Thread: Text Comparison LXX/Theodotion

Default Text Comparison LXX/Theodotion

Is there a way I can set up text comparison settings to compare the LXX and Theodotion (book of Daniel). Since the texts are both part of the BGT, I am not sure how to do this.
    Skip Tyler

Ἀμὴν ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν ὅτι ὁ τὸν λόγον
    μου ἀκούων καὶ πιστεύων τῷ πέμψαντί με ἔχει
    ζωὴν αἰώνιον καὶ εἰς κρίσιν οὐκ ἔρχεται, ἀλλὰ
    μεταβέβηκεν ἐκ τοῦ θανάτου εἰς τὴν ζωήν. (Joh 5:24 BGT)

Yes indeed! (maybe...)
    Go to Dan 1.1
    On command line: d c bgt lxtv nets
    With your mouse clicked somewhere in the Browse pane, hit the letter "e" to toggle on/off text comparison.

If your BGT text shows both LXX versions, then it means that you have toggled that option on under:
    Tools > Options > General > Flags > General Greek Options > "Show all LXX variants in Browse Window"
    If you uncheck that box, then the BGT will only show the 'LXX' text, and it's easier to compare with the TH version.

My "maybe" above is because I'm not sure when/how I got the LXTV version that @Mark Eddy generated. I think it's in the regular BW10. If Mark is still checking here, he may be able to help. (LXTV is not on the "Old in the New" blog where most other modules like this were stored.)

If not, then go to this post on the forum where Pasquale uploaded a version of Swete's LXX. Unzip and install that, and you can then compare LXT or BGT with LXX-SW.

And you may also want to check: A comparative study of the Theodotionic and Septuagint translations of Daniel
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    I'm not sure when/how I got the LXTV version that @Mark Eddy generated. I think it's in the regular BW10.
    I don't believe it is--at least I don't have it.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

One easy way is to take advantage of the fact that in BGT, Theodotion Daniel immediately follows LXX Daniel. As Michael said, hit "e" to toggle text comparison on. Make BGT your browse version. Be sure you have synchronization turned off between the Browse Window and the Browse tab of the Analysis Window (click the 3-lines menu button in the Browse tab and uncheck the items at the end of the list). In the Browse Window, go to Daniel 1:1 LXX. In the Browse tab, go to Daniel (TH) 1:1 in the book-chooser. I find that if the comparison highlighting doesn't shows up in Theodotion immediately, it will whenever I change the chapter or verse selection.

EDIT: Another way to do this: It may be visually even simpler to use a Parallel Versions Window. Again, hit "e" to toggle text comparison on, and make BGT your browse version. Go to the Tools menu, then Viewing the Text, then Parallel Versions Window. In the dialog, select Greek in the left column, and then BGT in the right (or LXT). Click the Add button twice. Then click OK. This will open a large new window with two panels, both displaying BGT (or LXT). In the left, select Daniel; in the right, Daniel (TH). Use the chapter/verse controls at the top to browse through the two versions independently of each other.
    Last edited by DavidR; 07-14-2018 at 01:31 PM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Hmm... I like DavidR's idea of matching up the Browse Window with the Browse Tab, but I couldn't make the differences show up.
    It did work well, however, to use his second idea of setting up a Parallel versions window. I'll want to remember to think of that.
    For either, remember that you need to go into the option flags and turn off the "Show all LXX variants"
    Thanks, David.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Yes indeed! (maybe...)

My "maybe" above is because I'm not sure when/how I got the LXTV version that @Mark Eddy generated. I think it's in the regular BW10. If Mark is still checking here, he may be able to help. (LXTV is not on the "Old in the New" blog where most other modules like this were stored.)
    I am still checking here, and I did make the LXTV available to beta testers a couple versions ago. My companion LXTM is not quite complete, so I have not made it available on the blog. If someone would like my version of the LXX variants to compile on your computer, you can e-mail me at my name without a space at att.net.
    I have been using it for many years without problems, but during beta testing some users traced crashes to this version, and the programmers kept it out of the basic BibleWorks package. Apparently the name LXTV conflicted with some other files in BibleWorks containing the letters lxt. I rename it EXTV when I compile it on my computer, and I have had no conflicts since. But, because the morphology version is not totally complete (for verses not in the apocrypha), some lemma searches on LXTV will not yield correct results. I also have alternate verse map files for LXT which will make the comparison line up slightly better.
    Mark Eddy