Thread: Problem with BW shutting down

Default Problem with BW shutting down

I have discovered a problem that was not present before BW was discontinued. When I click on "Open/Close Search Window" in the Browse Window my program shuts down. There are a couple of other items that does the same thing. Has anyone had this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by bayouparson View Post
    I have discovered a problem that was not present before BW was discontinued. When I click on "Open/Close Search Window" in the Browse Window my program shuts down. There are a couple of other items that does the same thing. Has anyone had this problem?
    It may help if you listed all of the problems.

Default Other problem

The problem seems to be in the Browse Window. I have only been able to reproduce two of the issues. One has been stated. The other occurs in the Browse Window. When I click on the "Click to choose the current Bible version" the program shuts down.

Quote Originally Posted by bayouparson View Post
    The current version is 10.0.8.667. If you are running an older version, update and see if that fixes the problem.

A workaround for closing the search window would be to move the mouse over the border between the search window and browse window and drag the border to shrink it. To unshrink it, grab the border again and resize the search window.

A workaround for choosing the current Bible version would be to doubleclick on its abbreviation in the browse window or entering the abbreviation in the search window and pressing Enter on your keyboard.

You may be able to fix the problem by using a Checkpoint. It reverts the program to the way it was working at a previous time. When you revert you will loose some setting, but if you can get the program running normally you can manually change settings to how you want them. Begin by saving a checkpoint. If the problem is not fixed by restoring previous checkpoints, at least you will be able to restore that checkpoint to have your current setting back.

To save a checkpoint click on File | Checkpoints | Exit and Save Checkpoint. That will save the current settings that are included in the checkpoint. Note the date and time as that is the way the checkpoints are identified.

Restart BW. Click on File | Checkpoints | Restore/Delete Checkpoint. Select the most recent check point after the one that was just created. Restore it. Test to see if the problem still exists. If it does, choose the next checkpoint until it the problem is gone.

If you have tried all of the checkpoints and none help, then you could try deleting the BW initialization file. Close BW. Hold down the shift key while you start BW. It should open a window "BibleWorks Trouble-Shooting Options." Choose Option 1, first checkbox (Delete the BW1000.INI file). Click on "Perform the selected ..." box. You will lose many of your settings doing this. (Note: You can also use this window to restore checkpoints.)

If that does not solve the problem, revert back to the checkpoint you saved at the beginning. Using the installation media and the repair option in it might fix the problem. If not, using the installation media again and uninstalling BW, then rebooting the computer, and then reinstalling BW might fix the problem. But using the workarounds might be simpler than reinstalling BW or deleting the BW1000.INI file.
    Last edited by now john; 09-12-2018 at 10:13 AM. Reason: clarification

Default Other problem

Thank you. I was not aware there was an update. I am doing that now. If that does not work I will check the "work arounds" you suggested. God bless you my friend.

Default Failed to load

Has anyone had GUI problems when initially loading BW? My ap was flickering for a while and then finally would shut down after the files were loaded and it indicated them
    to be registered. John was quite helpful to rule out the limit count for reinstalling as M Bushnell announced that simply uninstalling and reinstalling would not affect the number of available installations one has before the limit is met. But I'm running WIndows 10 and haven't a clue where to look for the problem.