Thread: Easy way to manually sort search results into different lists/categories?

Default Easy way to manually sort search results into different lists/categories?

Hi all, I was curious if there is any easy way to sort the search results into related meanings. I figure it will have to be done manually, but right now I've been using a pen and paper to group related scriptures. So, for example, if I do a search of ἅγιος (holy) and want to make a list of everywhere that it is used of the holy spirit, another list of everywhere it is used as "saints," and another list where it is simply used as an adj, is there a simple way of doing this? I've tried using check boxes, but that only allows compiling one list, and then I have to start over with the full list again once I've picked out the ones I want. Thanks in advance for any creative suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by zmbras View Post
    Hi all, I was curious if there is any easy way to sort the search results into related meanings. I figure it will have to be done manually, but right now I've been using a pen and paper to group related scriptures. So, for example, if I do a search of ἅγιος (holy) and want to make a list of everywhere that it is used of the holy spirit, another list of everywhere it is used as "saints," and another list where it is simply used as an adj, is there a simple way of doing this? I've tried using check boxes, but that only allows compiling one list, and then I have to start over with the full list again once I've picked out the ones I want. Thanks in advance for any creative suggestions!
    This is a method that I have used.
    Open the morphology version of a Greek NT and search for the Greek word, in this case αγιος.
    Open a version that has Strong's numbers, make it the search version, and use it to discover the corresponding SN, in this case 40.
    Enter <d c> without the < > marks into the Command Line, then press <enter>. All other versions are cleared except the search version.
    Turn off the display of SN's.
    Enter <'*@40> and seach.
    The browse window will display the hits with the English translation of the SN highlighted.
    Open the Word List Manager and load in it the highlighted words from the last query. Inspect that list to help decide in advance the categories that you will use. In this case, three lists as you mentioned.
    Click on "Copy" below the Command Line | Copy Verse List + Text | Configure Verse Copy Favorites
    Select All Verses, New BibleWorks Editor Window, Search version only, and at least Export Colors (hit highlighting), press <OK>
    Click on "Copy" below the Command Line | Copy Verse List + Text | Copy to New BW Editor

After the verse list is created resize it to fit 1/3 of the monitor. Open two more and resize so the screen is full. Name the first Holy Spirit (to minimize cutting and pasting), holy, and saints.

Go through each verse. The highlighing makes it very easy to choose. Cut each verse that is not Holy Spirit and paste as needed. Some verses may appear more than one window.

Two more things to try.
    In BibleWorks you can search for more than one word at a time. So on the command line you can type
    .holy spirit (or the Greek equivalents)
    and you will get a list of all the verses with these two words. Some verses on the list could have something like "holy people have the spirit," which you would not want.
    Or you could do a string search for the exact phrase
    'holy spirit (If you do the Greek equivalent, you would have to do two searches, one for "holy spirit" and another for "spirit (the) holy (one)"

The second thing would be after searching for AGIOS in a Greek morphology version, use the verse list manager (see Help chapter 49) to compare the full list of AGIOS in Greek with "saint*" in English. You would have to go through the lists manually, but starting with a list of all possibilities (AGIOS) which can be pared down is easier than adding verses to a list one at a time.

Mark Eddy

Thank you both for the replies and for taking the time to write them out and explain. I'll give both a try and see what works. I was hoping that there might be a way to add another column of checkboxes or something, so I could check different columns to group the texts, but that doesn't appear to be an option. Is there a way to copy a verse list of the checked boxes, and then the unchecked boxes without deleting on or the other first? (I couldn't find a way to restore the delete unchecked boxes after I removed them). Thanks!

In addition to the ways already suggest, may I add...

Α)
    • Run a search for all instances of αγιος
    • Use the Verse List Manager (VLM) and save all the verses to the main list
    • Change to preferred English version and run a search for holy
    • Use the VLM and save all the verses to the secondary list
    • Use Selection > Select verses not common to both lists
    • This method will at least help you find verses where αγιος is not translated as holy

B) I've attached a QF file you can use in the Graphical Search Engine. If you run it, it will return all the results with both αγιος and all the forms of "holy" OR "saint" highlighted. You would have to scan through each verse. Or, you could use this search in combination with the search results from A above to focus on specific verses.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools