldn't be available. I know Mike Bushell has mentioned a distributed validation of some kind, that wouldn't require access to the validation server.

My question is: How would we be notified of the distributed validation? By email?

David Horowitz's Frontpagemagazine had it's revenue cut-off overnight by the credit card service it used, without warning. Fortunately for them, legal action was able to get them back in business.

Hello, Erin. I don't know what Internet "censorship" (i.e., services not permitting racist, anti-Semitic, threatening, and other hostile activities) has to do with BibleWorks activation. IMHO, there is zero chance that some nefarious entity is going to keep BibleWorks activation codes from being distributed. Zero, zilch, nichts, nada. "Rationally, we can project...." Also irrationally; and these days most "projections" (from right and left) seem to me to be just that. But those are just my opinions, rational or not. I really don't think there is anything to worry about.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by ERINCORRIGAN View Post
    My question is: How would we be notified of the distributed validation? By email?
    If what you describe happens, it may be that there would be no way for validatation to happen. So you would be stuck with what you have.
    Last edited by now john; 10-31-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Interesting thoughts. However, the BibleWorks site is not subject to the whims of an overlord like Facebook or Twitter. Who is going to censor the BW site--the hosting service? Considering BW owns the site, they can just move it to another hosting service. I suppose Google and other search engines could tweak their algorithms to hide the BW site from searches, but that would not remove it from the Internet.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Default No worries

My concern, as Lee mentions, was the hosting service not allowing the BW website to use the service any longer.

I have downloaded the iso file that was made available on 7/16/2018.
    That will probably stay as is far into the future.
    The only time I should have to use the iso file is if I get a new computer, and need to go through an initial install again.
    The biggest concern in that case, would be negotiating the expense of a new computer with my wife.
    She would probably approve, but for those of you who are married, you know how negotiations with a wife can be.

My concern, as Lee mentions, was the hosting service not allowing the BW website to use the service any longer.

I have downloaded the iso file that was made available on 7/16/2018.
    That will probably stay as is far into the future.
    The only time I should have to use the iso file is if I get a new computer, and need to go through an initial install again.
    The biggest concern in that case, would be negotiating the expense of a new computer with my wife.
    She would probably approve, but for those of you who are married, you know how negotiations with a wife can be.
    Yeah.... Sometimes it feels like a race to see who gets to spend the money first! The question of activating that last ISO file on a new computer at some distant future date, when whatever cause may have made online activation difficult, has been raised here a couple of times, I think. At this point, I'm kind of telling myself, "I should live so long!"
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default activation

As many of you are probably aware, some "high tech" business giants such as Facebook, Twitter, etc., as well as credit card service providers, and others, have been censoring content on websites, or by not allowing web site's to reside on their servers. The nefarious George Soros, billionaire funds manager, has boasted that by 2020, essentially all political conservatives will have been silenced on the internet.

Rationally, we can project that eventually it won't just be "political" content that is censored. On creation.com, they have speculated that they could become a target of censorship. Possibly, bible.org. Only God knows, since He is the one in control, but we don't know what He will or will not allow, as we move toward the eschatological tribulation.

Since BibleWorks is no longer a commercial entity doing business on the internet, it may be "under the radar", so to speak. But, if not, the potential exists that the validation server wouldn't be available. I know Mike Bushell has mentioned a distributed validation of some kind, that wouldn't require access to the validation server.

David Horowitz's Frontpagemagazine had it's revenue cut-off overnight by the credit card service it used, without warning. Fortunately for them, legal action was able to get them back in business.
    There is enough evil in the world each day. Don't fret about tomorrow. I think Jesus said something along those lines. If it ever gets to the point where all Christian content is outlawed on the internet, BibleWorks will be the least of your worries. Just make sure you invest in physical resources like books. And store the Word up in your heart where no one can get at it but you. As far as activation is concerned, we have it covered. I can't give you any details on how.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Interesting thoughts. However, the BibleWorks site is not subject to the whims of an overlord like Facebook or Twitter. Who is going to censor the BW site--the hosting service? Considering BW owns the site, they can just move it to another hosting service. I suppose Google and other search engines could tweak their algorithms to hide the BW site from searches, but that would not remove it from the Internet.
    Yes, it's called de-platforming and it is a very real thing, and not just aimed at, as one poster in this thread mentioned, "racist, anti-Semitic, threatening, and other hostile activities". I am active in a variety of firearm-related activities, LEGAL activities, and have seen sites de-platformed especially after some whack-job shoots a group of people. Given the level of anti-Christian hatred in this country, I think the OP's point is well-taken, albeit (I hope) premature.

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
    Yes, it's called de-platforming and it is a very real thing, and not just aimed at, as one poster in this thread mentioned, "racist, anti-Semitic, threatening, and other hostile activities". I am active in a variety of firearm-related activities, LEGAL activities, and have seen sites de-platformed especially after some whack-job shoots a group of people. Given the level of anti-Christian hatred in this country, I think the OP's point is well-taken, albeit (I hope) premature.
    I'll try to keep this calm. But, speaking for myself, I find it fairly offensive to have opposition to firearms equated with anti-Christian hatred. The status of guns in the U.S.A. is a controversial issue, and I can see that it would be aggravating to have legal activities related to them booted from Web-hosting platforms owned by people who are on the other side of the controversy. But it seems like a giant leap from there to say that whoever owns the physical servers that host BibleWorks is likely to eject them for being a Bible-related organization. Can you give examples of something like that happening, where politically or socially controversial policies were not an issue?

As for "anti-Christian hatred".... Christian faith, teaching, values, and institutions (which of course are much less monolithic than a lot of non-Christians think) are openly criticized and rejected in American culture today in ways that would not have been imaginable 50 or 60 years ago. But criticism and rejection are not the same as hate, even though they may feel painful and insulting. Not being able to control public policy as we once did is not the same as being persecuted. AFAIK, apart from random punkish vandalism there have been no attacks on churches because they are churches, in the way that the synagogue members in Pittsburgh were attacked. The shooting at Emanuel AME Church in Charleston in 2015 was perpetrated by a white supremacist, not a liberal anti-Christian. The shooting at First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, in 2017 was carried out by one of those "whack-jobs," in this case a fairly militant atheist, but also a serial spouse-abuser whose wife's family attended the church that he targeted.

So: from where I sit, elsewhere on the spectrum of Christian faith and social perception from Pathfinder, Christians are subject to a certain amount of often ill-informed cultural mockery, but still often also get significant cultural respect (not all of which we have necessarily earned). Christians in the U.S.A., as a religion, are not being persecuted, and we are not about to be. We are not being fired from our jobs, rounded up and put in camps, assaulted in the streets, or having our churches burned or shot up because we are Christians. Jesus kept saying, "Fear not." The more we marinate ourselves in fear, IMHO, the more we are likely to be tempted to do things that give poor testimony to him or violate his teachings.

I apologize if this offends anyone. I know it is miles off-topic for a support-related question. Maybe this post needs to be moved to a different forum. I just want it to be clear that even among committed students of the Bible, there are differences of mindset.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

How 'bout those Redsox!
    David Spear
    Calvary Chapel of Manassas
    Manassas, Va. 20110
    http://www.calvarychapelmanassas.org/
    KJV Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without (apart from) the deeds of the law.