Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selecting Arial Font for Greek Texts

Default Selecting Arial Font for Greek Texts

When I select the Arial font for the Greek text in the Browse Window, it is not displayed properly. Is there a way to select the Arial font and make it work with the Greek texts?

Quote Originally Posted by BerndStrauss View Post
    When I select the Arial font for the Greek text in the Browse Window, it is not displayed properly. Is there a way to select the Arial font and make it work with the Greek texts?
    The short answer is no. When you select Arial the characters displayed are the characters that BW is programmed to display.

A not so short answer: When you open the BW Options Window and select Browse/Analysis Window Fonts, there is a note above the column for selecting the TypeFace. Above TypeFace is "Font Sets (Non-Unicode only)."
    While you can see Arial in the dropdown menu, it is not a valid choice to display Greek text in the Browse Window. The Browse window cannot display Unicode only ASCII. (Characters normally displayed when a physical keyboard is used.)
    Using the Arial font when you type a g, g is displayed. You need to choose a Greek ASCII font that will display a γ when g is typed. Bwgrkl works.

If this still doesn't make sense, an investigation into ASCII and Unicode fonts is needed.

But the practical answer is that a Greek font must be selected from the dropdown menu for Greek to be displayed with Greek characters in the Search and Browse Windows.
    Last edited by now john; 10-27-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Thank you for the explanation. Greek texts are displayed correctly in the Arial font in Microsoft Word. So apparently there is something in the BibleWorks program which prevents it from displaying Greek texts in this font in the Browse Window. Is there a module for the program which has Greek characters in the Arial font?

Thank you for the explanation. Greek texts are displayed correctly in the Arial font in Microsoft Word. So apparently there is something in the BibleWorks program which prevents it from displaying Greek texts in this font in the Browse Window. Is there a module for the program which has Greek characters in the Arial font?
    The short answer is no.

When computers and keyboards were first used there were 128 characters used. The English keyboard had the characters it does now. It could only display those 128 characters. When I was first learning Greek on the computer most computers could only understand one language at a time. So I worked with that. επι was written epi and so forth.

If you wanted to display Greek you had to use the same physical keyboard and tell the computer to interpret the characters as Greek, not English. It was all there was. So then I could choose to display one or the other but not both.

Unicode fonts were developed to overcome that difficulty. A Unicode font can display any letter, character, or symbol. So I can now type bcde and βχδε easily.

BibleWorks began in the ASCII days. ASCII is the only thing it had at its beginning. The internal language that it uses for searching and displaying text is ASCII. Now it has built in interpretors that allow the ASCII to be converted to Unicode for exporting and for use in editing and note taking.

The first 128 characters of Unicode font are the same as ASCII. Unicode fonts can contain thousands of characters beginning with the 129th. This internet editor can see them. MS Word can see them. But for searching and browse window display only the first 128 characters are recognised by the BW search engine and browser display window.

I do use theWord. It was developed more recently. It's search engine uses Unicode. I have an English Greek interlinear New Testament. This is Mat 2:17 in it:
    A voice φωνη was heard ακουω in εν Ramah ραμα lamentation θρηνος x και weeping κλαυθμος and και great πολυς mourning οδυρμος Rachel ραχηλ weeping κλαιω for x ο her αυτος children τεκνον and και she-was willing θελω not ου to-be comforted παρακαλεω because οτι they were ειμι no ου more

I can search for the phrase "Rachel ραχηλ" It is only found in that verse. theWord's search Engine is not limited to the 128 characters.

I have the same interlinear adjusted for use in BW. It has English transliterations of the Greek.
    A voice fwnh was heard akouw in en Ramah rama lamentation qrhnoj x kai weeping klauqmoj and kai great poluj mourning odurmoj Rachel rachl weeping klaiw for x o her autoj children teknon and kai she-was willing qelw not ou to-be comforted parakalew because oti they were eimi no ou more

I can overcome the 128 character limitation that excludes Greek by using English transliterations. But it is very handy to be able to use the BW search engine to discover how many times "και" is translated as "and" by entering 'and kai on the command line.

(The x kai means not translated into English. That way I can search for the number of times [and in which verses] kai is left untranslated.)
    Last edited by now john; 10-28-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Thank you for the information about fonts. Apparently the Bwgkl font is specially designed for use with Greek texts in the program. If I want to read a Greek text in another font, I may have to copy it from BibleWorks into Microsoft Word and select another font.

Default Not germane, but somewhat related.

Where can I get the BWGreek and BWHebrew fonts? I just got a new computer and I need to install them...

Robb Hogg

Thank you for the information about fonts. Apparently the Bwgkl font is specially designed for use with Greek texts in the program. If I want to read a Greek text in another font, I may have to copy it from BibleWorks into Microsoft Word and select another font.
    If you want to read a portion of Greek text, export that portion using the TextExport tool in BW.

