Thread: BW10 seems frozen, can't do anything with it

Default BW10 seems frozen, can't do anything with it

Hi, I'm using BibleWorks 10.0.8.651 on Windows 10 Home. Windows 10 is running in a VirtualBox virtual machine within a Mac. I've had it running this way since the beginning of my using BW (maybe v. 9, IIRC).

Recently something happened with Windows (I don't really know what), and after that BW will launch as if everything is normal, and the cursor can be moved around the screen, but clicking will do nothing. E.g., if I put the cursor over a menu item, the item (say, "File") background is highlighted in gray. However, when I click it just turns back to a black background and nothing happens.

I had another program in Windows that also hung after some Windows glitch, and I ended up totally deleting it and reinstalling it via download.

However, now that BW is not exactly supported, I'm a bit afraid to just delete stuff. I have a thumb drive that is supposed to have BW10 on it (I put it on there on June 2, 2017). However, I just plugged the thumbdrive into my computer, and for whatever reason the computer doesn't even see the thumbdrive, so I guess the thumbdrive is dead. I also ordered a thumbdrive from BW in the closing days of the company, but it's in the USA and I'm overseas.

So, I'm wondering what would be my best next move.

Right now I'm downloading the 22GB .iso file linked on the BW homepage (https://www.bibleworks.com/). I don't know if it'll download successfully or not. I am doing it on the Mac side, since I try not to use much internet on the Windows side. I tried to use the Foxl download manager (free version) for Mac, but every link I tried to copy just downloaded some little file or failed completely.

If anyone has advice, I'd be most grateful. Lord willing, I'll be stateside briefly this year and will be able to pick up the thumbdrive I ordered from BW. But until then it'd sure be nice to have a working version of BW10.

Thanks!
    Eric

Default Get a download manager for your Browser.

There exist Download managers for Browsers that can make multiple connections and make your download reach to the end.
    It is a big download for sure, 22 GB - so see if you can find one of those download managers for one of your browsers and get it from there.

Maybe they should have fixed a Torrent file up for people to be able to download it from - then other people would be able to help spread it to people and one would get a full download without it breaking at some point.

Hope it works for you - you have the code for Bibleworks 10 so you can reinstall it? At least at some point you would run into an issue of needing to reinstall it - so... Maybe it is a good time to test if it works.

I wanted to help you with a Torrent link - but the file I thought I had downloaded is broken as well - heh... Would have been smarter releasing it as a Torrent file or at least have kept it as a possibility for people

So to the Bibleworks people - Look into making a Torrent of the file, people will also be able to help you with the bandwidth as they will be able to host the file as well.
    Last edited by DarkiYahu; 07-26-2018 at 06:15 PM.

Default Downloaded .iso file is correct. What to do next?

The file downloaded fine. I checked the hash code for BibleWorks10rev6.iso, and it's df2034cd43118dcb03126c8d414adbd3, which is what was reported as the correct hash code at this link: https://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sh...n-image-posted.

So now I'm wondering what do do so that I don't delete any of my preferences (if possible). Do I just uninstall BW10 with the Windows10 "Add/Remove Apps" program? Or I use I/O Uninstaller to do a deep search for relics of BW?

BTW, I think the last time I closed BW10, I did save a checkpoint, if that makes any difference. But since I cannot get the "File" menu item to work (or any other menu item), I cannot restore.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer!

Edit: No need to respond – for whatever reason, after forcing BW to close via Task Manager, when I reopened it, it began to work normally, best I can tell. Best I can tell the problem is solved.
    Last edited by ETC; 07-27-2018 at 02:36 AM. Reason: BW is now working!

Quote Originally Posted by ETC View Post
    The file downloaded fine. I checked the hash code for BibleWorks10rev6.iso, and it's df2034cd43118dcb03126c8d414adbd3, which is what was reported as the correct hash code at this link: https://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sh...n-image-posted.

So now I'm wondering what do do so that I don't delete any of my preferences (if possible). Do I just uninstall BW10 with the Windows10 "Add/Remove Apps" program? Or I use I/O Uninstaller to do a deep search for relics of BW?

BTW, I think the last time I closed BW10, I did save a checkpoint, if that makes any difference. But since I cannot get the "File" menu item to work (or any other menu item), I cannot restore.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer!

Edit: No need to respond for whatever reason, after forcing BW to close via Task Manager, when I reopened it, it began to work normally, best I can tell. Best I can tell the problem is solved.
    That's the thing with computers, when they work its all good - but sadly they tend to go there own way, and it has not gotten better with time. There was a time when computers did either 0 or 1 - now a days it seems more analog and Woman like where you can try to do the same thing twice and have 2 different results.
    Nice you got it sorted