Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open Source BibleWorks

Default Why Not Just Continue To Sell It or Sell The Rights To It?

Why such a depressing ending? Why not sell the rights to someone willing to continue on or make it free for download for all to use? Are there royalties being paid every time a copy is sold?

As for why, of course we have little more information than has appeared from Mike on these forums. For me personally, the thought of a free BibleWorks that did not contain the copyrighted Greek, Hebrew, and other ancient language resources of BW10, as well as other copyrighted resources, would be a much, much more depressing ending. There are lots of free Bible-search tools online. People have paid good money for BW over the years precisely because it does things and has resources that can't be gotten for free. Something that does not offer what BW currently offers, I myself can't see as a future for BibleWorks. Its search engine is marvelous, and perhaps that could be continued open source. The question for me is what it would be able to search.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default Open Source

It is very unlikely that there will ever be an open source BibleWorks. The door is not closed on other alternatives, but we can't even think about that until the dust is settled from the closure. We do appreciate prayers.
    Mike

Mike, you have our prayers and gratitude.

I agree that an "open source" program without the paid and licensed resources would not be worth calling Bibleworks. I'm not interested in the BW system without the BW products.

Two of the biggest losses, for me, would be the tagged manuscript photos and the grammars. But BW without Nestle-Aland, LXX and BHS and the non-free English versions just doesn't seem to be a product with an purpose or clientele.

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    It is very unlikely that there will ever be an open source BibleWorks. The door is not closed on other alternatives, but we can't even think about that until the dust is settled from the closure. We do appreciate prayers.
    Mike
    I'm interested in those other alternatives. Do you have something in mind? How could one help?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkiYahu View Post
    It seems your very negative about it - there are a lot of material these days in the free public world, it's not all bad you know - actually being free, it is open for the people and can be used by the people not having much of mammon in this world.
    The free resources have always been the best. But they are already available in free software, such as eSword.

There are huge problems with Open Source developers. They love to write new code that is fun to write. They hate tracing through someone else's code to track down bugs. And nobody can force them to do something they don't really want to do, as they are not being paid. This is why each new version of Linux has lots of new features, but still has 10 year old bugs that haven't been fixed. And is why Linux was not successful as a server until a for-profit company (Red Hat, Novel, Sun, Microsoft) got into developing it and invested in doing all those bug fixes so they could sell a reliable product.

As an old C and later C++ / MFC programmer, I have often thought of writing a cross platform Bible software in QT that would run on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android. etc. But I lack the free time to do this as a hobby. Such a program could feasibly use free resources and those imported from other platforms, e-sword modules for example. The reality though is that there is not really a need for such a program. If you developed it to give away free, you would surely have a small group of grateful people. But programs like this, there are dozens of them out there already.

What software are you using now?

Quote Originally Posted by johns View Post
    The free resources have always been the best. But they are already available in free software, such as eSword.

There are huge problems with Open Source developers. They love to write new code that is fun to write. They hate tracing through someone else's code to track down bugs. And nobody can force them to do something they don't really want to do, as they are not being paid. This is why each new version of Linux has lots of new features, but still has 10 year old bugs that haven't been fixed. And is why Linux was not successful as a server until a for-profit company (Red Hat, Novel, Sun, Microsoft) got into developing it and invested in doing all those bug fixes so they could sell a reliable product.

As an old C and later C++ / MFC programmer, I have often thought of writing a cross platform Bible software in QT that would run on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android. etc. But I lack the free time to do this as a hobby. Such a program could feasibly use free resources and those imported from other platforms, e-sword modules for example. The reality though is that there is not really a need for such a program. If you developed it to give away free, you would surely have a small group of grateful people. But programs like this, there are dozens of them out there already.

What software are you using now?
    I'm mostly using myWord on the computer and have mySword on the Mobile - I have yet to get any of the 3 Big programs *Logo's, Accordance, Bibleworks* and had my eyes on Bibleworks, yet now that they have closed down, I'm am in a dilemma what to do. I have my windows setup pretty close to Bibleworks in myWord as I liked it and knew if I would jump on the wagon of Bibleworks I would at least be accustomed to some of the layout already.
    Last edited by DarkiYahu; 08-07-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ACAdams View Post
    Mike, you have our prayers and gratitude.

I agree that an "open source" program without the paid and licensed resources would not be worth calling Bibleworks. I'm not interested in the BW system without the BW products.

Two of the biggest losses, for me, would be the tagged manuscript photos and the grammars. But BW without Nestle-Aland, LXX and BHS and the non-free English versions just doesn't seem to be a product with an purpose or clientele.
    This....

If I wanted something other than what BW is now I would switch to something else.

I suppose we could brain storm and speculate all day long. I think I'll just pray as Mike has asked.

Blessings,
    Dave
    David Spear
    Calvary Chapel of Manassas
    Manassas, Va. 20110
    http://www.calvarychapelmanassas.org/
    KJV Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without (apart from) the deeds of the law.