Thread: Greek and Hebrew texts are showing up as weird English characters

Unhappy Greek and Hebrew texts are showing up as weird English characters

I just transferred my BW program from old laptop to new one.
    The program itself seems to be operational. I use it every week in sermon prep, with parallel texts in Hebrew, Greek, Latin, English & Spanish.
    But GNT and WTT which I used before, now are unreadable. They are definitely not Greek and Hebrew!
    Since I operate other programs like Nota Bene with the Biblical text databases on this laptop, and have the keyboards and fonts activated in Windows 10, I donīt think itīs a computer problem. What should I do? I have relied on this parallel line up!

It does sound like a font issue. Nota Bene handles fonts separately and differently from BibleWorks, and the Windows font/keyboard settings may be yet another separate setup. Is it only GNT and WTT, or other Greek and Hebrew/Aramaic texts as well? Have you tried rebooting the computer, which should reset the BibleWorks fonts for the display system?
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

I just reread your post, and focused on the first sentence. How did you transfer the BW installation? If you did a regular install from BW media (disk or USB drive), it should have installed all the fonts properly. But computer errors do happen, and you might want to try reinstalling to be sure all the fonts are there.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Is this a problem only in the Parallel Versions Window or in all BW windows? Could you copy and paste so that we could see a sample of the unreadable text or include a screen shot of it?

I suggest reinstalling the fonts. On Windows you can close BibleWorks, then while holding down the shift key reopen BW. This opens the Trouble-shooting Options window. Under option 2 you can select the option to reinstall the fonts. On the Mac you can open BW then under the program menu select the BibleWorks menu item, then select to Run the trouble-shooting options. Select the options under option 2 to reinstall the fonts.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver