Thread: Update problem

Default Update problem

I've been at 10.0.8.667 (MCW 10-43) for a few weeks without seeing an update. If I do Help > Check for Updates, no recommended or optional updates are shown. This is surprising because there are a number of foreign language Bible updates I haven't installed because I don't know the language. Is there a problem with the update server?

I also show 10.0.8.667. When I attempt to check for updates, there are none.

From https://www.bibleworks.com/

"We will, Lord willing, continue to provide compatibility fixes for BibleWorks 10 well into the future. This will ensure that you can continue to use the program for the long term. Compatibility updates will be provided through the normal updater mechanism within the program."

Since BibleWorks has closed, the compatibility updates may be the only updates that will be released in the future.

Default Updates

All updates have been removed to minimize bandwidth usage. Currently the only way to get all updates is to grab the latest posted ISO file and do an installation. After that updates can be obtained as before. This basically resets the update queue to allow me to operate at a lower server cost.
    Mike

Default Future updates

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    All updates have been removed to minimize bandwidth usage. Currently the only way to get all updates is to grab the latest posted ISO file and do an installation. After that updates can be obtained as before. This basically resets the update queue to allow me to operate at a lower server cost.
    Mike
    Am I understanding right that to get future updates we nee to download the ISO and reinstall Bibleworks? I certainly want to stay as current as possible with any fixes as windows changes but didn't realize I needed to do a new installation. Thank you again for this wonderful tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Nord Zootman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Mike
    Am I understanding right that to get future updates we nee to download the ISO and reinstall Bibleworks? I certainly want to stay as current as possible with any fixes as windows changes but didn't realize I needed to do a new installation. Thank you again for this wonderful tool.
    And if so, I don't understand how this saves bandwidth. It would seem rather to greatly increase it by requiring everyone to download the multi-GB ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by Nord Zootman View Post
    My understanding, possibly flawed, is that new updates will be posted, and will show up on the "Help/Check for Updates" window. What have been removed are all the updates issued before the ISO, so you only need to download the ISO if you now want to add one or more of the versions or modules that were added via update after you bought BW10, that you chose not to download before.

--Jim
    Last edited by Jim Wert; 08-19-2018 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Attempt to clarify.

Thank you Jim. That makes sense to me, I just wasn't reading it right.

Unhappy That's Greek to me---except I understand Greek

I'm lost. I just reinstalled BibleWorks on my new PC. In March I received an email with all the codes for modules I had bought from BibleWorks, some by download. I tried to reinstall these but nothing works. Am I ______? And out hundreds of dollars? It says to install SOLO but that page doesn't work. What is ISO?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by MBD View Post
    I'm lost. I just reinstalled BibleWorks on my new PC. In March I received an email with all the codes for modules I had bought from BibleWorks, some by download. I tried to reinstall these but nothing works. Am I ______? And out hundreds of dollars? It says to install SOLO but that page doesn't work. What is ISO?

Michael
    As long as you have the activation codes you can recover.

From now on when you need to reinstall BW you should use the latest ISO. The current ISO is at https://drive.google.com/open?id=13F...ntmG8jfcRxU2ha.
    You can find a link to the latest ISO at https://www.bibleworks.com/ and then click on Downloads.

Since BW has closed the updates to the ISO itself will be comparatively rare. But once you do install using the ISO, any other updates that came after the creation of the ISO will be available.

The ISO is a very large file and a "File Manager" is very strongly recommended. I used http://dn3.freedownloadmanager.org/5..._x64_setup.exe

Download FreeDownloadManager and install it. Try downloading some files with it to confirm that it works for you. Then download the BW ISO. (Remember the location that you downloaded it to.)

On Windows 10 the iso file that you downloaded can be found using File Explorer. Double clicking the ISO will create a new temporary drive (often D:\) that will open in File Explorer (if not, you can find it with File Explorer). You double click the setup file (There are two in the latest ISO. Choose the Application or .exe file not the Configuration or .ini or .inx file) on the new drive that you will find there and the installation will begin. The new drive will disappear when the computer is rebooted.

Everything after beginning the installation should be familiar if you have installed and activated BW before.

Post back if there are additional questions, giving the steps you took and what happened if something went wrong. Or asking for clarification if something isn't clear.
    Last edited by now john; 10-01-2018 at 10:07 AM.