Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matthew 2:19 and 20 the same Notes file

Default Matthew 2:19 and 20 the same Notes file

Howdy, Bros of the BW.

The subject line says it. My Notes file for verses 19 and 20 of Matthew 2 is the same. If I cut the contents of v. 19, the contents of v. 20 are also cut. It seems like it's the v. 20 file for both.

I've closed and reopened BW, and I've opened it in two different configurations. No joy.

Do you see the same in yours, assuming you do individual-verse notes?

FWIW, I tried deleting both 2_19 and 2_20 files with BW closed. Then I reopen and create text in 2:20 -- but it saves as 2_19, and displays for both verses. It's like it won't see 2:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Phillips View Post
    FWIW, I tried deleting both 2_19 and 2_20 files with BW closed. Then I reopen and create text in 2:20 -- but it saves as 2_19, and displays for both verses. It's like it won't see 2:20.
    Same behavior here. Mar 2:19-20 behaves as expected. I thought that it might have something to do with verse mapping. I do have 14 versions that have these two lines in their .vmf files:

Mat 2:19-20 Mat 2:19-20 GNT
    Mat 2:19 Mat 2:20 GNT

Tested for the verse mapping as below. 85 versions have these two lines.

Mat 15:5-6 Mat 15:5-6 GNT
    Mat 15:5 Mat 15:6 GNT

Mat 15:5 and 6 notes are also the same.
    So it seems to be related to verse mapping.

Mar 3:19-20 Mar 3:19-20 GNT
    Mar 3:19 Mar 3:20 GNT
    shows up in 94 vmf files with the same behavior

Never noticed it before.

A work around in cases as above would be to begin the verse note with the verse reference. That way when you returned later, it would remind you which verse the note was attached to, even when it showed up attached to both.

Mar 5:39-40 Mar 5:39-40 GNT
    Mar 5:39 Mar 5:40 GNT
    occurs in 2 versions

The verse notes are different. Maybe it has something to do with which versions the verse mapping occurs in.
    Last edited by now john; 10-03-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Default Probable verse mapping problem

Hi Dan,
    My guess is that this is related to verse mapping.

Many English versions have Mat 2:19 mapped to both 2:19 and 2:20 in GNT.
    Does the same problem occur for you when GNT (or an equivalent NA based version) is your search version?

You can also turn off verse mapping for an individual version if you wish (I think):
    Main menu /
    Tools /
    Options... /
    Bible Versions /
    Verse Maps select Version and uncheck "Enable"

--Jim

I just tried it, and when I went to Mat 2:20, I got a pop-up that said: "The note file name for this verse has a verse reference that is not the same as the current search version verse. The reason is that the current verse maps to a different or multiple verses in the NRS version, to which all note files are referenced." No matter what I did, it only created a note file for 2:19, and it displayed it for both 2:19 and 2:20. The pop-up did not display if I went to 2:19 first.

Then I chose NRS as the search version, and when I went to 2:20 the pop-up only said that one or more of the displayed verses have different verse numbers. I could, however, create separate note files for 2:19 and 2:20.

When I went back to ESV as the search version, I got the original behavior.

- Robert

I believe that the notes follow the RSV versification, regardless what version you are using in the Browse Window. It does, indeed, sound like a verse mapping issue.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

So is the conclusion that if you want to be sure to create and view verse notes that are unique to each verse you should use the NRS for the search version?

I used the ESV as my search version to a make a verse note for Mat 2:19. With that version I could not make a different verse note for Mat 2:20.

I switched to NRS and could make and view different verse notes for 19 and 20.

When I switched back to the ESV as my search version I could only see the verse note for 19 even though 20 was in my notes folder and could be viewed when NRS was the search version.

I just tried the RSV. It shows the same content for Mat 2:19 and 20, even when my notes folder has different content for the two verses.

Last edited by now john; 10-03-2018 at 12:32 PM.

I suggest not trying to over-think the problem. There isn't an easy solution. Always creating your verse notes using the NRS isn't a good solution unless that is the version that you want to use.

Just create your notes using whatever version you want, and let the verse mapping do its work. If the note for 2:19 appears when you change to 2:20, just enter your info into that note. Your content will be there, even if the note number is different. The only way to change this (and this assumes that the note numbering works off of the NRS.vmf file) is to change the NRS.vmf mapping. I don't recommend that, though.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

The most important thing for me is that I am now aware of the problem.
    Since I normally switch search versions and make notes, some of them may disappear from the Analysis Window unless I always only make notes with the same search version. They will be in my notes folder. They may not show up in the Analysis Window.
    Haven't decided how to handle that yet. I often count on the Analysis window automatically displaying all of the notes. I am glad I am now aware that it might miss some.

I doubt that you will miss any notes. I haven't heard of this happening the entire time that I have been using BibleWorks (which is 20 years now). The verse mapping files work pretty well. If anything seems odd, then display the NRS and check it. But otherwise, just keep making your notes using whatever version you want to use, and I expect that they will always be there for you.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver