Thread: Browse Window - Forward and Backward Arrows?

Default Browse Window - Forward and Backward Arrows?

I'm helping a friend that had BW 5 and recently upgraded to BW 10. From what I understand, BW 5 had arrows that allowed one to move forward and backward within the Browse window. Like the foward and backward arrows within an Intenet Web Browser. Is this an option for BW 10? Say one brought up Gen.1:1 and then went to Mt.1:1 and then John 3, you can click on the backward arrow and reverse your browsed verses or forward to move in that direction.

Thanks for any help.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by drhoads View Post
    Say one brought up Gen.1:1 and then went to Mt.1:1 and then John 3, you can click on the backward arrow and reverse your browsed verses or forward to move in that direction. Derek
    I am not aware of a feature exactly like that in BW10 but see Topic 11 The Search Window.

This is a quick summary of some of what is there.

Below the Search Window Title Bar there is a row of numbers. At the left end of that row there is a left pointing solid triangle. Left click on the triangle to see a history of visited verses. Click on an entry to return to it. Right click on that triangle to configure how the verse history works.

Below that triangle there is a solid triangle pointing down. Left click on that triangle to show a history of successful searches. Click on it an entry to return to it.

The row of numbers above the command line entry box are called tabs. (From Topic 11) When you do a search or change the display verse, the current display context is stored in the currently active tab. This provides a convenient way of working on several different concepts or projects at the same time. If you want to work on something different for a while or follow some links without losing your place, just click on a new tab and work for a while. To return to your previous context, click on the original tab. Tab contexts are saved between sessions. The context which is saved includes the following: (And a list of what is preserved follows.)
    This is the most powerful implementation of moving backward or forward in the Browse Window in BW10.

Quote Originally Posted by now john View Post
    I am not aware of a feature exactly like that in BW10 but see Topic 11 The Search Window.

This is a quick summary of some of what is there.

Below the Search Window Title Bar there is a row of numbers. At the left end of that row there is a left pointing solid triangle. Left click on the triangle to see a history of visited verses. Click on an entry to return to it. Right click on that triangle to configure how the verse history works.

Below that triangle there is a solid triangle pointing down. Left click on that triangle to show a history of successful searches. Click on it an entry to return to it.

The row of numbers above the command line entry box are called tabs. (From Topic 11) When you do a search or change the display verse, the current display context is stored in the currently active tab. This provides a convenient way of working on several different concepts or projects at the same time. If you want to work on something different for a while or follow some links without losing your place, just click on a new tab and work for a while. To return to your previous context, click on the original tab. Tab contexts are saved between sessions. The context which is saved includes the following: (And a list of what is preserved follows.)
    This is the most powerful implementation of moving backward or forward in the Browse Window in BW10.
    Hi John,

You are referring to the search window. I am asking about the browse window.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by drhoads View Post
    Hi John, You are referring to the search window. I am asking about the browse window. Thank you.
    Perhaps I do not understand what you want.

But when I do the procedures that I described in the Search Window I see the results of those Search Window choices in the Browse Window. Those results seem to be what you requested.

I just viewed Gen 1:1, and then Mat 1:1, and then Joh 3:1 in the Browse Window. I click on the left pointing triangle in the Search Window as I described previously and I see the menu displayed below. When I click on one of those choices that verse will appear in the Browse Window. So I could return to Joh 3:1, Mat 1:1, or Gen 1:1 in the Browse Window by selecting that verse in the menu as seen below.

Name:  browse window results.png
Views: 62
Size:  7.7 KB

The full list that I did not include in the screenshot above gives the opportunity to choose between any of the last 100 verses that I have displayed in the Browse Window. So the forward and back arrows of BW5 have been replaced with a menu that allows the choice of any of the last 100 verses viewed rather than the choice offered in BW5 between only 2 verses by going forward or backward.
    Last edited by now john; 10-16-2018 at 07:14 AM.

But when I do the procedures that I described in the Search Window I see the results of those Search Window choices in the Browse Window. Those results seem to be what you requested.

I just viewed Gen 1:1, and then Mat 1:1, and then Joh 3:1 in the Browse Window. I click on the left pointing triangle in the Search Window as I described previously and I see the menu displayed below. When I click on one of those choices that verse will appear in the Browse Window. So I could return to Joh 3:1, Mat 1:1, or Gen 1:1 in the Browse Window by selecting that verse in the menu as seen below.

The full list that I did not include in the screenshot above gives the opportunity to choose between any of the last 100 verses that I have displayed in the Browse Window. So the forward and back arrows of BW5 have been replaced with a menu that allows the choice of any of the last 100 verses viewed rather than the choice offered in BW5 between only 2 verses by going forward or backward.
    Browse Window. The question has nothing to do with the Search Window. I guess there was arrows where you could move backward or forward for the verses you have viewed in the Browse Window. This was a very import feature that he came to depend on. The way it is now, he has to use the dropdown and select the verse he previously viewed again instead of the arrows that would take him back.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  81.1 KB

I see now what you were trying to tell. It's an odd place to have it. It should have been located in the Browse window and not in the Search window. Thank you for your help.

You're welcome.

I want to say thanks to both now john and drhoads for this discussion. I've used BW 10 since it first came out, and I have never, ever noticed or clicked that little back arrow in the Search Window before. What a handy tool! Even now, BibleWorks continues to offer more features than I know. FWIW, I can understand it being in the Search Window, since it takes in verses from whatever tabs you may have clicked on. In any case, very useful!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Before BW10, it was a single arrow that clicked back verse by verse. BW10 shows the dropdown of all the previous 100 verses or so. For going back a single verse, it does add an extra step; but with the single arrow click, sometimes it was difficult to navigate your way back to the actual verse you wanted. No guesswork about it now.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.