Thread: Hebrew verbs

Default Hebrew verbs

Can anyone help me figure out how to search for particular verb cases in the Hebrew? I am trying to search for a list of the imperfect and the perfect verbs occurring in the Hebrew. How do I do this? Thanks.
    Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by jessevfrazer View Post
    Can anyone help me figure out how to search for particular verb cases in the Hebrew? I am trying to search for a list of the imperfect and the perfect verbs occurring in the Hebrew. How do I do this? Thanks. Jesse
    Open BW. Main tool bar, help, BibleWorks help contents, 41 Command Line - Greek and Hebrew gives an overview of how to do this.

On the main tool bar click on this icon: @v*. If that icon is not visible, click on the toolbar setup icon. It has three rectangles in a line above a gear (wheel). The BibleWorks Toolbar Editor will appear. Find the @v* icon in the left hand column and add it to the right hand column. Click OK. Then click on the @v* icon in the main toolbar and the Morphology Assistant will open. For Version select WTM. For POS select verb, Language ~ Hebrew, Stem ~ any, Aspect ~ p. Then for Lemma *. If you export that you will see *@v?p on the command line. Enter a final * giving .@v?p* then hit enter.

That will give a list of all Hebrew perfect verbs. The same with an i instead of the p creates a list of all Hebrew imperfect verbs.

Typing .bra@v?p* will show all of the perfect forms of the Hebrew verb for arb create.

The simplest thing to do is to right click on the command line and check Command Line Morphology Help. Then typing .*@ in the command line will bring up the Hebrew morpholgy menu.
    Last edited by now john; 06-07-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Default Hebrew vowels

Thank you for your response,
    I have figured out how to use the command line to a degree and have been working through it. Let me tell you what I am trying to do, I am trying to actually find all of a certain verb tense as the imperfect in a particular order. Such as finding all of the perfect verbs that occur in the first position. As you know the verb can occur in the first position in the sentence or it can occur later on. And I am trying to use the Graphical Search Engine, because I don't think I can do it with the command line...specify the position the verb occurs in using the command line. I have tried to use the graphical search engine several times over the years and would love to master it.
    If you could help me figure this one out I would be greatly indebted to you. Thank you for your time on here, by the way. God bless you for your work.
    Jesse

Thank you for your response,
    I have figured out how to use the command line to a degree and have been working through it. Let me tell you what I am trying to do, I am trying to actually find all of a certain verb tense as the imperfect in a particular order. Such as finding all of the perfect verbs that occur in the first position. As you know the verb can occur in the first position in the sentence or it can occur later on. And I am trying to use the Graphical Search Engine, because I don't think I can do it with the command line...specify the position the verb occurs in using the command line. I have tried to use the graphical search engine several times over the years and would love to master it.
    If you could help me figure this one out I would be greatly indebted to you. Thank you for your time on here, by the way. God bless you for your work.
    Jesse
    It can be helpful at times to begin a search on the command line. In this case search the WTM for .*@v?i*
    Running the search shows that the highlighted verbs are imperfect. Reload the search into the command line by typing the up arrow in the command line.

Main tool bar, Search, Graphical Search Engine opens the GSE with the search for imperfect verbs displayed. Click on the search string. In the Word Box Options Find Position. Check the small box. Confirm that 2 is in the larger Position box and from beginning is selected. This search will find all of the imperfect verbs in the second position in the WTM.

This search finds all of the imperfect verbs in the WTM that are in the second position in the verse. But entire verses and entire sentences are often different. Secondly the WTT and the WTM count position differently because in the WTT a prefix + word is counted as one word. It is counted as two in the WTM.

Name:  imperfect second in verse.png
Views: 98
Size:  53.3 KB

A link to the qf file is below:

imperfect second in verse.qf

Hopefully this will give you a place to start. Let me know if you have more questions.
    Last edited by now john; 06-08-2020 at 10:13 PM.

Default Hebrew vowels

John,
    The command line option does show me more results, I am guessing the exhaustive list, that I can just go through one by one and get my information that I am after. The graphic search eliminated the verbs that occur later on in the sentence. In other words it showed the 2 position verbs but not the rest of the verbs in the same sentence, which is more important to me in my search.
    I figured out something through, the search I am looking for could be found by including in the search criteria the waw-consecutive. I did see that it is possible to add this, So what would be the best search method to search for all verbs, p or i, following a waw-consecutive. And possibly all the verbs following a waw-consecutive in the 2nd position?
    Thank you for your help again,
    Jesse

John,
    The command line option does show me more results, I am guessing the exhaustive list, that I can just go through one by one and get my information that I am after. The graphic search eliminated the verbs that occur later on in the sentence. In other words it showed the 2 position verbs but not the rest of the verbs in the same sentence, which is more important to me in my search.
    I figured out something through, the search I am looking for could be found by including in the search criteria the waw-consecutive. I did see that it is possible to add this, So what would be the best search method to search for all verbs, p or i, following a waw-consecutive. And possibly all the verbs following a waw-consecutive in the 2nd position?
    Thank you for your help again,
    Jesse
    I sent you a private message.

Quote Originally Posted by now john View Post
    Open BW. Main tool bar, help, BibleWorks help contents, 41 Command Line - Greek and Hebrew gives an overview of how to do this.

On the main tool bar click on this icon: @v*. If that icon is not visible, click on the toolbar setup icon. It has three rectangles in a line above a gear (wheel). The BibleWorks Toolbar Editor will appear. Find the @v* icon in the left hand column and add it to the right hand column. Click OK. Then click on the @v* icon in the main toolbar and the Morphology Assistant will open. For Version select WTM. For POS select verb, Language ~ Hebrew, Stem ~ any, Aspect ~ p. Then for Lemma *. If you export that you will see *@v?p on the command line. Enter a final * giving .@v?p* then hit enter.
    cps podcast
    That will give a list of all Hebrew perfect verbs. The same with an i instead of the p creates a list of all Hebrew imperfect verbs.
    click here
    Typing .bra@v?p* will show all of the perfect forms of the Hebrew verb for arb create.

The simplest thing to do is to right click on the command line and check Command Line Morphology Help. Then typing .*@ in the command line will bring up the Hebrew morpholgy menu.
    Thank you so much, this helped me a lot!