Thread: Backup copy of BW10 USB thumb drive

Default Backup copy of BW10 USB thumb drive

I wish to make a copy of my BW10 USB thumb drive, essentially copying everything to another new USB thumb drive. In case I lose the original one, I will still have a backup copy.

Does anyone know if I can simply use the Copy & Paste functions of Windows (7 or 10) to achieve my goal?
    Are there any hidden files that cannot be copied and might need a more powerful separate backup software?
    If so, what do you suggest? Is freeware EaseUS Todo Backup Free good enough?

Thank you for your input.

Matt

Hi Matt,

The copy functions work just fine. I made a backup by copying the files from the flash drive to my hard drive, then copying the files to a new, formatted 32gb flash drive. The drive works just fine.

I don't know if a backup utility would change anything or not.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

Quote Originally Posted by shalommatt View Post
    I wish to make a copy of my BW10 USB thumb drive, essentially copying everything to another new USB thumb drive. In case I lose the original one, I will still have a backup copy.

Does anyone know if I can simply use the Copy & Paste functions of Windows (7 or 10) to achieve my goal?
    Are there any hidden files that cannot be copied and might need a more powerful separate backup software?
    If so, what do you suggest? Is freeware EaseUS Todo Backup Free good enough?

Thank you for your input.

Matt
    On Windows 10 the answer is Yes. Copy and paste works. There are no hidden files. More powerful software is not needed to make a successful copy. Make sure that you have a 32GB drive. The new USB thumb drive should be formatted first. All data on the thumb drive will be destroyed by the format. So don't even have your BW10 thumb drive in the computer when you do this lest you destroy the files on it if you choose the wrong drive by mistake.

Open File Explorer, find the drive, right click on it and click on Format... In the new window at File System select exFat. (The thumb drives BibleWorks ships out are formatted this way.) Uncheck Quick Format and click Start. (Leave the other settings untouched.) A slow format could take a long time but it makes sure that the drive is working normally. A low percentage of drives fail the format. You might be able to do a quick format and the copy and paste and not find the defect until during an attempted installation it failed because a file could not be read properly.

Now install the BW10 thumb drive in your computer. I made a folder that I called setup and copied the files to it. I also copied all of my activation codes and all of my BW user created files and notes to the rest of the new thumb drive.

I copied the entire thumb drive to the new computer and used the new computer's copy to install BW10. Then I stored the thumb drive in my safety deposit box. It is the most valuable item I store in that box.
    Last edited by now john; 07-10-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Default copying USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by now john View Post
    On Windows 10 the answer is Yes. Copy and paste works. There are no hidden files. More powerful software is not needed to make a successful copy. Make sure that you have a 32GB drive. The new USB thumb drive should be formatted first. All data on the thumb drive will be destroyed by the format. So don't even have your BW10 thumb drive in the computer when you do this lest you destroy the files on it if you choose the wrong drive by mistake.

Open File Explorer, find the drive, right click on it and click on Format... In the new window at File System select exFat. (The thumb drives BibleWorks ships out are formatted this way.) Uncheck Quick Format and click Start. (Leave the other settings untouched.) A slow format could take a long time but it makes sure that the drive is working normally. A low percentage of drives fail the format. You might be able to do a quick format and the copy and paste and not find the defect until during an attempted installation it failed because a file could not be read properly.

Now install the BW10 thumb drive in your computer. I made a folder that I called setup and copied the files to it. I also copied all of my activation codes and all of my BW user created files and notes to the rest of the new thumb drive.

I copied the entire thumb drive to the new computer and used the new computer's copy to install BW10. Then I stored the thumb drive in my safety deposit box. It is the most valuable item I store in that box.
    If you want to verify that the copy is a good copy, run bwcheckdisk.exe on the USB drive.
    Mike

Thanks to Glenn, now john and Mike.