Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greek Keyboard

Default Latecomer to Koine, Asking Newbie Greek Questions

(I read this thread, but prefer to type in Greek in other applications so my Microsoft laptop keyboard is set up to go back and forth between English and Greek with the shortcut, Windows Key>Space Bar.)

(BW 10.0.8.704 / Search Version, BYZ / Browse Version, KJV)

I think I accidentally hit some sequence on my keyboard which only affects it when typing in Greek. In Greek, it now types characters--mostly vowels, I think--with accent marks instead of the normal Pi behind the P key, Rho behind the R key, et cetera through the Greek alphabet. In English, it types normally.

I'd sure like to get my keyboard back to typing predictable Greek letters. I was going to give examples in this post of what it actually does, but Ι can't reproduce it here, nor in a Word document outside BibleWorks. It's only doing it inside BW. When I type lowercase 'p' (or lowercase Greek rho) I get a Greek lowercase omicron but with a circumflex. When I type English lowercase 'i' (or lowercase Greek iota), I get an accented epsilon.

While we're at it, I guess I'd also like to know how to get it back to typing the accented characters. I suppose eventually I'll need those...but only if this makes sense and actually IS the way the keyboard is supposed to work. If it's not, I don't care to ever get back in this shape again

I wish I could post a big, fat lol but I'm not laughing right now, I've got work to do
    Glenn Lawson

When your cursor is in BibleWorks, what language abbreviation is listed at the lower right hand corner of your screen (assuming your are using a PC)? If it is not "ENG," try choosing the English language there, and see if it makes a difference. Otherwise, closing BW and/or rebooting your computer might help. If not, you are right that you probably typed a sequence of keys unknowingly, and somebody else might know what that is.
    Mark Eddy

If Mark's idea doesn't work, is it possible to unplug the keyboard from the PC and then back in. Depending on the keyboard, it might reset the internal memory. This would work on my keyboard.
    David Spear
    Calvary Chapel of Manassas
    Manassas, Va. 20110
    http://www.calvarychapelmanassas.org/
    KJV Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without (apart from) the deeds of the law.

Glenn Lawson wrote:

I think I accidentally hit some sequence on my keyboard which only affects it when typing in Greek. In Greek, it now types characters--mostly vowels, I think--with accent marks instead of the normal Pi behind the P key, Rho behind the R key, et cetera through the Greek alphabet. In English, it types normally.

I'd sure like to get my keyboard back to typing predictable Greek letters. I was going to give examples in this post of what it actually does, but Ι can't reproduce it here, nor in a Word document outside BibleWorks. It's only doing it inside BW. When I type lowercase 'p' (or lowercase Greek rho) I get a Greek lowercase omicron but with a circumflex. When I type English lowercase 'i' (or lowercase Greek iota), I get an accented epsilon.
    This is what happens if you type in the Search Window command line with your keyboard set to Unicode Greek. The BibleWorks Greek databases and the command line use a non-Unicode format. (Check out the program's help files to see the Bibleworks Greek & Hebrew keyboard layouts.)

Just use Win+Space to return to your default English keyboard and type your search with that.

Hope this helps,

John