Before that go to the Fonts option, select Export fonts, then set the Greek to Arial. Make sure that you export to a txt file.

Here are the first few verses that I just exported of m-01a.

Mat 1:1 Βιβλος γενεσεως Ι̅Υ̅ Χ̅Υ̅ υιου Δ̅Α̅Δ̅ υιου Αβρααμ
    Mat 1:2 Αβρααμ εγεννησεν τον Ισακ Ισακ εγεννησεν τον Ιακωβ Ιακωβ δε εγεννησεˉ τον Ιουδαν και τους αδελφους αυτου
    Mat 1:3 Ιουδας δε εγεννησεν τον Φαρες και τον Ζαρα εκ της Θαμαρ Φαρες δε εγεννησεν τον Εσρωμ Εσρωμ δε εγεννησεν τον Αραμ
    Mat 1:4 Αραμ δε εγεννησεν τοˉ Αμιναδαβ Αμιναδαμ δε εγεννησεˉ τον Ναασσων Ναασσων δε εγεννησεν τον Σαλμων
    Mat 1:5 Σαλμων δε εγεννησεν τον Βοες εκ της Ραχαβ Βοες δε εγεννησεν τον Ιωβηδ εκ της Ρουθ Ιωβηδ δε εγεννησεν τον Ιεσσαι
    Mat 1:6 Ιεσσαι δε εγεννησεν τον Δ̅Α̅Δ̅ τον βασιλεα Δαυειδ δε εγεννησεν τον Σαλομων εκ της του Ουριου

The above could be viewed in most Unicode capable editors and file viewers, including NotePad, MS Word, and the BW editor.
    Last edited by now john; 10-29-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stoic01 View Post
    Where can I get the BWGreek and BWHebrew fonts? I just got a new computer and I need to install them...

Robb Hogg
    They are installed when the program is installed. Open the program. Set the search version to a Greek or Hebrew text and you should see the verses in Greek or Hebrew.

You should also see them in the base folder of BibleWorks, usually c:\Program Files (x86)\BibleWorks 10

These are the files that are installed on the computer.

BWGRKD.ttf
    bwgrki.ttf
    bwgrkl.ttf
    bwgrkn.ttf
    bwheba.ttf
    bwhebb.ttf
    bwhebl.ttf
    Last edited by now john; 10-29-2018 at 02:14 PM.

Default BwGrk fonts...

I've got a Mac and don't see them...

Quote Originally Posted by now john View Post
    They are installed when the program is installed. Open the program. Set the search version to a Greek or Hebrew text and you should see the verses in Greek or Hebrew.

You should also see them in the base folder of BibleWorks, usually c:\Program Files (x86)\BibleWorks 10

These are the files that are installed on the computer.

BWGRKD.ttf
    bwgrki.ttf
    bwgrkl.ttf
    bwgrkn.ttf
    bwheba.ttf
    bwhebb.ttf
    bwhebl.ttf

Quote Originally Posted by stoic01 View Post
    I've got a Mac and don't see them...
    I just found this. I don't know if it will be helpful or not.

.......Installing BibleWorks on the Mac does not automatically install these fonts in the Mac operating system. BibleWorks is able to use them in the program, but if you wish your exported text to appear these fonts follow the steps below.

1. Open BibleWorks and click on the BibleWorks menu at the top of the screen. Choose Open Program Folder.

2. Double click the BibleWorks 10 folder (or BibleWorks 9 if you have version 9 installed).

3. Double click the bwgrkl.ttf font.

4. Click the button to Install Font.

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for at least the bwhebb.ttf, SBL_grk.ttf, SBL_Hbrw.ttf fonts in that folder. Other .ttf fonts in the BibleWorks 10 folder may be installed in this fashion. For example, if you will be exporting Russian text, install the bwcyrl.ttf as well.
    .......When the fonts are installed to your Mac OS, the Greek and Hebrew text you export from BibleWorks to another program in macOS should display in the font you are set to use in your Tools | Options | General | Fonts | Export Fonts setting.
    .......Last updated: MC/June 30, 2017

Have you rebooted the computer since you installed BW.

Perhaps a screenshot of the Browse Window displaying the WTT and BGT would be helpful so that we could see what is on the screen.

There are 65 truetype font files in my BW base folder and others in some of the other folders.

You could open MS Word or a similar editor and see if any of the BW Greek fonts previously listed show up there.

If you can't find them I could email the Greek and Hebrew fonts to you. Then you could use the link below to install them.

https://www.howtogeek.com/192980/how...mac-and-linux/
    Last edited by now john; 10-29-2018 at 06:00 PM.