Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Notes pane keeps switching the keyboard layout to en-US

Quote Originally Posted by DoruCatalin View Post
    I messed with the keyboard settings in the registry so right now Tools->Interface/Settings->BibleWorks Keyboard would not load the norwegian keyboard anymore.
    Could you post the registry keys that you changed? What their previous values were and what you changed them to?

I have not found a way to force the Editor windows to permanently remain at a language setting different from the current language setting of Windows itself. Every time I leave the Editor and edit in the language setting of Windows, Windows forces the Editor to change to the current Windows language. But at least the work around using shortcut keys or the icon in the taskbar works well enough.

Hello,

I have't notice that I have problems with the search bar so far. But yesterday I experience that my OS keyboard layout was stuck to en-US (for other programs, like Word) and I could not change it to Norwegian in the OS. Ironically, I had to actually start up BW10 and purposefully click on the Editor pane to have BW set the layout for me to Norwegian, which is how it is now configured. :-D

I am a somewhat experienced computer user, I worked with IT for many years, including some programming. That's why I dared to mess with the registry. If this behaviour of yesterday is due to my messing up with the registry or it is just a BW10 "collateral damage" I do not know. I have a general feeling that BW does more harm then help in terms of its keyboard layout behaviour. But maybe, if I were a more advanced user of BW I would see the necessity for BW to interfere so much with the keyboard layout.

Anyways, a great software, and the only one where almost all Norwegian translations are available out of the box. There are many other bible programs out there which are great but there is always this limitation on resources in Norwegian and/or original languages.

Best regards,
    Catalin

Here are my registry settings right now. But please understand that I have not studies in details what they are supposed to be in order for Windows to work properly. I just tried out some changes hoping to "lock" Windows to the norwegian keyboard layout in such a way that no application would be allowed to change it. Which I did not succeed.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Keyboard Layout->Preload is set to 1 = d0000414 (I set it to this value which is for norwegian keyboard layout)

I deleted all substitutes from HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Keyboard Layout->Substitues. I do not remember what they were, but I thing they were pointing to the US and NO keyboard layouts. I had a .txt file with these settings but I can not find it right now.

I also found some BW10 specific settings in:

Computer\HKEY_USERS\<my-user's SID>\Software\BibleWorks\BibleWorks 10\AppData. There is this setting under that hive:
    Computer\HKEY_USERS\<my-user's SID>\Software\BibleWorks\BibleWorks 10\AppData\language set to "en-US".

I tried changing it to other valid options with the same formatting, like no-NO and others. When there is anything else then en-US there, BW10 loads and seems to works properly, but when going to the "Tools->Interface/settings->Bibleworks kayboard layout" menu entry that would just shut down BW10 all together without any error message.

Best regards,
    Catalin

I know nothing about registry editing. I just want to say that your mention of Norwegian translations brought back good memories of my dissertation professor from many years ago, the late Nils Alstrup Dahl. He had an independent mind, and his scholarship was broad and impeccable, even if he had a tendency to type phrases like "the twelwe apostles" (pronounced "tfelf").
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia